User Tag List

View Poll Results: Where would you rather live?

Voters
63. You may not vote on this poll
  • Medium to high density urban area.

24 38.10%
  • Suburb.

12 19.05%
  • Rural.

13 20.63%
  • Village.

11 17.46%
  • Other.

3 4.76%
First 2345 Last

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by bluebell View Post
    I don't want a huge house and garden. I want a small townhouse (maybe 60-70 square metres) and a garden that's maybe 10 metres x 10 metres.

A 5-10 minute walk is not really acceptable to me. a) I've yet to live anywhere where I'd feel comfortable walking by myself late at night through a laneway and b) when it's cold/rainy/stormy, again I don't want to have that walk (specially if I'm carrying heavy bags of groceries).
    Personally, I'm not likely to be walking at night by myself either, but it has been observed that urban areas with a mix of commercial, residential and retail buildings, with a healthy night-life - such as popular restuarants and theatres - are more likely to be safer. There are more 'eyes' so to speak - free security surveillance. It really depends on how the city is planned, if social problems are taken care of - such as security - environmentally based planning can be implemented more easily.

I don't know how much grocery shopping you do at once, but if you lived in the same street as your local 'Fruit and Veg.' store, butcher and bakery, it is likely you would only buy small amounts at a time but more often. On the other hand, weather is different matter all together! Stinking hot weather here is more likely to be a problem for me, but our cars are usually twice as hot when we get in them than the outdoor temperature, so maybe it wouldn't be too bad, especially if there are some shady trees over footpaths.

MBTI
    INTP

I grew up in a village (population > 3,000) and I've been living in a city for the majority of the last two years. Not a fan of suburbs or villages, but I could take either extreme. I want to either be within a ten minutes walk to a coffee place or further than a ten minutes drive to my closest neighbor.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by nozflubber View Post
    Like seriously, doesn't the title of village require you to have like, a local idiot, a town crier, and people running around in robin hood-esque clothes?

Do people REALLY want to live at the Rennaisance fair?
    That sounds...awesome! But only if we have to live in ecohouses shaped like hobbit holes, too. Go all the way or don't go at all I say.

I voted "village", but not for the silly idyllic reasons above. I hate big cities as much as I hate suburbs. Right now, I live in a large "town" that has lots of green, but it's about as large as I can tolerate. I want to live near nature, but I want to keep the ability to walk to just about anywhere I need to go. I hate it when I have to go home to my parents and realise the only way to get anywhere is to drive. With a village/town, at least it's possible to walk to most places within a reasonable amount of time.
    "I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference."

Robert Frost

MBTI
    ISTJ

Definitely rural for me. I would be bored out of my gourd in a city, so rural or village are my thing.

As far as the topic of planning good communities, Amazon.com: Human Scale: Kirkpatrick Sale: Books is a FASCINATING book. So much information and theories in there I don't even know how to begin describing it. I loved reading it...
    Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. ~Plato

MBTI
    IsfP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    INTp

Rural.

Might be boring to some, but entertainment isn't all about buying stuff or seeing a movie. Sometimes it's about exploring the land.

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by SilentStream View Post
    Personally, I'm not likely to be walking at night by myself either, but it has been observed that urban areas with a mix of commercial, residential and retail buildings, with a healthy night-life - such as popular restuarants and theatres - are more likely to be safer. There are more 'eyes' so to speak - free security surveillance. It really depends on how the city is planned, if social problems are taken care of - such as security - environmentally based planning can be implemented more easily.

I don't know how much grocery shopping you do at once, but if you lived in the same street as your local 'Fruit and Veg.' store, butcher and bakery, it is likely you would only buy small amounts at a time but more often. On the other hand, weather is different matter all together! Stinking hot weather here is more likely to be a problem for me, but our cars are usually twice as hot when we get in them than the outdoor temperature, so maybe it wouldn't be too bad, especially if there are some shady trees over footpaths.
    I live with in a block of the grocery store and usually buy one or two bags worth of groceries at a time, and just go when I run out of things. So it's not bad at all. Except going on sunday afternoon's that always sucks. but when I lived more then 4 blocks from the store it was a pain to go, so I used peapod, but now that you can see Jewel out my window and I cross one street to get there it's more conveint for me to go.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Urban. I like cities. I could see myself in one. I like the hustle & bustle & culture. For a young, single person, suburbs are soooo boring.

However, the older I get, the less evil suburbs seem. I think in 10-15 years time I could be content in one. I mean, where I live now is clean & relatively "safe", with spacious yards & homes, friendly & personable people, less traffic, less pollution, but within a reasonable drive to major cities, the beach, and the mountains. It also has far less job opportunities, more conservative/bland people, little to no culture, is very cookie cutter, and is very family-oriented.

I'm not interested in rural or a small town / village. I could do a sleepy beach town maybe, but I think I'd get bored. I like a lot of stuff going on around me.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

MBTI
    INTx

I'm more of a city person. I don't see much value in the whole lawn and fence thing. Also I dislike urban driving - a lot. So in an ideal setup I'd prefer to live centrally and have easy access to everything. Unfortunate bit is that living centrally/downtown tends to be a bit scummy, crime, etc. The city makes jabs at central revitalization but the middle class needs a bit more economic incentive to make the shift.

Right now I live near the edge of the city but I've got a pretty nice setup in being close to an active commercial block. Most shopping needs are within walking distance and public transit is right outside and a straight shot downtown. It's not perfect, but what is, really.

MBTI
    INTP

I went with other.

I used to be all about the city life but now I want nothing more than to live out in the desert somewhere.
    I know a girl, she's one of a kind
    But the poor little thing, she's going out of her mind
    There's something you forgot - there's a reason why she's lost
    Cos baby she don't want to be found

Quote Originally Posted by SilentStream View Post
    Well when I say village I mean an isolated clustered small community in an agricultural area, whereas by rural I suppose I meant on a farm or on an isolated single property, perhaps a log cabin in the middle of a dense forest.

Village or rural it is then

Hmmm it's strange answering your thread sis