User Tag List

12 Last

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

Default Any insect experts/enthusiasts who can tell me what this is?

Any insect experts/enthusiasts who can tell me what this is?

I was out today on a hike (we've been having lovely weather all of this week!) and was specifically on the lookout for Bloodroot, which is an early spring wildflower. It's one of my favorite wildflowers. Anyway, I found some..yay! But while photographing one of the flowers this very interesting insect came along, and I have no idea what it is.

Some weird type of fly? Or bee? Or something else? Does anyone know? It seems to have a probiscus or something to that effect, which is confusing me. (sorry for the large size...but this will give the detail)

"...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

I wonder if it's a weird kind of bee? There are thousands...

Honestly, I don't know. But now I WANNA!

ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj

FLY. It's a fly that mimics a bee. Notice the eyes and the wings?
    My stuff (design & other junk) lives here: http://nnbox.ca

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx

it looks like a furry fly to me.
    INFP 4w5
    facebook
    The pain won't let me get away.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

It's a bee! It's a fly!

It's...

A bee fly!

See also this.

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by nightning View Post
    FLY. It's a fly that mimics a bee. Notice the eyes and the wings?
    Well yes, I did notice the eyes - they are rather fly-ish, eh? And I also noticed the bristly legs. I suppose the fuzzy back is what was throwing me off, and also I've never observed a fly going after flowers.

But thanks for reminding me of the mimicry phenomena! I guess I haven't made note of it often in the real world!!! hahaha. It's cool to actually SEE it. (I last learned of mimicry...hmm....10 yrs ago maybe, from a college textbook?)

Yay. Such an endearing little fly. ;-)

Ok, I'm done now. Thanks, all!

Edit: Edahn, thanks for the links. However, I must say my bee-fly is ever so much fuzzier and more bee-like than the other hoverflies. ;-)
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

Fascinating fly.

I grow things and I like it when I notice the insects and animals that like to visit with my plants for whatever reason...

I always remember an insect after seeing it once, too. Every spider, every bee, every fly, every beetle, etc. Fun!

Thanks for posting that neat photo.

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

From what I recall there are some flies that mimic looking like a wasp to scare of their predators. Now, I'm not an expert on insects, but this one could sure pass for one of those I guess
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Sparmopolius fulvus.

(I looked that up, I swear.)

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by maliafee View Post
    Fascinating fly.

I grow things and I like it when I notice the insects and animals that like to visit with my plants for whatever reason...

I always remember an insect after seeing it once, too. Every spider, every bee, every fly, every beetle, etc. Fun!

Thanks for posting that neat photo.
    Hey, I'm glad (and kinda surprised, actually) some people liked it! So no problem. I, too, notice insects, animals, plants, birds, etc around me, and like to learn what they are. Nature has always been my biggest passion, starting with birds when I was a young teenager, and the past 5 yrs it's expanded into flowers and pretty much anything else I see.

Quote Originally Posted by Amargith
    From what I recall there are some flies that mimic looking like a wasp to scare of their predators. Now, I'm not an expert on insects, but this one could sure pass for one of those I guess
    Yep, that seems to be the consensus, and I agree...this guy definitely wants to pass as a bee. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf
    Sparmopolius fulvus.

(I looked that up, I swear.)
    Oh, whatever. You have all of the genus and species names memorized.

Thanks though. Great info!! (Edahn kind of beat you to it with his first link; however his first link was broken or something so I wasn't able to view anything specific to the Bee fly)