• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Why I will miss Washington

juggernaut

Permabanned
sasquatch2009004.jpg

sasquatch2009009-1.jpg

sasquatch2009017.jpg

sasquatch2009018.jpg

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Blegh, London.

I feel terribly sorry for you. :(

Come visit the Veluwe sometime. o/ :p

juggernaut

Permabanned
Awww don't say that...

I just may do that. Where in the Netherlands is that? I intend to do as much traveling as I possibly can.

Kingfisher

full of love
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
i miss washington sometimes too. i lived on bainbridge island for a while, and have good friends in seattle. it is a great state, and seattle is such a great city! i really enjoyed my time there.

although i understand london gets a lot of rainfall, so you'll still have that. ;)

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The center, woods area. :) (Most of Gelderland)

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
As long as you don't bring your grandmaother, I foresee no complications! Teehee.

Grayscale

MBTI Type
ISTP
central WA around the Gorge is beautiful, albeit a bit dry sometimes, but that's one of my favorite aspects of the state... ocean > rainforest > cascades (arguably some of the best climbing in the world!) > country-side with only a few hours of driving

do you know where quincy is? i went to my first 3 years of highschool there :thumbdown:

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Those are some beautiful pics there.

juggernaut

Permabanned
central WA around the Gorge is beautiful, albeit a bit dry sometimes, but that's one of my favorite aspects of the state... ocean > rainforest > cascades (arguably some of the best climbing in the world!) > country-side with only a few hours of driving

do you know where quincy is? i went to my first 3 years of highschool there :thumbdown:

You mean the "city of opportunity"? We just drove through. You have my condolences, that is one of the saddest little burgs in the state (right up there with Ephrata and Othello)

Those are some beautiful pics there.

Thanks. :) It really does make me a little sad to leave.

Blackmail!

Gotta catch you all!
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Don't worry, Europe is not that bad.

As a matter of fact, very close to your future location, France and Italy probably are the most beautiful countries in the world, and by far.
I've always wondered how my Americans fellows could have grown up amidst permanent urban ugliness (1), and how it affected their perception, skill and quality of life.

But I have to admit London is one of the most depressing cities of Europe, along with the suburbs of Moscow and the German Ruhr.

---

(1) With the sole exceptions of New-York and San Francisco... and possibly Chicago

juggernaut

Permabanned
Don't worry, Europe is not that bad.

As a matter of fact, very close to your future location, France and Italy probably are the most beautiful countries in the world, and by far.
I've always wondered how my Americans fellows could have grown up amidst permanent urban ugliness (1), and how it affected their perception, skill and quality of life.

But I have to admit London is one of the most depressing cities of Europe, along with the suburbs of Moscow and the German Ruhr.

---

(1) With the sole exceptions of New-York and San Francisco... and possibly Chicago

I've been pretty lucky. I've never had to live in an ugly place. Tell me, though, what about London do you find depressing?

Blackmail!

Gotta catch you all!
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
I've been pretty lucky. I've never had to live in an ugly place.

It seems so! :newwink:

Tell me, though, what about London do you find depressing?

Well, it's not a beautiful city. It is alive because a lot of money is running through its streets, and because it's a metropolis, a "world-city" (if you have heard of Braudel), but in the same time it's very shallow, it can be quite disappointing for some.

It's an aggregate of dull, monotonous, unstructured villages; the neverending sprawl of the 19th century that lacks density, dense places, dense buildings, and contrast. There never was any urban planning to give unity or instill a kind of "spirit" to the places.

---

London cannot be compared, even for a second, with cities like Paris, Berlin, Barcelona, Lisboa, Sankt-Petersburg, Istanbul, Amsterdam or Roma.

Its urbanism lacks a clear frame, and as a consequence many smaller British cities share a far more interesting "personality" (Liverpool, Newcastle or Glasgow, for instance).

g_vartan

MBTI Type
ENFJ
I'm the midst of rethinking my life right now....getting that itch to move / reinvent myself again. I grew up in Seattle and have very fond memories of it. I keep it in my back pocket wherever I go. The smell of rain takes me back home. I live in NYC, which is beautiful, but Seattle/Washington is home. Great place to have kids. Good luck on your move!

V

violaine

London is cool, I have lived there twice and loved it. It is a wonderful jumping off point for travel. Happy landings, juggernaut.

juggernaut

Permabanned
Thank you :). I have several weeks left. This past weekend was one of the things on my living "bucket list". Any of you who are familiar with Washington state, please feel free to make recommendations of things to do while I wind up this decade of my life. I've been here so long I've forgotten how many wonderful things are available. I get to spend all of June and July here pretending to be a tourist while I pack and get all the paper work done.

Blackmail!

Gotta catch you all!
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
By the way, could you say us again why you're moving to London?

Is it related to your actual job?