• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

bugs on houseplants

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
ok so we grew some houseplants from seeds and they got infested with bugs after we transplanted. We bought a houseplant last night and it had out grown its container so we transplanted it again. Once again their's bugs. could it be the soil. Oh and when we put the first plant outside the bugs dissapeared is their any thing to do to get rid of the bugs and keep them gone

yeah I've never really tried to keep plants alive oh and the plant invaded with bugs is named Snape

Oom

Your time is gonna come.
MBTI Type
IsfP
Enneagram
5w4
You could always spray the plants with a diluted pesticide. Find one that doesn't have too many health warnings or says that it is safe to use on house plants.

Other than that, I'd say it might be the soil. If you bought soil it shouldn't be infested with pests. If you got it from outside it might be wiser to go out and buy some miracle grow.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
no the soil was store bought but it's my room mate's soil but it's organic

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Use the following

50% Dr. Bronners natural soap
50% water

Mix in a bottle and spray on your plants.

This solution is slightly basic, and will cause the insects, whatever they are to shrivel and die due to their body's pH getting all fucked up by the soap/water mixture.

It's worked great on all my indoor botanical experiments, and is all natural.

Plant SOS. How can I kill spider mites? ? - Yahoo! UK & Ireland Answers

Also, have you considered buying a shitload of ladybugs and releasing them on your plants? That is what is done in the Butterfly House at Callaway Gardens to protect the purity of their environment...

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
Also next time you're transplanting.... shake out all the soil from its root system. Replace with heat sterilized potting soil. Also if the plant can tolerate some sun... give it at least a couple hours a day of sunlight. Plants are less prone to bugs and disease that way.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
we keep the plants on a windowsill, and we've figured the bugs are coming from a dead plant our other room mate was suppose to throw out a month ago, but never did. So we put that plant outside on the balcony.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
yea soap + water keep the bugs away :D

I am so proud I knew this :D