User Tag List

12 Last

Thread: Barn Owls Win

Default Barn Owls Win

Anytime I wake up in the night lately I can hear the barn owl! He chirps and chirps and then is silent (I assume he must be hunting after that). He's out all night to find food for his babies, so neat to hear him/see him if I'm lucky.

I want to get an owl box on my roof so I can lure them closer and then watch the mother owl sporadically hunt for her owlets between naps in the day time...

Barn Owls are so strange and neat. I recently found out they're not even in the same family as all the other owls!

MBTI
    ISTJ

I used to have them here but I have not seen them or heard them in many years. However, there are great horned owls that I hear outside my window once in a while.
    Freedom Isn't Free. [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Charting a course
    MBTI
    INFP

Hehehe...we have a family of them here. I was telling JAVO a few weeks ago, I was out looking to take pictures of them, and walked right up under one sitting in a tree. Long story short, I literally scared the crap out of it. And it crapped on me.

The good thing is I know where they hang out. Look on the ground for these little dark colored balls, they'll be full of animal bones, and other parts the owl can't digest. That's generally where they roost.

Oh wow! Owl poop? That has to be weird.

Our owls live in this giant three-four story abandoned dance hall on our corner full of dark rooms and holes in the walls.

Charting a course
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by maliafee View Post
    Oh wow! Owl poop? That has to be weird.

Our owls live in this giant three-four story abandoned dance hall on our corner full of dark rooms and holes in the walls.
    The only place like that here, isn't abandoned, and is in use 24 hours a day. They hang out in trees here. That's one thing I appreciate about barn owls, they are much more adaptable than most other owls.

Sometimes when I go walking in the woods and start hearing crunches coming from under my feet, I'll look down and find I am stepping on old owl pellets full of bones. They've been hanging here for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Biaxident View Post
    The only place like that here, isn't abandoned, and is in use 24 hours a day. They hang out in trees here. That's one thing I appreciate about barn owls, they are much more adaptable than most other owls.

Sometimes when I go walking in the woods and start hearing crunches coming from under my feet, I'll look down and find I am stepping on old owl pellets full of bones. They've been hanging here for a while.
    We just don't have big enough trees around me for them to have a nice rotted out hollowed space to live in one. I recently found out that some barn owls in africa live in big grassy nests because in that area they lack trees or structures to nest in.

On a foggy, moonlit night camped beside a lake, a scream and a splash pierced the night. Everyone speculated on what sort of monster could be out there hunting its prey.

I later identified that scream as a barn owl. I've liked barn owls ever since.

Here's an interesting site:
    The Owl Pages - About Owls - photos, calls, books, art, mythology and more.

Quote Originally Posted by JAVO View Post
    On a foggy, moonlit night camped beside a lake, a scream and a splash pierced the night. Everyone speculated on what sort of monster could be out there hunting its prey.

I later identified that scream as a barn owl. I've liked barn owls ever since.

Here's an interesting site:
    The Owl Pages - About Owls - photos, calls, books, art, mythology and more.
    That's so neat! Thanks for the URL.

I also thought I'd post this photo (it's the abandoned dancehall where my owls live):

MBTI
    INTP
    Socionics
    INTp

Beautiful! I have not seen a barn owl, but do see smaller and larger ones - the larger being great horned owls. One was sitting on the power line a couple months ago eyeballing my cat in the back yard. I scared it and it took off - the wingspan was about 5 feet - huge!
    Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

Quote Originally Posted by ThinkingAboutIt View Post
    Beautiful! I have not seen a barn owl, but do see smaller and larger ones - the larger being great horned owls. One was sitting on the power line a couple months ago eyeballing my cat in the back yard. I scared it and it took off - the wingspan was about 5 feet - huge!
    I would love to have seen that owl! Great Horned Owls are very good looking, if you ask me.