User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INTP

Default Reason #27 my cats stay indoors

My brother and family were down yesterday for a BBQ. While we were relaxing on the porch at about 7:45, my niece spotted a raccoon coming from between two houses across the street.

He was a raccoon on a mission, apparently, and headed straight across the street to the tree right next to my porch - less than 6 feet away from us. He climbed the tree and disappeared somewhere on my neighbor's roof.

Based on his behavior, I get the feeling this is a regular route for him. I'm going to have to start hanging out on the porch at that time in the evening.

He was a younger, well-fed, handsome little bugger too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Synarch View Post
    It's not a zero sum game. You're still a dork.

Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Go raccoon, go!

---

I hope he won't dare to eat a cat or two, because cat's meat is extremely unhealthy (parasites!).
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I'm sure this isn't the main intention of your post, but I couldn't help but notice the title. I understand why some people want to keep their cats indoors, but I think it's selfish. I don't think it's for the cat, I think it's for the pet owner. My cats are indoors most of the time, but I would feel like a complete bitch if I made my cats stay indoors all the time. They're animals. They want to run around and play in the sunshine. They want to lie in the cool evening and feel the breeze just as I do. If someone made me stay indoors all of the time, I'd feel like I was in prison.

We were having an especially pretty day here this week, and my neighbors (neutered) male cat wanted to sniff around in the grass and enjoy the weather just like the people did. When she screamed at him to get back in the house I felt myself stiffen, as though I was hearing a parent emotionally abuse a child. I cannot understand the compulsion to imprison a pet indoors 24/7 without brief respites outside (with proper procautions, of course) just because of what hypothetically could happen.

I mean, a car could run over me or I could catch the swine flu or I could simply break my arm but I still want to go outside most days, if only for a little while. It's beyond my capabilities to tell my cat do as I say, not as I do, especially since cats are animals, and animals were created to go outside.

That's just how I feel about it.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

^according to that reasoning, you should never take them into the house in the first place.

I support ppl keeping cats indoors, or at least contained. I love them, but they are murderous little buggers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

People keep their cats inside (in urban areas) for the same reason they don't let toddlers wander around in the street unsupervised. A lot of cats don't have the sense to stay out of the road.

I wouldn't call it selfish to try to avoid seeing your cat become roadkill.
    -end of thread-

your resident asshole

Just thought I'd jump in and comment on saying how I think raccoons are cute.

cute raccoon:

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by bluemonday View Post
    ^according to that reasoning, you should never take them into the house in the first place.

I support ppl keeping cats indoors, or at least contained. I love them, but they are murderous little buggers.

They are murderous little obligate carnivores. I'm often amazed they consent to domestication.

I "own" one cat who was here before I moved in. She lives outside as she and the boys inside do not mix well. I had her spayed, vaccinate her, etc.

She treats me to the occasional headless bird.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    We were having an especially pretty day here this week, and my neighbors (neutered) male cat wanted to sniff around in the grass and enjoy the weather just like the people did. When she screamed at him to get back in the house I felt myself stiffen, as though I was hearing a parent emotionally abuse a child.
    Wait, this was a cat? She screamed at it and expected obedience?

Something is not right here.

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
    MBTI
    Hype

this is a pretty good reason - when I was growing up in michigan, my good friend's cat was mauled to death by a raccoon. He said the blood was everywhere, and his cat was big too - like 22 pounds. Raccoons are vicious rotents. Supposedly they will attack up to medium sized dogs as well, and they've been known to hold onto their bite well past death. The latter may be due to rabies however and not due to their temperament.

Basically, don't mess with em.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by nozflubber View Post
    Basically, don't mess with em.
    Yeah. My outdoor cat saw him coming and silently retreated to the porch.