User Tag List

First 23456 Last

Charting a course
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by juggernaut View Post
    Portland might be really nice for you, being right between Seattle and SF. The only drawback (to my mind) is that it's serious hippie-ville. My dad hates the place because of all the "tree huggers" (he lives in Washington state as well) and the fact that you can't find a normal piece of bread anywhere (it's all the oaty, nutty, grainy stuff...as a first-generation German immigrant, he's all about rye, pumpernickel, and the occasional baguette). I don't mind the moderate hippies, but the hardcore environmental nazism isn't for me.

MBTI
    nnnn

I've been living in Vancouver for a couple of months now, have visited Seattle and will visit SF at the end of the month...will let you know what I think.

MBTI
    ISTx

I'm considering SF pretty seriously.

MBTI
    nnnn

So I did all three (SF, Seattle and Vancouver)...Vancouver is my favourite, but I've also been there the longest+it doesn't seem to be an option for you.

Out of Seattle and SF, I would go for SF. It seems a bit more dynamic, a bit sunnier, a bit more diverse, bigger...Seattle might be slightly more in your comfort zone, but I find that an environment that's a bit more vibrant EP style helps me to grow and complements me nicely.

MBTI
    ISTx

Awesome. Thanks for the update! I want to visit Vancouver sometime.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

San Francisco. Like Uytuun says, it's really diverse. And not just ethnically, there's tons of different sub-cultures too, most notably (imo) the large amount of geeky hedonists.

MBTI
    YaYa

I'll necro this thread.

I've lived in all three areas, Seattle, Portland, SF bay area. Liked all three. It depends what you are looking for.

Seattle
    Con-Rain. Relatively dirty. Can be hard to find a good job. Pissed off people with an edge(although I might rate this a pro.
    Pro-Fits my cynical attitude, most educated city in US, rich culture of indoor activities since it rains all the time.

P-Town
    Con-Hard to find a good job. Dreary days but not as bad as Seattle.
    Pro-Cool people(I wouldn't classify them as hippies exactly), cleanest of all cities, nicer people. Not as cramped for space.

SF Bay Area(I live in Berkeley)
    Con-Very small variety of everything when grocery shopping. Friendly narcissism to the highest degree. Cost of living.
    Pro-Beautiful year round. Good job prospects. Good variety of ethnic food. Very friendly people.

MBTI
    ISTx

^You get around. hah.

Where has been your favorite location?

MBTI
    YaYa

Doesn't work like that, at least not for an NP like me. There were things I appreciated and didn't like about each. I probably felt most at home in Seattle and then Portland. SF is still growing on me.

I think even if you lived on the beach in Hawaii, at some point you'd ge sick of it.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

I can't imagine living in a city where the median home value is over $800,000. San Francisco is one of the most overpriced cities in the world.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."