• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Any insect experts/enthusiasts who can tell me what this is?

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Any insect experts/enthusiasts who can tell me what this is?

I was out today on a hike (we've been having lovely weather all of this week!) and was specifically on the lookout for Bloodroot, which is an early spring wildflower. It's one of my favorite wildflowers. Anyway, I found some..yay! But while photographing one of the flowers this very interesting insect came along, and I have no idea what it is.

Some weird type of fly? Or bee? Or something else? Does anyone know? It seems to have a probiscus or something to that effect, which is confusing me. (sorry for the large size...but this will give the detail)

maliafee

I wonder if it's a weird kind of bee? There are thousands...

Honestly, I don't know. But now I WANNA!

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
FLY. It's a fly that mimics a bee. Notice the eyes and the wings? :)

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Well yes, I did notice the eyes - they are rather fly-ish, eh? And I also noticed the bristly legs. I suppose the fuzzy back is what was throwing me off, and also I've never observed a fly going after flowers.

But thanks for reminding me of the mimicry phenomena! I guess I haven't made note of it often in the real world!!! hahaha. It's cool to actually SEE it. (I last learned of mimicry...hmm....10 yrs ago maybe, from a college textbook?:smile:)

Yay. Such an endearing little fly. ;-)

Ok, I'm done now. :laugh: Thanks, all!

Edit: Edahn, thanks for the links. However, I must say my bee-fly is ever so much fuzzier and more bee-like than the other hoverflies. ;-)

maliafee

Fascinating fly.

I grow things and I like it when I notice the insects and animals that like to visit with my plants for whatever reason...

I always remember an insect after seeing it once, too. Every spider, every bee, every fly, every beetle, etc. Fun!

Thanks for posting that neat photo.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
From what I recall there are some flies that mimic looking like a wasp to scare of their predators. Now, I'm not an expert on insects, but this one could sure pass for one of those I guess :D

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Sparmopolius fulvus.

(I looked that up, I swear.)

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Fascinating fly.

I grow things and I like it when I notice the insects and animals that like to visit with my plants for whatever reason...

I always remember an insect after seeing it once, too. Every spider, every bee, every fly, every beetle, etc. Fun!

Thanks for posting that neat photo.

Hey, I'm glad (and kinda surprised, actually) some people liked it! So no problem. I, too, notice insects, animals, plants, birds, etc around me, and like to learn what they are. Nature has always been my biggest passion, starting with birds when I was a young teenager, and the past 5 yrs it's expanded into flowers and pretty much anything else I see.

Amargith said:
From what I recall there are some flies that mimic looking like a wasp to scare of their predators. Now, I'm not an expert on insects, but this one could sure pass for one of those I guess

Yep, that seems to be the consensus, and I agree...this guy definitely wants to pass as a bee. :)

Fluffywolf said:
Sparmopolius fulvus.

(I looked that up, I swear.)

Oh, whatever. You have all of the genus and species names memorized.

Thanks though. Great info!! (Edahn kind of beat you to it with his first link; however his first link was broken or something so I wasn't able to view anything specific to the Bee fly)

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5

Huh. I took a look at it and could have sworn it was a bee. I guess it fooled me, as it intended to. Kind of embarrassing that I'm no more perceptive than an insect's predators. :blushing: