• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Why I will miss Washington

Blackmail!

Gotta catch you all!
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Anyway, it looks like a temporary assignment in London. Am I correct?

juggernaut

Permabanned
Four years or so, but I don't know where I'll go from there. Chances are I won't get back here unfortunately though.

MetalWounds

More human than human
MBTI Type
TP
Enneagram
9w8
Washington is indeed a kickass state. I love being stationed here.

MetalWounds

More human than human
MBTI Type
TP
Enneagram
9w8
Which side of the mountains are you on? McChord? Ft. Lewis? Bremerton?

Fairchild - Spokane. I've been to McChord, Tacoma, and the vast desert between. I almost shit myself when I drove west of Moses Lake, the desert just comes out of nowhere.

juggernaut

Permabanned
Fairchild - Spokane. I've been to McChord, Tacoma, and the vast desert between. I almost shit myself when I drove west of Moses Lake, the desert just comes out of nowhere.

Ah Air Force. :) I lived in Spokane for several years and most of my family is there now. It's really beautiful at this time of year. You must be loving it. That stretch between Moses Lake and the Gorge is especially weird. Did you know Moses Lake used to be a salt water lake before they dammed the hell out of the whole state?

Have you gotten up to the Northwestern part of the state at all? It's amazing.

matmos

MBTI Type
NICE
It seems so! :newwink:

Well, it's not a beautiful city. It is alive because a lot of money is running through its streets, and because it's a metropolis, a "world-city" (if you have heard of Braudel), but in the same time it's very shallow, it can be quite disappointing for some.

It's an aggregate of dull, monotonous, unstructured villages; the neverending sprawl of the 19th century that lacks density, dense places, dense buildings, and contrast. There never was any urban planning to give unity or instill a kind of "spirit" to the places.

---

London cannot be compared, even for a second, with cities like Paris, Berlin, Barcelona, Lisboa, Sankt-Petersburg, Istanbul, Amsterdam or Roma.

Its urbanism lacks a clear frame, and as a consequence many smaller British cities share a far more interesting "personality" (Liverpool, Newcastle or Glasgow, for instance).

I'd agree with most of this. London is very much a series of joined up villages.

In many ways Manchester is a more typical English city. London is not English and probably not British either.

In London rich live cheek by jowl with the poor and do their best to avoid each other, except where professional necessity demands.

London, however, is a great place if you get to know real Londoners, which is not as easy as you might imagine. Almost everybody is passing-through and many Londoners have long ago moved to the sticks.

Getting anywhere from London is easy, so Manchester, Glasgow, Cardiff, et al are less than an hour away from LHR. ;)

Don't let blackmail! put you off, he's French.

FWIW, Paris is now officially a museum. It has lost it's soul; whereas London never had a soul.

All the best.

sandwich

MBTI Type
INTP
So how was Sasquatch?

do you know where quincy is? i went to my first 3 years of highschool there :thumbdown:

Haha, my high school would compete against Quincy. That's a true wasteland.

If you have more trips to central Washington, I always recommend hikes in the Alpine Wilderness area. If you don't have time to do the Enchantments, at least go to Lake Stuart. Also, some of the places around Lake Chelan. I've always wanted to do the trek from North Cascades to the lake.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I went to the Olympic Peninsula on a 1-week vacation, 7 years ago.

It was awe inspiring.

Hoh's Rain Forest:
Hoh_Rain_Forest_Maples.JPG

Rialto Beach:
rialto_beach_driftwood.jpg

and

94164-004-7AD521EF.jpg

Dungeness Bay: <yummy!>
SequimWA_DungenessBayKayak8_00i055.jpg

Washington is truly a beautiful state!

juggernaut

Permabanned
I'd agree with most of this. London is very much a series of joined up villages.

In many ways Manchester is a more typical English city. London is not English and probably not British either.

In London rich live cheek by jowl with the poor and do their best to avoid each other, except where professional necessity demands.

London, however, is a great place if you get to know real Londoners, which is not as easy as you might imagine. Almost everybody is passing-through and many Londoners have long ago moved to the sticks.

Getting anywhere from London is easy, so Manchester, Glasgow, Cardiff, et al are less than an hour away from LHR. ;)

Don't let blackmail! put you off, he's French.

FWIW, Paris is now officially a museum. It has lost it's soul; whereas London never had a soul.

All the best.

Shall I look under banana or trombones in the telephone book? Or is it one word?

So how was Sasquatch?

Haha, my high school would compete against Quincy. That's a true wasteland.

If you have more trips to central Washington, I always recommend hikes in the Alpine Wilderness area. If you don't have time to do the Enchantments, at least go to Lake Stuart. Also, some of the places around Lake Chelan. I've always wanted to do the trek from North Cascades to the lake.

It was gorgeous and the music was great. Is this off of Highway 2 in the Leavenworth area or further up 5?

I went to the Olympic Peninsula on a 1-week vacation, 7 years ago.

It was awe inspiring.

Washington is truly a beautiful state!

Those photos are like post cards, just beautiful. You're making it hard to leave. :(

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Those photos are like post cards, just beautiful. You're making it hard to leave. :(

You'll miss Pike's Market too. :harhar:

I have lived in countless places; such is the fate of an Army brat.

You will miss Washington, but it has served you as best it can for now.

You always have the option to return, whether for travel or relocation.

The most important part of living there, the people you have met and befriended, are easy to keep current with now that the WWW is mature.

Be at peace, enjoy your last weeks there, do your favorite things, and experience a few new ones if you can, and leave it with a smile.

Remember, it's always best to leave the party while you're still having fun. ;)

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
Oh damn, I'm sorry for you that you have to move from such a beautiful place. I've been living for 5 months in Denmark now, coming from Venice, and that has made me decide that I don't want to live anywhere but in Italy. Luckily I'll come back in June. Anyway, I really hope that you will find much satisfaction in your job, so that you will not need to worry about nice landscape and architecture :)

Blackmail!

Gotta catch you all!
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8

The worst part is that I agree with Bananatrombones even here... :rolli:

But... Things might change very soon. Have you heard of the Grand Pari du Grand Paris?

[I was a member of one of the 10 Teams (Castro-Denissof-Casi).]

Le Grand Pari

juggernaut

Permabanned
The worst part is that I agree with Bananatrompones even here... :rolli:

But... Things might change very soon. Have you heard of the Grand Pari du Grand Paris?

[I was a member of one of the 10 Teams (Castro-Denissof-Casi).]

Le Grand Pari

So you're going to clean the joint up a bit Blackmail? When is this supposed to happen? Are you just presenting plans in November? I assume it will take a while to get this done.

Tell me more.

Grayscale

MBTI Type
ISTP
You mean the "city of opportunity"? We just drove through. You have my condolences, that is one of the saddest little burgs in the state (right up there with Ephrata and Othello)

that's the one... i guess when you're at the bottom of the bucket, everything is an opportunity. it's not entirely pathetic, though, at least it's not as bad as winchester (where?) and it's the only place ive lived where you can tell which direction the wind is blowing by the way it smells... rotten potatoes means southeast, manure is north-ish. although it's really moving up lately, they put in another traffic light which doubled the total.

Correct. Although I am not a fan of the town of Leavenworth, the nature around it is beautiful.

best rock climbing in the state :yes: