User Tag List

View Poll Results: Where would you rather live?

63. You may not vote on this poll
  • Medium to high density urban area.

24 38.10%
  • Suburb.

12 19.05%
  • Rural.

13 20.63%
  • Village.

11 17.46%
  • Other.

3 4.76%
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Urban, Suburban, Village or Rural?

Default Urban, Suburban, Village or Rural?

In my environmental planning course there has been a lot of talk about the evils of suburbia. Suburbs rely heavily on automobile transportation as public transport is either non-cost-effective or not very popular, which contributes to anthropogenic global warming (if you believe it is occurring). Suburbs also encourage sprawl that takes over fertile agricultural land or native areas. People in the suburbs are also unhealthier, they are more overweight as they are not able to walk to local services, to school and to work, as easily as one might in an urban area.

But I get the feeling that many - especially families - prefer to live in the suburbs because they are able to have a garden and lawn area. On the other hand, dense urban areas could have community gardens, roof-top gardens, large balconies, courtyards and public parks to replace the lost personal gardens.

Would you prefer to live in the suburb, the city or somewhere else? And why?

I don't want kids, I don't appreciate nature and I do appreciate having a plethora of options as a consumer, social creature, and member of the work force. It's a no-brainer for me.

I like being in close proximity to a large city but when it comes to living, I prefer a nice suburban area.

Protocol Droid Array Athenian200's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Economica View Post
    I don't want kids, I don't appreciate nature and I do appreciate having a plethora of options as a consumer, social creature, and member of the work force. It's a no-brainer for me.
    I know what you mean. I really didn't think anyone else out there thought this way. I guess I'm not as unique in this thought process as I had assumed... interesting.

Banned Array

Definitely a city girl here, even with kids. I like the anonymity and the choices. You can get, do, find anything you want or need, but no one ever has to know who you are or what you do.

I hate suburbs, so it's largely a contest between urban and rural in my judgement. Depends on what mood I'm in.

What's a village?How's it different from "Rural"?

eating bugs out of hair. Array prplchknz's Avatar

I love where I live, and it's a big city this point in my life I can't see me living anywhere else, and I also grew up in a medium size city so that's all I've known. I don't think I'd like suburbs but I could live in a rural area just fine. It's all or nothing for me.
    by @magpie

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson Array

I voted village because i think it a completley absurd/out of place term in modern times, hence the hilariousness involved when thinking of ANYPLACE in the US as a "village"

Like seriously, doesn't the title of village require you to have like, a local idiot, a town crier, and people running around in robin hood-esque clothes?

Do people REALLY want to live at the Rennaisance fair?

Temporal Mechanic. Array Lexicon's Avatar
    5w6 sp/sx

I picked "other."

I've lived in a variety of places, out in the country, riding a horse and exploring the woods as a kid.

The suburbs. Boring in of itself, but the area I lived in happened to be close to the mountains, the beach, and a big city. Driving is inconvenient,just in terms of fuel costs [I enjoy driving, a lot].

I like the city, but mainly at night when there are less people.. or the wee morning hours when virtually no one is out. Just something about roaming around a deserted sort of place that's going to be utter chaos in a matter of hours or minutes.

Essentially I picked 'other' because I could be all right living anywhere, quite simply because I wish to continue living in a variety of places throughout the rest of my life. It seems like moving a lot in youth has contributed to my being more open to that sort of lifestyle than friends I know who've never left their hometown, and lack any desire to.
    That baffles and saddens me; I think they're missing out... I can't wrap my head around not wanting to go.. somewhere.
    03/23 06:06:58 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:06:59 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:21:34 Nancynobullets: LEXXX *sacrifices a first born*
    03/23 06:21:53 Nancynobullets: We summon yooouuu
    03/23 06:29:07 Lexicon: I was sleeping!

04/25 04:20:35 Patches: Don't listen to lex. She wants to birth a litter of kittens. She doesnt get to decide whats creepy

02/16 23:49:38 ygolo: Lex is afk
    02/16 23:49:45 Cimarron: she's doing drugs with Jack

03/05 19:27:41 Time: You can't make chat morbid. Lex does it naturally.