User Tag List

123 Last

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Default Living in the wild

I'm thinking of taking the plunge. Contunuing ina full time job, dropping school, and saving all my money to get started on living on my own SOMEWHERE away from people. Just me, nature, and all the animals I can hunt for free and plants I can grow. Logistically, I need three things more than anything else:

1. Land where it'd be legal for me to live off of with limited tax liabilities and other intrusions by government regulation meant to prevent people from being self sufficient and living outside of society. Outside the U.S. if need be.

2. A hardy location with enough water to support 1 human being, enough animals to hunt (no problem if this is a location near the ocean).

3. A good climate fit for growing a few crops and mild winters. A location with a fair amount of wild edible flora would be a plus.

Hunter/gatherer sort of living with a bit agricultural action. Preferably I shouldn't really NEED to raise any livestock, but it'd be an open possibility. It might be more of a necessity if I have to pay a lot of money annually to the government or what have you. The money I save should be enough to supply my tools and starting seeds or possible land costs for a year, though I could make plans to make room to produce a surplus of food items which could be sold.

In any case, does anyone have any ideas or suggestions? The hardest part is obviously finding a good location where you will be ALLOWED to live this way. This is something that should be open to every American in this vast country (of vast swaths of federal land forfeited by the dumb ass states), but alas, that quality has fallen by the wayside as so many things in this country have. Hunting, fishing, growing food, shitting outside; that's easy crap. I'd just need to hone my skills a bit before making the journey and learn quite a few things while saving the money.

MBTI
    ISTx

Alaska!

Make sure you have an allotment set for your internet bill, wherever you may be. Updates, pics, stories etc. will be needed.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Yeah, with internet and 3.18 posts per day? Good luck... INTPs don't do this, at least not without a nearby library. You'd be dead in a month.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Internet aint shit when you have more important, basic, and fundamental things to focus on. Add to that im well disciplined in meditation and marrtial arts, so mental or physical fortitude is no issue whatsoever. Being among an ill society is what saps a person of his/her strength. So does anyone have any serious advice on the subject?

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Risen View Post
    Being among an ill society is what saps a person of his/her strength.
    Are things really that tough on the streets of San Diego??

But seriously, this book could be helpful:

Amazon.com: How to Live in the Woods: Sam Martin, Christian Casucci: Books

MBTI
    ISTx

Quote Originally Posted by Risen View Post
    Internet aint shit when you have more important, basic, and fundamental things to focus on. Add to that im well disciplined in meditation and marrtial arts, so mental or physical fortitude is no issue whatsoever. Being among an ill society is what saps a person of his/her strength. So does anyone have any serious advice on the subject?
    My Alaska recommendation was serious... Make it out there on your own and I'll call you a man.

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

I'd rather hit Australia. Sunny and no Eskimos.

MBTI
    ISTx

Well, yeah... Australia would be a neat spot and would probably cater more to Risen's criteria. However, if you want to test your limits, I think Alaska is a good place for that. "Into the Wild" ftw.

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

Can I come with? *dreams*
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

One of my most common daydreams I love to dream about is being sent back in time to prehistoric age building my own home and learning to fend for myself. Yeah, sounds weird, but I can get completely lost in that thought.

...Occasionally there's also a girl. But that depends on when last I masturbated.

Hats off to you if you manage, I might become a ( very far away ) neighbour of yours sometime.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf