User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Canadian banks with branches commonly found in the USA?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Default Canadian banks with branches commonly found in the USA?

Anyone know Canadian banks that are commonly located in the USA?

(I want to stick with a Canadian bank I can access in the USA rather than have my money in an American one I can access in Canada.)

I have a little bit of money to put in an account and I want less hassle for when I plan on moving countries next year for grad school. (No, I don't know where I'm moving to. Cali? Hickville? Who knows.)
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

Outside of the large cities which might have large single branches of, say, the Royal Bank (I know there's a Royal Bank in London), you're not going to find branches of Canuck banks, especially in small US towns. I don't think.
    "Only an irrational dumbass, would burn Jews." - Jaguar

"please give concise answers in plain English" - request from Provoker

I know HSBC has branches in both Canada and US... I'm not sure if they're exactly a Canadian bank though. They have branches all over.
    My stuff (design & other junk) lives here: http://nnbox.ca

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Kangirl View Post
    Outside of the large cities which might have large single branches of, say, the Royal Bank (I know there's a Royal Bank in London), you're not going to find branches of Canuck banks, especially in small US towns. I don't think.
    Thanks.

Yeah, I should have been more specific. I realized that there weren't going to be many in general, and none in small towns, but I heard specific places had some. (Apparently BMO (bank of montreal) has a subsidiary under a different name common in the midwest somewhere.)

Quote Originally Posted by nightning View Post
    I know HSBC has branches in both Canada and US... I'm not sure if they're exactly a Canadian bank though. They have branches all over.
    Hmm. Have to check it out--thanks.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

Royal Bank is probably your best bet, they have branches in some of the southern states. Here's a Snowbird Package they offer.

Who do you bank with now? You could ask if they have anything like that.

It's also not a big deal to open an account south of the border at a local US bank and transfer funds between the two accounts. That might be less hassle than setting up something that works between the two countries. Or there is always the option of an internet based bank like ING Direct, with no branches at all.

MBTI
    INXP

I'd go for two banks.. seems to work well enough for me (UK v Canada)

MBTI
    intp

TD Bank?
    hoarding time and space
    A single event can awaken within us a stranger totally unknown to us. To live is to be slowly born.
    — Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Banned Array
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

Quote Originally Posted by INA View Post
    TD Bank?
    ^^^^This one.. Known as TD Canada Trust in Canada.. It's TD Banknorth in the USA..

Best customer service in Canada, have no idea what they are like in the USA..

RBC has an online single point of entry access facility where you can transfer between US and Canadian domiciled accounts.

There are RBC and Scotibanks in the Detroit area but beyond that I am not sure. There are Motor City Community Credit Unions in Windsor. I always found this funny for some reason because there isn't one in Detroit.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.