User Tag List

View Poll Results: Where would you rather live?

Voters
63. You may not vote on this poll
  • Medium to high density urban area.

24 38.10%
  • Suburb.

12 19.05%
  • Rural.

13 20.63%
  • Village.

11 17.46%
  • Other.

3 4.76%
First 12345 Last

MBTI
    ISTJ

Rural as long as I have cable internet! That's where I'm at now!
    Freedom Isn't Free. [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Definately not suburbs.

I would get bored in a rual area too quickly.

I currently live in a village and it's okay but not a lot to do. Most people resort to sex, booze, and volunteering for entertainment here. But I'd prefer a village in a cooler climate.

I liked living in a medium-sized city the best.
    Is not to be held accuntable for peeling errors.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

I'd like a "town" of around 40'000-50'000 people or so.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    GONE

In the states I need a city. A big one.

Abroad? The novelty and excitement of living in another cultural context will more than make up for any 'quiet' of village or small town life.

Unlike Lady X, I don't really need or seek out nature but I think most big cities in the states are at within an hour of decent hiking, camping, 'the outdoors'.

Also, some 'cities' are really like giant suburbs. There are a lot of people, but it's not necessarily 'urban'.

For instance, Kansas City is urban. Salt Lake City is urban? Salt Lake City has more residents than Washington, DC, but I would say Washington, DC is more 'urban'. Portland, OR is also technically urban. Notice how I said technically? Miami is a city so I guess it's considered urban but northeast urban (philadelphia, nyc, boston, etc.) is very different from pacific northwest urban which is different from uh, california, which is different from etc. I heard Atlanta and even LA described as a bunch of smaller cities/suburbs connected by road/highway. Lots of different kind of 'urban' out there.

BTW, Silicon Valley, where I grew up, is a suburb but it's the second largest (maybe largest?) population of a metro area in CA and has more people than some bonafide 'cities'.

I like the CA suburbs, they're pretty much all the same NorCal or SoCal, strip malls, nice weather, easy parking. It's pleasant. There's lots to do.

Still wouldn't want to live in the suburbs though. Maybe when I'm 45, married, with teenaged children.

I love the excitement, variety, and worldliness of a city. DC is on the smaller side for me, I dream of living someplace faster, bigger, more - like LA or NYC or Chicago.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by SilentStream View Post
    But I get the feeling that many - especially families - prefer to live in the suburbs because they are able to have a garden and lawn area. On the other hand, dense urban areas could have community gardens, roof-top gardens, large balconies, courtyards and public parks to replace the lost personal gardens.
    I know it contributes to urban sprawl but I really want my own garden. A space that's my own. I find gardening to be calming and grounding (no pun intended). I wouldn't get that in a communal garden. I like to be able to wander out the back door and go into the garden whenever I feel like it. Also, I'm seriously considering getting a dog, which I'd hate to do in an apartment block.

I voted suburban.
    ...so much smoke pouring out of each chromosome.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by CzeCze View Post
    Also, some 'cities' are really like giant suburbs. There are a lot of people, but it's not necessarily 'urban'.

For instance, Kansas City is urban. Salt Lake City is urban? Salt Lake City has more residents than Washington, DC, but I would say Washington, DC is more 'urban'. Portland, OR is also technically urban. Notice how I said technically? Miami is a city so I guess it's considered urban but northeast urban (philadelphia, nyc, boston, etc.) is very different from pacific northwest urban which is different from uh, california, which is different from etc. I heard Atlanta and even LA described as a bunch of smaller cities/suburbs connected by road/highway. Lots of different kind of 'urban' out there.

BTW, Silicon Valley, where I grew up, is a suburb but it's the second largest (maybe largest?) population of a metro area in CA and has more people than some bonafide 'cities'.
    Yeah, I know what you mean. I live in the 'city' Adelaide in Australia and city is indeed a very loose term. Even though a million people live here it's more like a very large suburb.

Quote Originally Posted by bluebell View Post
    I know it contributes to urban sprawl but I really want my own garden. A space that's my own. I find gardening to be calming and grounding (no pun intended). I wouldn't get that in a communal garden. I like to be able to wander out the back door and go into the garden whenever I feel like it. Also, I'm seriously considering getting a dog, which I'd hate to do in an apartment block.

I voted suburban.
    I'd love to have my own garden one day and do this too, so I completely understand the appeal of the suburbs. There is just so much about suburbs that is ecologically unsustainable - it is inherent in the whole concept. There must be some way planners can incorporate private gardens into denser developments for those that really can't live without them. Perhaps compact townhouses with private gardens are a good alternative. Can you live without a driveway if well-designed public transport was just a 5-10 minute walk away? If you could, then roads leading to housing could be narrowed and priority could be given to pedestrians and bikes.

MBTI
    ENFj
    Enneagram
    2w3

I was forced to spend my teen years in a rural suburb. I swore that I would never leave the city when I got out of there! Now that I am older I hate to admit it but I find that I am becoming a full-blown "suburbanite". I haven't purchased a minivan yet but I could see the appeal if I had more children . Unfortunately, I'm in a suburb of a city that is incompetently managed with outrageous bills, and very high crime. The corruption that is costing the taxpayers makes the headlines of the paper often with convictions and jail time for many of them. I want peaceful living, a nice yard, community involvement and most of all some privacy. We are saving to move to a suburb where I actually look forward to going into the city and that is a couple of hours closer to the ocean.
    "At points of clarity, I realize that my life on earth is meaningless, and that I am merely a pawn in a bigger game. A game I cannot possibly understand or have control of. Thankfully, before depression sets in, I drift back into my cloudy, bewildered daily routine." **Joel Patrick Warneke**

MBTI
    intp

I like the rural village and the megapolis most. Ideally, I'd live in one very close to the other.
    Last edited by INA; 05-14-2009 at 09:41 AM.

MBTI
    INFJ

About me...well. I don't think every answer is the --best-- for me. I mean, all has its oppoturnities, risks, goods, and bads

within urban areas, it'll be packed (which would be both bad and good at the same time) and it has SO MANY THINGS (again, both bad and good), and I simply like the view of skyscrapers, somehow. I wanna live in an apartment D:
    but then, the pollution. The traffic.

Suburbias *has this disturbing need to type Disturbia >_>;* are definitely pleasant and somewhat safe but...blahboringthanks. And the dirty laundry~ I don't know the real situation in US but based on what I've watched (Desperate Housewives, mostly) it's annoying. Here...moreso. It's like, everyone SHOULD know everyone's problems and DUH.

rurals and villages would be very peaceful (albeit boring) and refreshing but again, boring. Wouldn't hesitate going for a holiday, having a sanctuary to run away from stuffs, though.

So...more of a city kid here. >_>;

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by SilentStream View Post
    Perhaps compact townhouses with private gardens are a good alternative. Can you live without a driveway if well-designed public transport was just a 5-10 minute walk away? If you could, then roads leading to housing could be narrowed and priority could be given to pedestrians and bikes.
    I don't want a huge house and garden. I want a small townhouse (maybe 60-70 square metres) and a garden that's maybe 10 metres x 10 metres.

A 5-10 minute walk is not really acceptable to me. a) I've yet to live anywhere where I'd feel comfortable walking by myself late at night through a laneway and b) when it's cold/rainy/stormy, again I don't want to have that walk (specially if I'm carrying heavy bags of groceries).
    ...so much smoke pouring out of each chromosome.