• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

my first thread: join me in abstaining from pork?

meat anyone?

• Total voters

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I can't quite get to vegetarianism, but I'm pretty much down to chicken, although every time I eat it, a baby chicken being debeaked flashes before my eyes. Whatever the logic, it just doesn't feel good to me anymore to eat too much animal flesh, and I'm afraid of fish because of the mercury. I realized after I agreed to this thread that I haven't eaten any pork since I saw a movie about how pigs are treated in commercial pig farms a couple of months ago, so this would just be actually making a formal commitment to something I'm already on the road with. I don't have convenient access to humanely treated animals, so I've pretty much just stopped eating them. A little bit of chicken one meal a day is all the animal product I eat anymore.

Aphrodite, good for you for speaking your conscience. If nothing else, 'm sure your arteries will thank you.

O

Oberon

I can't quite get to vegetarianism, but I'm pretty much down to chicken, although every time I eat it, a baby chicken being debeaked flashes before my eyes. Whatever the logic, it just doesn't feel good to me anymore to eat too much animal flesh, and I'm afraid of fish because of the mercury.

Eat farm-raised freshwater fish (such as tilapia or catfish), and mercury won't enter into the picture.

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
If I stop eating pork will I help stop animal cruelty? No.

If we were so inclined, we could easily trace the manufacturing/preparation of most of our capitalist society's goods/products and find that, somewhere along the line, someone did something morally reprovable.

Exactly. If this isn't personal than it's a lost cuase. If you rightfully don't believe in the killing of animals, then I respect you for not eating it. But if you stop eating it, just know that just as many pigs are going to be killed and eaten around the world.

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Eat farm-raised freshwater fish (such as tilapia or catfish), and mercury won't enter into the picture.

I love catfish!
But I've seen pictures (damn these pictures! sometimes I wish I didn't know) of fish farms where the water is really dirty and the fish are overcrowded in there, too, so I wonder how healthy the fish can be.
But that's a good point, there's no need to worry about mercury in farmed fish. I'd forgotten that.

Kangirl

I'm a star.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
I buy as much meat as I can from local farmers whose animals are free range and slaughtered locally/humanely. I don't have a problem with eating meat, plus it's fucking yummy.

What goes on in certain systems, though, is pretty gross, from a moral standpoint.

EDIT: I so want to try catfish! I saw some footage of them being caught (some dudes were just feeling around on the bottom of a lake and hauling these fish out of their hidey holes) somewhere in the US South and they were huge.

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I can't quite get to vegetarianism, but I'm pretty much down to chicken, although every time I eat it, a baby chicken being debeaked flashes before my eyes. Whatever the logic, it just doesn't feel good to me anymore to eat too much animal flesh, and I'm afraid of fish because of the mercury. I realized after I agreed to this thread that I haven't eaten any pork since I saw a movie about how pigs are treated in commercial pig farms a couple of months ago, so this would just be actually making a formal commitment to something I'm already on the road with. I don't have convenient access to humanely treated animals, so I've pretty much just stopped eating them. A little bit of chicken one meal a day is all the animal product I eat anymore.

Aphrodite, good for you for speaking your conscience. If nothing else, 'm sure your arteries will thank you.

thanks so much for your support, tiltyred. i just wanted to raise awareness and give those who have been undecisive about this issue, a nudge. but people LOVE their meat!! not taking your meat away, Type C Peeps!! haha.
:bye:

EDIT: I so want to try catfish! I saw some footage of them being caught (some dudes were just feeling around on the bottom of a lake and hauling these fish out of their hidey holes) somewhere in the US South and they were huge.

i had thought farm raised fish might be the way to go too, but then i thought about, and researched a little bit, the fish food they fed them, and i believe it is just other 'trash' fish that could also have mercury and other contamination. that's why many won't buy farmed fish, preferring wild harvested fish.

but then there is overfishing of our oceans, which, for me, is almost a bigger issue. i avoid fish in costco because i believe people eat way more fish than our oceans can sustain. look at cod. it was overfished. now they are doing the same thing with tilapia. then it will be something else.

you also have to watch out for those BIG fish. especially down south where there are a lot of refineries (i'm from texas) and tons of pollution in texas waters, and all along the gulf coast. but even lakes in the north are notorious for the bigger fish having toxic levels of contaminates because they simply have lived longer and have stored more bad things in their flesh........

just a little info i've picked up along the way. why i mainly eat venison now. it lives freely and is plentiful around here. virtually organic grass, etc. then it's killed quickly in the wild with one shot, and very lean meat. but if you have a local farm and know what feed they feed their livestock, that's pretty good too i think.

i didn't fix that bacon this morning. i didn't have the heart.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Catfish is okay, but there are better tasting fish out there.

Most people fry it.

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Catfish dipped in corn meal with salt and pepper and fried quickly over high heat so it crisps, cook it just till it's opaque and no longer ... ye gods, it's good. Crispy on the outside and tender on the inside, mild and sweet-tasting. A little squeeze of lemon and some cole slaw and I'm a happy girl.

I throw tilapia in a pan and pour green salsa over it, put the lid on, and let it cook for 10 minutes. Goes great over rice.

d@v3

Perfect Gentleman! =D
MBTI Type
ISTJ
I don't really eat bacon or ham or any of that often but it DOES taste good! :yes: I'm a hunter as well, and I don't see myself not eating meat any time soon! You kill the animal (preferrably in the most humane way possible so it doesn't suffer) and then you cook it and eat it. It's a fact of life.

We wouldn't be here if the cavemen decided long ago that "ohh I think I'll only eat greens." Why? Because if a pregnant women doesn't eat a balanced meal which includes meat, their baby will be nutrient deficient. Thus, vegetarian mothers usually take nutrient suppliments. From a scientific perspective, our teeth are shaped so that we can be omnivorous (eating greens and meat). ;)

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
If I stop eating pork will I help stop animal cruelty? No.

If we were so inclined, we could easily trace the manufacturing/preparation of most of our capitalist society's goods/products and find that, somewhere along the line, someone did something morally reprovable.

That's a weak argument. Consumer demand does change farming practice. Aside from legislation, it's the only thing that will. Look at the organic movement, or the fur industry.

And since when did a lack of conscience in others excuse morally reprehensible behaviour in oneself? Assuming you believe animal cruelty is morally reprehensible.

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is that good men do nothing".
~Edmund Burke

Samvega

Buddhist Misanthrope
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
I raised a pig last year, didn't do anything to it I wouldn't have done to or eaten myself. Well, with the exception of putting a bullet in it's head. Anyway, I decided if I couldn't buy a baby, raise it up, treat it well and slaughter it myself I had no right eating pork. I felt like I needed to earn that right instead of just walking into a store and buying whatever all neat like in a package.

It turns out I had no troubles what so ever with any of that so I eat pork with a clear conscious now.

It's not something I wanna do again really but it also isn't something I would avoid. If I had a bigger family and enough wasted food to feed a pig I would keep one for that reason all the time.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
I would recommend eating kosher meat if your want your animals slaughtered humanely, but you won't find kosher pork anywhere.

nozflubber

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
MBTI Type
Hype
Oh plz, more estranged maxims from the alienated pseudo-moral vegan impulse .......

Tell me, those of you planning on dying someday - are you going to care when something consumes you, be it an animal, a crematory fire, a slury of worms or a colony of bacteria? Are you going to put up some big fuss as YOUR biomaterial gets renewed and reused?

You're damn right if you say you won't care, and a pig doesn't give 2 shits what you do with his body after you kill the poor bastard.

The whole moral problem is about their suffering as another legitimate lifeform, not the fact you eat their meat.

That being said, more pig for me the more that abstain, so keep that pig chow up, so i can chow down more pig.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I would recommend eating kosher meat if your want your animals slaughtered humanely, but you won't find kosher pork anywhere.

This is true, but if you buy from small local farms (try your farmer's market) you can be sure the pigs are treated much more humanely than those in a factory farm.

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Funny. I didn't end up abstaining then. But I do now for religious reasons. And it's been pretty easy, save for the times when I want a bacon cheeseburger. :(

chubber

failed poetry slam career
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
If I don't balance my diet with fruit and vegetables. Then my stomach is going to give me the finger. As much as I love meat, I need to listen to that bastard.

W

WhoCares

The thing is, abstaining from eating pork will do nothing to improve the plight of factory farmed pigs. They will still be raised in cages and walked into an abattoir. No matter how many people abstain there will still be demand for factory farmed pigs. So what are we assuaging with abstinence?Just our own sense of guilt? Nice for us but means nothing to pigs.

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yes. But. One person can change his or her small little corner of the world.

Did you know that in the Garden of Eden, man was vegetarian?