• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Canadian banks with branches commonly found in the USA?

Usehername

On a mission
Anyone know Canadian banks that are commonly located in the USA?

(I want to stick with a Canadian bank I can access in the USA rather than have my money in an American one I can access in Canada.)

I have a little bit of money to put in an account and I want less hassle for when I plan on moving countries next year for grad school. (No, I don't know where I'm moving to. Cali? Hickville? Who knows.)

Kangirl

I'm a star.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Outside of the large cities which might have large single branches of, say, the Royal Bank (I know there's a Royal Bank in London), you're not going to find branches of Canuck banks, especially in small US towns. I don't think.

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
I know HSBC has branches in both Canada and US... I'm not sure if they're exactly a Canadian bank though. They have branches all over. :alttongue:

Usehername

On a mission
Outside of the large cities which might have large single branches of, say, the Royal Bank (I know there's a Royal Bank in London), you're not going to find branches of Canuck banks, especially in small US towns. I don't think.
Thanks. :)

Yeah, I should have been more specific. I realized that there weren't going to be many in general, and none in small towns, but I heard specific places had some. (Apparently BMO (bank of montreal) has a subsidiary under a different name common in the midwest somewhere.)

I know HSBC has branches in both Canada and US... I'm not sure if they're exactly a Canadian bank though. They have branches all over. :alttongue:
Hmm. Have to check it out--thanks. :)

pippi

MBTI Type
xxxx
Royal Bank is probably your best bet, they have branches in some of the southern states. Here's a Snowbird Package they offer.

Who do you bank with now? You could ask if they have anything like that.

It's also not a big deal to open an account south of the border at a local US bank and transfer funds between the two accounts. That might be less hassle than setting up something that works between the two countries. Or there is always the option of an internet based bank like ING Direct, with no branches at all.

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
I'd go for two banks.. seems to work well enough for me (UK v Canada)

Arclight

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5

^^^^This one.. Known as TD Canada Trust in Canada.. It's TD Banknorth in the USA..

Best customer service in Canada, have no idea what they are like in the USA..

rav3n

RBC has an online single point of entry access facility where you can transfer between US and Canadian domiciled accounts.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
There are RBC and Scotibanks in the Detroit area but beyond that I am not sure. There are Motor City Community Credit Unions in Windsor. I always found this funny for some reason because there isn't one in Detroit.

mcfrdmn

^^^^This one.. Known as TD Canada Trust in Canada.. It's TD Banknorth in the USA..

Best customer service in Canada, have no idea what they are like in the USA..

TD Bank North branches are located throughout Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Northeastern New York State, Rhode Island and Massachusetts.

93JC

Thank you for bringing this to our attention, noob. I don't know what we would have done without you having brought a two-year-old thread back from the depths of the forum.

mcfrdmn

Royal Bank is probably your best bet, they have branches in some of the southern states. Here's a Snowbird Package they offer.

Who do you bank with now? You could ask if they have anything like that.

It's also not a big deal to open an account south of the border at a local US bank and transfer funds between the two accounts. That might be less hassle than setting up something that works between the two countries. Or there is always the option of an internet based bank like ING Direct, with no branches at all.

Royal Bank no longer operates physical branches in the Southeastern USA states.
This past March they sold all their physical branches to PNC Bank.
Royal Bank however operates a virtual bank (RBC Bank Georgia N.A.) operating out of Atlanta, GA.
All deposits must be made to a Royal Bank Canadian based account and then via the internet the funds can be transferred to a RBC Bank Georgia N.A. checking account or Savings account.
Royal Bank Georgia N.A. offers US Visa Cards billed to US addresses for Canadian snowbirds. US $ bills can be paid on line from a RBC Bank Georgia N.A. account
to a US based creditor.

93JC

Good to know. After all, the likelyhood that the affected party didn't figure this all out in the past 2-3 years is astonishingly low.

mcfrdmn

Thanks. :)

Yeah, I should have been more specific. I realized that there weren't going to be many in general, and none in small towns, but I heard specific places had some. (Apparently BMO (bank of montreal) has a subsidiary under a different name common in the midwest somewhere.)

Hmm. Have to check it out--thanks. :)

Bank of Montreal owns and operates Harris Bank Harris Bank branches are located primarily in the Chicago area of the state of Illinois.

mcfrdmn

HSBC Bank's full name is: Hong Kong & Shanghai Banking Corporation.
While they have locations in the USA and Canada they have sold their
Master Card operations in the USA to Capital One Bank, N.A. and are in the process of
selling all their branches in the USA to other banks.
In Canada they still continue to offer HSBC Mastercards, and still operates branches located in Major cities of Canada.