User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Default Weird Spider -- Should I Kill It!?

It looks a lot like this, only it's legs and thorax are entirely black, the abdomen is black on the bottom but bright red on top with a block spot in the middle, and it has teal (greenish-blue) coloured eyes. I just found it in my window seal.

Is not to be held accuntable for peeling errors.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Shaula View Post
    It looks a lot like this, only it's legs and thorax are entirely black and it has teal (greenish-blue) coloured eyes. I just found it in my window seal.

Nah. That's just a jumping spider. Harmless to humans. That array of eyes up there is used to aim at the spot they want to hop to and the prey they want to capture. They don't typically spin webs, so they just hang out and capture insects. Probably belongs outside though as they typically live on the underside of leaves and flowers.
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."

Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Jumping spiders are amongst the most fascinating and sophisticated invertebrates. They are the only one amongst their category than can stare at your face, thanks to their very developed eyes (which can perceive details and colours with high resolution).

And even if they are very small, their brain can weight up to 25% of their body mass. These creatures don't rely only on instinct (like insects would do), they can learn, they are often very curious and have a complex mating ceremony.

So please, don't kill it. Jumping spiders are harmless, funny to observe and can help you get rid of some annoying flies and mosquitoes.
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    LII

Take more pictures!
    "All humour has a foundation of truth."
    - Costrin

MBTI
    ENTJ

Don't kill it! Spideys are nice! Seriously, don't kill the poor little guy. It's not his fault he looks like that.
    "Only an irrational dumbass, would burn Jews." - Jaguar

"please give concise answers in plain English" - request from Provoker

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Cool, I feel much better knowing what it is. I've never seen one like this before.

Quote Originally Posted by Costrin View Post
    Take more pictures!
    Maybe later.
    Is not to be held accuntable for peeling errors.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

*shudder*

When I was a kid, I couldn't even touch PICTURES of spiders in my large science books, it freaked me out too much; I'd open the pages with a ruler and stare from a distance with morbid curiosity.

Sort of like now, sitting about 3' away from my monitor just in case this crazy thing somehow jumps at my face, and yet unable to look away.

The science lesson is definitely interesting, though. I didn't know all those facts about jumpers.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

Jumping spiders are the cutest. I love them.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by cascademn View Post
    Jumping spiders are the cutest. I love them.
    Word.

There was one on a pier where I was sitting one day. And it kept hanging out near me, staring at me. It was adorable. I'd wave my fingers above it, and it would do a little halfway defense posture, but it never exactly ran away. I think it thought my hair was like giant silk strands. I had a distinct suspicion it would try to jump onto them.
    "I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference."

Robert Frost

MBTI
    ENTJ

They are cute, insofar as a spider can be cute, and even then only from a distance. But there's always something weirdly *conscious* about jumping spiders. Like they actually understand they're interacting with another being (me) or something. It freaks me out a little. Maybe I should keep one as a pet?
    "Only an irrational dumbass, would burn Jews." - Jaguar

"please give concise answers in plain English" - request from Provoker