User Tag List

First 4567 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI

If I were going to do this my concern would more be making sure I knew what veggies were eddible where I was going. Past that I'd do more of a migratory living using a tent that I could line to deal with summer and winter. After that it's more just pack things up on my back go some place, squat for 3 weeks, pack up and move to another location. I'd try and stay near streams and get my protien from fish while grazing on whatever berries and such I can pick up. I hear if you make a tea out of conifer needles you can keep your vitamin C intake up as well. The only other problem, for me, that I can forsee is that I'd get lonely after a while.
    Dreams are best served manifest and tangible.

INFP, 6w7, IEI

I accept no responsibility, what so ever, for the fact that I exist; I do, however, accept full responsibility for what I do while I exist.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    IsTP

Every time I've went camping I had one item that was invaluable : A bowsaw

Awesome for cutting down limbs or sawing up a dead tree for firewood. Its a lot of work, but less maintenence intensive then a chainsaw.
    ...Then I ducked my head and the lights went out, and two guns blazed in the dark;
    And a woman screamed, and the lights went up, and two men lay stiff and stark...

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI

I have a fold away camp saw that works nice for that exact reason.
    Dreams are best served manifest and tangible.

INFP, 6w7, IEI

I accept no responsibility, what so ever, for the fact that I exist; I do, however, accept full responsibility for what I do while I exist.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INTP

I thought you meant this would be an indefinite arrangement, but since you're talking a year, it probably won't take as much planning as I initially thought.

First off, have you done any kind of hunting/fishing before? It's not a sure-bet, and it's also illegal to do without a license and tags. You might want to look into a hunter's safety course if you're set on the idea of hunting for food.

Look for a guidebook that covers edible food in the area you'll be staying. You'd be really surprised how much edible vegetation there is. Something else you might think about is a 'weed garden.' Here's a little article about them : Lazy? Green? Grow a Weed Garden : Planet Green I love dandelions, they're tasty, and you can use all parts of the plant, from leaves for salad, to flowers for eating/fermenting, and even the roots as a coffee substitute.

Since this is a temporary setup, I'd personally go with a travel trailer or a bus or something like that.

One last thing, even as an introvert, you may eventually want some social interaction, so you might think about either finding someone to join up with you, even if for only part of the time. You might also think about setting up camp somewhere vaguely close to civilization.

Quote Originally Posted by runvardh View Post
    I hear if you make a tea out of conifer needles you can keep your vitamin C intake up as well.
    True. Or, you can just grab a handful and chew on them, preferably above horse-butt height along trails. That Christmas tree smell is much stronger as a taste.

Quote Originally Posted by Willfrey View Post
    Every time I've went camping I had one item that was invaluable : A bowsaw
    Yes, a bowsaw and extra blades are indispensible for a steady supply of firewood. It's best paired with a 3/4 to full-sized axe for splitting. A bowsaw blade can be stitched into a heavy leather belt so that it's always with you. It's not too difficult to make a frame from sturdy branches and some cordage, such as someone has done in this photo:

Quote Originally Posted by runvardh View Post
    I have a fold away camp saw that works nice for that exact reason.
    Those work great for smaller diameter firewood and shelter construction. If depending on fire for heat below freezing or so, I'd want a bowsaw.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by JAVO View Post
    Yes, a bowsaw and extra blades are indispensible for a steady supply of firewood.
    Lehman's has a stainless steel collapsible one.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Thanks for all the advice guys. I'm well into the planning stages now.

For one, I'm thinking I'll spend about $2,000 on a portable dome enclosure to live in, or build it myself from bare materials, which would be MUUUUUCH cheaper. Something like this-

Red Sky Shelters : Red Sky Shelters : Yome Home

Coupled with a woodstove for under $1000 (hopefully about $500), a table, and a cheapo bed inside. Outside the area will have a large fire pit and an area sectioned off by barbed or hot wire to keep out unwanted beasts and people. The enclosure will also be adorned with a minimal solar panel setup to run a medium sized high energy efficiency freezer (meant to be powered with solar) to store meat, costing somewhere around $2,000 for the panels and fridge setup altogether. The price for the solar panels could be considerably less if I build them myself. I should also be able to get away with having enough power to run very small appliances on sunny days, or LED lighting at night.

Then I'll probably need to spend around $1,000 on guns and ammo. I need a revolver and a rifle suitable for hunting birds and large game (pigs and deer). Coupled with weapons training and hunting classes, this will likely run me at least $2,000.

Then about $1,500~$2000 or so for tools and bear minimum food provisions, water treatment, other tools and preparations.

This plan should run me about $6,000~$8,000, minus travel expenses or any land expenses. Wherever I plan to go, I intend to maybe try renting a place to stay for a month or so, enough time to order in the larger supplies I need and gather things CLOSE to my new home instead of buying everything in California and moving it across the country.

Now, my biggest logistical issue is figuring out where the heck I can stay. I am considering Idaho, Arkansas (Ozarks area), Montana, or possibly the great lakes region. These areas seem to have lots of open land. The problem is finding land where I can at least somewhat legally go squatting. I'm actually considering federal wilderness preserves which usually seem to be open to hunting and such. I imagine that the state might not come looking for me if I decided to live on those lands, but I'm not sure about that.

I could REAAAALLLLY use some help in pinpointing a good area to use :/.

MBTI
    IsTP

If you don't mind the snow I grew up in rural areas in north-central Idaho (Idaho County) and there are some places I could reccomend, but as far as squatting I have no clue of the legality. In south Idaho it stays pretty dry and the Snake River valley gets a bare minimum of snow (or rainfall for that matter), though of course the terrain is pretty bleak. South Western Idaho has some dry areas that are wooded, the Owayhee mountains for the most part are bare, but areas around Silver City (A badass ghost town) have plenty of trees. Again, Silver City gets dumped on with snow, but the closer you get to the valley floor the less snow you'll run into.

Also... I'm going to pitch again my idea of maybe getting a pickup with a cab-over camper. On the question of legality there is a stark difference of parking your vehicle somewhere for a while as opposed to actually putting down a dome structure...
    ...Then I ducked my head and the lights went out, and two guns blazed in the dark;
    And a woman screamed, and the lights went up, and two men lay stiff and stark...

Here are a few people who have done this:

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYJKd0rkKss"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYJKd0rkKss[/YOUTUBE]

Alone in the Wild - National Geographic Channel

MBTI
    free
    Enneagram
    nope

Really, I suggest becoming exceedingly familiar with this pleasantly broken system of ours, and figuring out how to obtain an allodial title(as I'm sure it's possible, just exceedingly difficult), coupled with owning your straw man(less difficult)(or destroying it, but this would be a more difficult matter as well), and then the world is yours.
    Everyone is a case study.