• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Question for the Londoners

juggernaut

Permabanned
So it's getting close to my departure date. I'm wondering what to expect in terms of housing. I need to be in "downtown" London as I will be attending evening classes (at KCL) and car-less. Is it possible to find a decent flat for 1000 pounds a month (1500 US)? I really don't want to spend more than this as I know there will be lots of other living expenses that I need to consider. I also don't have the option of student housing as my kids will be visiting frequently. Should I resign myself to a rodent infested cracker box or will it possible to find something livable? Also are there neighborhoods I should try to avoid?

Any input would be much appreciated.

Kanamori

I lived up in Muswell Hill, and got 'downtown' (bloomsbury) in probably 20 min... get an oyster card for the tube and buses... and I think that most people who do commute don't commute with their car. The public transportation is waaay faster than anything I've seen or heard of in the States.

Bloomsbury, maybe though I don't know about the price, and maybe Camden in general though some of its areas would be bad to live in as a London noob. Londoners... BerberElla and bananatrombones may not have stumbled on the thread... that's an incomplete list:p

:2cents: I studied there, and didn't get to know London that well.

matmos

MBTI Type
NICE
The rental market in London is overheating: rented digs are high - explained partly by the banks' reluctance to lend, moving people who would otherwise have bought into the rented sector.

That said, in your price bracket you should be able to get something decent. The quality of rented properties has increased significantly in the past 10 years.

Avoid south & east London. There are pockets of very nice areas (with nice prices to match) but you'd have to commute through unpleasant ones to get there. Stick to north and west London. If your going to KCL I'd try for somewhere on the mainline (Waterloo-Reading line) or parts of the Northern or Bakerloo underground stations.

I'd advise you to go through an agent who will be arrange a contract - 6 months or a year. You'd be advised to haggle - knocking £50 off a monthy rent = 300 pints of Guinness! Typically they won't argue over a few quid. If you see a flat you really like, offer the asking price.

2 Weeks should be enough to sort out matters.

Deposits are done through intermediaries (Deposit Protection Scheme), so unless you trash the place, you'll get the bond returned. Usually there are 2 itineraries taken: before the tenancy and at its termination. The landlord will not be able to influence the clerk, so it's a pretty fair system.

PM me, if you need advice on specifics.

Good luck. :)

BerberElla

12 and a half weeks
MBTI Type
infp
That said, in your price bracket you should be able to get something decent. The quality of rented properties has increased significantly in the past 10 years.

:yes: That's a pretty decent amount, you could get nice for less aswell. Also agree with avoiding south and east london, but I'm also not keen on west london, or north london for that matter lol.

I prefer living out and commuting in, but if I had to choose it would be W or SW postcodes, and only some of them.

matmos

MBTI Type
NICE
The following site is useful: Property to rent - Find houses and flats to rent in the UK

For example, configure the Area as "Putney" in SW London, with a 5 mile radius and max amount as £1000 gets this:

Putney properties. Find property to rent in Putney, South West London

Tip: try to avoid ground floor flats, even in nice areas: they're junkie bait.

Here is a thematic map with crime rates across London; it should give you some idea of where to avoid.

Metropolitan Police Service - Crime mapping

juggernaut

Permabanned
Thank you, thank you, thank you! Excellent info. Exactly the kind of thing I was looking for.

If I find a decent place, at a decent price, I'll take you all out for pints. :cheers:

Kangirl

I'm a star.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
*takes offense*

Not ALL of south London sucks. There are some very nice areas. And some very grotty ones, just like North London. Clapham is a nice (very gentrified - I'm assuming that by 'nice' you mean not full of thugs and dealers) area. It depends where you're working really. Taking the Northern (tube) line north every day is a pain in the ass.

As for North London, Islington is nice. Stoke Newington is a nabe you should be able to find some decent rental property for not too much.

This could have changed, it's been awhile since I rented my own place in London, but very central areas will have high rents, and are often the size of small shoeboxes.