User Tag List

First 34567 Last

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf View Post
    I don't claim to be a sword expert, but I would venture a guess that a machete is much more useful than a conventional sword. :P
    A mechette is useful and shaped for cutting down vegetation in a hack sort of motion. A sword is created and useful for self defense purposes. In a situation where you never know what might happen while you're out alone in a remote area, it's best to have multiple options. And considering I already have a limited amount of sword and martial arts training, I might as well use that to my advantage. Training is also a good way to keep busy and stay in shape in such an environment.

But above all it's not so much the weapon you use as much as it is KNOWING HOW to use it effectively.

Banned
    MBTI
    type
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Amargith View Post
    Can I come with? *dreams*
    Only if you take care of the meat and other things...

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by Necaberint View Post
    Only if you take care of the meat and other things...
    Don't worry, I think she could handle my meat just fine .

Amargith, i think we would have a blast roughing it outdoors in the wilderness. (and not just for the above reason)

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Risen View Post
    Don't worry, I think she could handle my meat just fine .

Amargith, i think we would have a blast roughing it outdoors in the wilderness. (and not just for the above reason)

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Risen View Post
    I'm thinking of taking the plunge. Contunuing ina full time job, dropping school, and saving all my money to get started on living on my own SOMEWHERE away from people. Just me, nature, and all the animals I can hunt for free and plants I can grow. Logistically, I need three things more than anything else:

1. Land where it'd be legal for me to live off of with limited tax liabilities and other intrusions by government regulation meant to prevent people from being self sufficient and living outside of society. Outside the U.S. if need be.

2. A hardy location with enough water to support 1 human being, enough animals to hunt (no problem if this is a location near the ocean).

3. A good climate fit for growing a few crops and mild winters. A location with a fair amount of wild edible flora would be a plus.

Hunter/gatherer sort of living with a bit agricultural action. Preferably I shouldn't really NEED to raise any livestock, but it'd be an open possibility. It might be more of a necessity if I have to pay a lot of money annually to the government or what have you. The money I save should be enough to supply my tools and starting seeds or possible land costs for a year, though I could make plans to make room to produce a surplus of food items which could be sold.

In any case, does anyone have any ideas or suggestions? The hardest part is obviously finding a good location where you will be ALLOWED to live this way. This is something that should be open to every American in this vast country (of vast swaths of federal land forfeited by the dumb ass states), but alas, that quality has fallen by the wayside as so many things in this country have. Hunting, fishing, growing food, shitting outside; that's easy crap. I'd just need to hone my skills a bit before making the journey and learn quite a few things while saving the money.
    If in the U.S., obviously to fit the above the west-coast states would be more fitting (washington, oregon, california), but also really expensive. Hmm...Hawaii could work too. Would be expensive though.

Out of country might be a better option - central or south america. (In S. America, Ecuador is awesome), but I don't know the legalities of buying land, being an expat, etc).

Re. edible plants and hunting/gathering for subsistence - Read 'Into the Wild' if you haven't already. (haven't read this thread - maybe someone already mentioned it)

Your plan sounds awesome. I hate having to find a job in the 'real world' in order to make a living and survive. :-)
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Have you tried doing any backpacking? Sometimes I feel the "Into the Wild" urge and that usually fixes it. Probably a good idea to dip your toes before you jump in with both feet anyway. I bet there are still some great spots in the Northeast to inhabit, but I'm partial to New England anyway.
    "For a man who wants to make a profession of good in all regards must come to ruin among so many who are not good. Hence it is necessary to a prince, if he wants to maintain himself, to learn to be able not to be good, and to use this and not use it according to necessity."
    Niccolo Machiavelli

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by BallentineChen View Post
    Have you tried doing any backpacking? Sometimes I feel the "Into the Wild" urge and that usually fixes it. Probably a good idea to dip your toes before you jump in with both feet anyway. I bet there are still some great spots in the Northeast to inhabit, but I'm partial to New England anyway.
    I just got back from a solo camping trip (my first ever camping trip) in the mountains for 2 days. Twas a fair challenge between keeping my car alive and taking care of everything that needed to be done at the camping site, not to mention fighting off the insects. I expected it to be bad, but the flies, bees, and mosquitoes were just the triple threat from the bowels of hell. I suppose it could've been worse, but I was going with nothing more than a beach canopy and my Suv for shelter. Brought a plethora of food with me, but water was a bit of a difficulty. I had plenty to drink with, but I had to walk wuite a ways to get access to water I could use to wash my dishes, snuff out campfires, and whatever else.

But for the most part it was a developed campsite, so it could've been much more difficult. I was just lacking some necessary supplies and experience. I'll definitely have to go again, and try backpacking as well. I took some pictures (for as long as my friggin camera would work :/ ), and I'll post them later.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Camping photos of Palomar mountain. Unfortunately, my camera was acting as badly as my car was, so I only managed to get a fraction of the photos I wanted to. Makes me very sad.

First up, the campsite-

A mushroom I found in a nearby tree-

The rest of the area-

Sounds like an ok trip.

A collapsible plastic bag with a spout is useful. There's a 2 gallon one too which would probably be a better size for solo trips.

Amazon.com: Reliance Products 5 Gallon Poly-Bagged Fold-A-Carrier Collapsible Water Carrier: Sports & Outdoors

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by JAVO View Post
    Sounds like an ok trip.

A collapsible plastic bag with a spout is useful. There's a 2 gallon one too which would probably be a better size for solo trips.

Amazon.com: Reliance Products 5 Gallon Poly-Bagged Fold-A-Carrier Collapsible Water Carrier: Sports & Outdoors
    That looks nice. I just improvised with a large bucket lined with a trashbag, and empty 1 gallon drinking water containers. The bucket was mandatory for washing dishes. The trip was great, it was just a lot of work and not enough planning/preparation. I had no choice though, since I chose the timing due to my house being fumigated for 2 days. I had to go somewhere, so to the mountain woods I went :P .