• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Weird Spider -- Should I Kill It!?

Shaula

Te > Fi > Ni
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
4w5
It looks a lot like this, only it's legs and thorax are entirely black, the abdomen is black on the bottom but bright red on top with a block spot in the middle, and it has teal (greenish-blue) coloured eyes. I just found it in my window seal.

4398813.jpg

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
It looks a lot like this, only it's legs and thorax are entirely black and it has teal (greenish-blue) coloured eyes. I just found it in my window seal.

4398813.jpg

Nah. That's just a jumping spider. Harmless to humans. That array of eyes up there is used to aim at the spot they want to hop to and the prey they want to capture. They don't typically spin webs, so they just hang out and capture insects. Probably belongs outside though as they typically live on the underside of leaves and flowers.

Blackmail!

Gotta catch you all!
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Jumping spiders are amongst the most fascinating and sophisticated invertebrates. They are the only one amongst their category than can stare at your face, thanks to their very developed eyes (which can perceive details and colours with high resolution).

And even if they are very small, their brain can weight up to 25% of their body mass. These creatures don't rely only on instinct (like insects would do), they can learn, they are often very curious and have a complex mating ceremony.

So please, don't kill it. Jumping spiders are harmless, funny to observe and can help you get rid of some annoying flies and mosquitoes.

Kangirl

I'm a star.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Don't kill it! Spideys are nice! Seriously, don't kill the poor little guy. It's not his fault he looks like that.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
*shudder*

When I was a kid, I couldn't even touch PICTURES of spiders in my large science books, it freaked me out too much; I'd open the pages with a ruler and stare from a distance with morbid curiosity.

Sort of like now, sitting about 3' away from my monitor just in case this crazy thing somehow jumps at my face, and yet unable to look away. :(

The science lesson is definitely interesting, though. I didn't know all those facts about jumpers.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Jumping spiders are the cutest. I love them. :heart:

Kyrielle

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Jumping spiders are the cutest. I love them. :heart:

Word.

There was one on a pier where I was sitting one day. And it kept hanging out near me, staring at me. It was adorable. I'd wave my fingers above it, and it would do a little halfway defense posture, but it never exactly ran away. I think it thought my hair was like giant silk strands. I had a distinct suspicion it would try to jump onto them.

Kangirl

I'm a star.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
They are cute, insofar as a spider can be cute, and even then only from a distance. But there's always something weirdly *conscious* about jumping spiders. Like they actually understand they're interacting with another being (me) or something. It freaks me out a little. Maybe I should keep one as a pet?

Risen

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
#1 human rule = "Kill first, ask questions later/never."

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
They are cute, insofar as a spider can be cute, and even then only from a distance. But there's always something weirdly *conscious* about jumping spiders. Like they actually understand they're interacting with another being (me) or something. It freaks me out a little. Maybe I should keep one as a pet?

Animals that watch YOU are always interesting. It's recognition that we find compelling even if they're just thinking something completely alien beyond our ken.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

I bet you guys wouldn't feel as keen on jumping spiders if we were 1" tall and they were 6' tall.
("Helllllp meeeee! Heeeelp meeeee!")

It is all a matter of perspective. :devil:

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
I bet you guys wouldn't feel as keen on jumping spiders if we were 1" tall and they were 6' tall.
("Helllllp meeeee! Heeeelp meeeee!")

It is all a matter of perspective. :devil:

Well, IF you weren't scared of them, you would be keen. QED.

Anonymous

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
"Jumping" and "spider" seems like a combination straight out of hell.