User Tag List

MBTI
    INTP
    Socionics
    INTp

Default Malpais Insectopedia

Insectopedia - Beautiful bugs that live in the Southern Nicoya Peninsula

Look at the one just above the bottom, middle. Anyone know what it is?
    Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

You mean the yellowish one?

It looks like the nymphal stage of a unindentified leafhopper. It could also be a treehopper... but again, since this is only a nymph, it's hard to tell.

---

And the green metallic bee just above it is probably a male Euglossine (Orchid bee), considering the fact we are in Costa Rica, and the specific shape of its hind legs.
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

MBTI
    INTP
    Socionics
    INTp

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmail! View Post
    You mean the yellowish one?

It looks like the nymphal stage of a unindentified leafhopper. It could also be a treehopper... but again, since this is only a nymph, it's hard to tell.

---

And the green metallic bee just above it is probably a male Euglossine (Orchid bee), considering the fact we are in Costa Rica, and the specific shape of its hind legs.
    Thanks! I am not sure if it is a leaf hopper though as they are supposed to include "wings folded over its back in a tent shaped manner. In some species of leafhoppers the wings may be colorful but all species will have the presence of jagged looking spines along the back legs." and this one doesn't appear to have that...

Here is a representative staging of instars: BioOne Online Journals - External Morphology of Tagosodes orizicolus (Homoptera: Delphacidae) Revealed by Scanning Electron Microscopy

Do you use taxonomic utilities? 3I Interactive Keys and Taxonomic Databases I don't, but think I might learn as I love entomology
    Just because you can doesn't mean you should.