• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Fighting a losing battle

BerberElla

12 and a half weeks
MBTI Type
infp
Against the weeds in my garden.

Everytime I cut them down, they grow even higher and take away more of my garden.

I don't want to use weed killer because I want to grow things once I get the weeds sorted.

I keep popping out there today to tackle it, and coming back to the pc because it's so frustrating lol

How do you get rid of weeds without ruining your garden?

I've only been here a year and haven't really had time to deal with the garden, plus uk weather etc, but there are weeds choking up a rose bush, and some other pretty stuff I can't identify. Are they ruined now or is there a way to save them?

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Hire a gardener, it's what I did. :/

Weeds, I've dealt with them at times, sure, but entirely getting rid of them I never succeeded at. It's like a constant struggle. Pfft. My gardener seems to have it all under good control though.

BerberElla

12 and a half weeks
MBTI Type
infp
Hire a gardener, it's what I did. :/

Weeds, I've dealt with them at times, sure, but entirely getting rid of them I never succeeded at. It's like a constant struggle. Pfft. My gardener seems to have it all under good control though.

I can't afford it. It will have to be all hard work on my part unfortunately. :cry:

I hate chores, gardens are nice to have but it sucks having to fix them.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
You could try my brothers (ENTP) approach to gardening.

Paved stones, fake grass, and a few vases with fake flowers. (lol)

...I should retire, maybe someone that actually knows about this stuff will give you a good tip. ;)

P

Phantonym

Try mulch.

And there's this plastic bag like material (sorry don't know exactly what's it called) to cover some areas in the garden, the plants that you want to grow stick out of it but the weeds are stifled (?) I guess. Makes sense, huh? Hey, I'm no gardener.

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Against the weeds in my garden.

Everytime I cut them down, they grow even higher and take away more of my garden.

I don't want to use weed killer because I want to grow things once I get the weeds sorted.

I keep popping out there today to tackle it, and coming back to the pc because it's so frustrating lol

How do you get rid of weeds without ruining your garden?

I've only been here a year and haven't really had time to deal with the garden, plus uk weather etc, but there are weeds choking up a rose bush, and some other pretty stuff I can't identify. Are they ruined now or is there a way to save them?

i *think* you have to sit on your arse with a spade and pull them out one by one. then my friends tell me (when i've asked them this same q) you have to weed every day. then i've read after it rains, you should run a cultivator (a manual weed machine with sharp points) over the dirt back and forth to help prevent weeds from popping up due to the recent moisture. usually gardeners use some sort of plastic under the mulch cuz you are literally fighting a losing battle.

weeds are the least of my probs. if i beat the weeds, i have deer, if i beat the deer i have field mice. if i beat the mice (can't really) i have the summer frosts........virtually impossible to even have any flowers grow where i am. :boohoo:

good luck! you're in the uk, eh? nice.

BerberElla

12 and a half weeks
MBTI Type
infp
You could try my brothers (ENTP) approach to gardening.

Paved stones, fake grass, and a few vases with fake flowers. (lol)

...I should retire, maybe someone that actually knows about this stuff will give you a good tip. ;)

Haha no way, I love walking on grass, although I'm considering having a clover lawn because it's softer (my friend has one).

Try mulch.

And there's this plastic bag like material (sorry don't know exactly what's it called) to cover some areas in the garden, the plants that you want to grow stick out of it but the weeds are stifled (?) I guess. Makes sense, huh? Hey, I'm no gardener.

I did always used to wonder why people had woodchippings down around plants. I just looked it up, thanks for the heads up. :)

BerberElla

12 and a half weeks
MBTI Type
infp
i *think* you have to sit on your arse with a spade and pull them out one by one. then my friends tell me (when i've asked them this same q) you have to weed every day. then i've read after it rains, you should run a cultivator (a manual weed machine with sharp points) over the dirt back and forth to help prevent weeds from popping up due to the recent moisture. usually gardeners use some sort of plastic under the mulch cuz you are literally fighting a losing battle.

weeds are the least of my probs. if i beat the weeds, i have deer, if i beat the deer i have field mice. if i beat the mice (can't really) i have the summer frosts........virtually impossible to even have any flowers grow where i am. :boohoo:

good luck! you're in the uk, eh? nice.

Wow, I read the rest through tears after the bolded parts. :cry: An everyday chore? :9436:

Hmm time to weigh up my love of greenery with my hatred of hard work.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
You can always admire your neighbours greenery.

BerberElla

12 and a half weeks
MBTI Type
infp
Time to remind my isfj friend that she promised to do my garden for me this year lol if anyone can make it work, she can. :smile:

BerberElla

12 and a half weeks
MBTI Type
infp
That's the spirit!

I need a garden that's green and zen like, but with the minimal upkeep necessary. Or I need to meet an SJ I can take home and keep there with me. :yes:

I would take my friend but I think her kids would find that unfair.

Kingfisher

full of love
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
you don't have to pull them every day, but pretty often. pulling weeds by hand is the most effective.

i personally like the weedy overgrown look. i like weeds, they are just different kinds of plants to me. this is my kind of garden:

myneglectedgarden.jpg

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
you don't have to pull them every day, but pretty often. pulling weeds by hand is the most effective.

i personally like the weedy overgrown look. i like weeds, they are just different kinds of plants to me. this is my kind of garden:

myneglectedgarden.jpg

strange. i don't see you as the gardening type. are you?

BerberElla

12 and a half weeks
MBTI Type
infp

myneglectedgarden.jpg

But they are all prickly lol at least in my garden.

Kingfisher

full of love
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
strange. i don't see you as the gardening type. are you?

oh yeah, for sure!
i had a pretty nice flower garden and a real nice vegetable garden when i lived in washington (near seattle).
right now i only have a vegetable garden. my backyard opens directly into the desert (there is nobody else around), so i just preserve the natural look of the desert in my yard. i have planted some sage and other things, but i let it do it's own thing, an don't do a lot of maintenence.

i have a nice vegetbale garden. i grow a lot of chile peppers, jalapenos, serranos, and big jim peppers. also bell peppers. i also grow a lot of tomatoes (full size and cherry tomatoes). and onions, squash, watermelon, cilantro, peaches.

But they are all prickly lol at least in my garden.

oh, well prickly is no good. surely not everything there is prickly? i live in the desert, southwest usa, and not everything is cactus here.

BerberElla

12 and a half weeks
MBTI Type
infp
oh, well prickly is no good. surely not everything there is prickly? i live in the desert, southwest usa, and not everything is cactus here.

All of the weeds are stinging nettles, they also grow over the path which means I can't skip barefooted down it on a sunny day if I don't trim them back. :cheese:

The rose bush is buried underneath a huge patch of the things.

I have some of those insane long grass bush things. no idea what they are called. Like tufts of thick grass like leaves.

Some weird furry beans on this plant that grows up the fence.

A tree with orange and red inedible berries and 2 bush things I can't identify, not that I've idenitified anything so far. :doh:

But it has so much potential. Like me. :wubbie:

P

Phantonym

i personally like the weedy overgrown look. i like weeds, they are just different kinds of plants to me.

+1

I was walking through a friend's unfinished garden tonight and I saw a bunch of weeds that were, in my opinion, better looking than the "normal" decorative plants there :laugh:

But I'm not going to discriminate the well groomed gardens. Some people actually make a lot of effort to make the garden look like it's wild.