User Tag List

First 34567 Last

Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Frankly, you can't compare our nice innocent-looking Jumping spiders, with one of these brown, soft, long-legged Wolf spiders.

The two groups have almost nothing in common, besides the fact they're spiders.

As I said, Jumping spiders have a very complex neural system (a true brain, rather than a decentralized cord of paired neural ganglions, like what you would find amongst insects). This allows quick, sophisticated movements, a wide array of behaviors, almost emotion-like and often very comical. No other spiders can emulate this, because most of them are hopelessly stupid, even for invertebrates.

Jumping Spider Vision

The brain is shown in blue...

Salticidae are very odd creatures. They are funny to observe because of these quick reflexes, and also because they are very curious. Usually, they won't flee away from your fingers, they will try to understand what this is. Thus, they are sometimes considered as being inquisitive creatures. And again, they can stare at you, focus their vision directly towards your face: they have an excellent stereoscopic eyesight (better than many mammals), and a very large part of their brain is dedicated for image processing only. A wolf spider would be able only to notice movements... and not details, shapes, colours with a very high resolution, just like our jumping spiders would. They belong to completely different families!
    When a jumping spider is staring at you, it is really looking at you: direct eye to eye contact.

Many jumping spider species are the masters of mimicry. Here, we have one which is shaped like an ant. Even its forelegs move like antennas!

[YOUTUBE="3ZLtRfsrCcs"]Thai jumping spiders[/YOUTUBE]

And here are some extracts of their surprisingly elaborate courting ceremonies:

[YOUTUBE="UTbHpV_zFjE"]Jumping spiders courting[/YOUTUBE]
    [YOUTUBE="D92AUXhYZ0M"]Same with sound[/YOUTUBE]

They are exactly like birds, somehow. The male tries to seduce his loving one thanks to his bright colours, and many other visual and audio signals.
    Last edited by Blackmail!; 04-15-2009 at 10:37 AM.
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmail! View Post
    As I said, Jumping spiders have a very complex neural system (a true brain, rather than a decentralized cord of paired neural ganglions, like what you would find amongst insects). This allows quick, sophisticated movements, a wide array of behaviors, almost emotion-like and often very comical. No other spiders can emulate this, because most of them are hopelessly stupid, even for invertebrates.
    Blackmail! great videos! Maybe intelligence is correlated with predation? Seems like predators must be intelligent to outmaneuver their quarry. Typical spiders are not really predators.
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by Synarch View Post
    Typical spiders are not really predators.
    "Typical" spiders are passive predators that rely on instincts, while our tiny Jumping spiders are active predators that have to rely on reflexes and memory. Those animals are exceptionally gifted when they need to evaluate distances, or what is really edible for them.
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

Blackmail!! Awesome posts! Thanks for the info.

Now I like jumping spiders even more.

(Whenever I used to find them in my old apartment on a piece of furniture or something, I'd try to transport them to one of my plants. Given their jumping abilities, this was sometimes challenging, but usually I was able to do it without too much trouble and I was always happy to see them in some soil or on a plant leaf rather than a sterile surface. Sadly, I haven't seen them much in my new place.)
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by Hmm View Post
    Ohmygawd. That is the most horrifying thing I've ever seen in my life.
    I don't know what to say, I just can't find the worlds honestly. I don't know you well, I'm worried I'd make you cry. I can't decide if I wanna hear a sound bite of you saying that or if it would make me wanna shoot myself. I'm almost sure the "Ohmygawd" part makes me wanna puke but I may think it's cute. I feel dirty now, I need a shower. Can you please explain yourself a little more?

MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None

If it's in the house kill it or relocate it outside and hopefully there's not an egg sac lying around. :eek: I've got nothing against spider's but prefer them outdoors.

When we first moved to Raleigh we lived in an apartment on the ground floor (easier to get our then one and two year old children inside). It was early March and I went to move a box from the bedroom to the closet and a huge wolf spider came running out.

Of course I almost died having never seen a spider that big before!!

It didn't end there. They were running all over the damn place. Jumping ones too! My fear of them diminished and I became and an expert at bashing them with any shoe that was lying around. Thinking back not I'm not sure why didn't have this guy come out!

When we bought our home I made sure it was elevated by a crawl space to keep critters out. I still see them in the yard from time to time and have seen the occasional black widow. Not sure if I've seen a brown recluse being as they kind of blend in with other brown spiders.
    Time is a delicate mistress.

Ewwwww, spiders are sooo scary. I would say that you kill it, or just get rid of it!!! :horor:

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    548 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTj

:eek::horor:They have monsters like that in the Eastern US? (and not even that far south)!
    That looks more like something you see in South America!
    In VA, I remember big daddy longlegs (harvestmen, which are considered a different species of arachnid from a spider, and they are just as thin legged/small bodied as the house spiders up north). My brother says that I pointed out some hideous big spider in that state once (around the Natural Bridge attraction), but I did not remember it. I usually remember spiders I've seen, but perhaps I blocked it out or something.
    APS Profile: Inclusion: e/w=1/6 (Supine) |Control: e/w=7/3 (Choleric) |Affection: e/w=1/9 (Supine)
    Ti 54.3 | Ne 47.3 | Si 37.8 | Fe 17.7 | Te 22.5 | Ni 13.4 | Se 18.9 | Fi 27.9

Temperament (APS) from scratch -- MBTI Type from scratch
    Type Ideas

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by Eric B View Post
    :eek::horor:They have monsters like that in the Eastern US? (and not even that far south)!
    That looks more like something you see in South America!
    Actually, the largest wolf spiders on Earth are supposed to be Hogna carolinensis females, with a body up to one inch long.

And this specie, just as its name suggests, hails from the US east coast, and especially Carolina...

Anyway! Wolf spiders are mostly harmless (although disgusting to some), even when they bite. Unless, of course, you live in Australia. But every living beings in Australia are poisonous (insects, arachnids, fishes, lizards, mammals, birds, octopus, snails... etc), so somehow that's an exception to rules.

Wolf spiders neural system remains extremely primitive, compared to Salticid's.

7w8 SCUxI

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

Kill the devil!!!

edit: sorry, I took a few moments to regain sanity. It's probably just a jumping spider. They're small, scared, and most likely harmless. Let it be.
    Is it that by its indefiniteness it shadows forth the heartless voids and immensities of the universe, and thus stabs us from behind with the thought of annihilation, when beholding the white depths of the milky way?