User Tag List

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Default Volcanic Sunsets

Russia's Sarychev Peak volcano erupted June 12th and it's been creating lavender sky at sunset.

Volcano's Eruption Creates Colorful U.S. Sunsets | LiveScience

Volcanic eruptions can make for vivid colors at sunset, but I hadn't seen the lavender effect before. I shot these June 26th & 27th.

New Rome, MN

Hamburg, MN

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

Wow! Those pics are spectacular!

Got more?

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

That's wild!
    I love sunsets and it never crossed my mind that such a thing as Volcanoes might be the culprit.
    Is it that by its indefiniteness it shadows forth the heartless voids and immensities of the universe, and thus stabs us from behind with the thought of annihilation, when beholding the white depths of the milky way?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4

When I got the slides back I was amazed that the sky was so purple. It did look a little odd when I was out there, but the film really picked up the purple hue, and even accentuated it.

Last August when the Kasatochi volcano in Alaska erupted, I watched very pink sunsets for a few weeks. I had read about Sarychev Peak erupting, but didn't put things together until last night.

The image with the corn field is amped up a bit with saturation in Photoshop, but the sky had pronounced purple to begin with, and I couldn't resist how surreal this looked. In those top 2 photos, I only had to lighten the field to balance the image out.

Those were the best shots from that weekend, but I do have more photos at: Flickr: AjRagno's Photostream

I've photographed more than my share of sunsets...

MBTI
    Why?
    Socionics
    SEX

Wicked images SurlyAdam!

... That explains why the sunset yesterday was so vividly red, but I missed the violet(mostly overcast)... It was awesome, I might get some pics later today to see if I can get the violet colours, I'll post them here if you like...

Do you think that the current amount of CME's(coronal mass ejections)that have been occurring lately have anything to do with how the sulfur dioxide is reacting with our atmosphere?
    ... They say that knowledge is free, and to truly acquire wisdom always comes with a price... Well then,... That will be $10, please!

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Prototype View Post
    Do you think that the current amount of CME's(coronal mass ejections)that have been occurring lately have anything to do with how the sulfur dioxide is reacting with our atmosphere?
    WOW! I started reading up so I could give an informed opinion, but my brain began you ache, literally. I have no informed answers on this, sorry... I can say that that sunset and civil twilight are the most amazing time of day, and every sunset is unique. If anything does happen, you can only hope for about 60 seconds of the most spectacular color - beyond imagination. Then everything fades slowly.

Most of my photos are done 5 minutes before sunset - 1/2 hour after sunset (end of civil twilight). I do wish more people took the time to notice (in quiet) what happens at sunset.

I'm pleased ya'll enjoyed the photos.