• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Fellow dog owners.........

BerberElla

12 and a half weeks
MBTI Type
infp
I need some advice.

My beauty, Princess, pulls so hard on her leash whenever we go out for a walk. I took a friends advice and bought a training lead, which goes around the mouth and stops her from pulling because it yanks her head to the side if she tries to pull too hard.

Now it is working, and walking has become a doddle, but I hate seeing her so restrained.

She used to sniff trees and try to explore in great eagerness, and now she can't even sniff stuff. I feel bad for her. :cry:

Is there any other way to teach her not to pull so hard on a regular lead?

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
I have the same problem. My dog, Molly, is very very energetic when I take her on walks. She always wants to run freely and chase birds and explore, and it makes walking a chore, as I'm always having to tensely drag her back a little, which I don't like. I've tried to teach her, but I know nothing about dogs. I guess I'm in the same boat as you :(

BerberElla

12 and a half weeks
MBTI Type
infp
I have the same problem. My dog, Molly, is very very energetic when I take her on walks. She always wants to run freely and chase birds and explore, and it makes walking a chore, as I'm always having to tensely drag her back a little, which I don't like. I've tried to teach her, but I know nothing about dogs. I guess I'm in the same boat as you :(

Hopefully we'll both get some tips in this thread. :hug:

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Does she have a toy or a ball that she is particularly interested in. Or any object or item you can totally get her focus and attention too?

I've 5 german shephards myself, all very well trained apart from one which is a teenaged rebellion in the making. But have quite a deep understanding and interest in the dog psyche.

There are two things important ABOVE ALL when it comes to dog training.

1. Be consistant. Always!
2. Never punish the bad habits. Encourage the good habits.

On young puppies/dogs, you can use correctional body language, such as a tap on the nose and such if they're too much of a handful but you should try to focus on being able to encourage him to do right instead of only punish the bad. Sometimes forms punishment is merited ofcourse, but only use it as an absolutely last resort or if he REALLY does something wrong.

Leashes like that, though effective, only makes the dog uncomfortable. It's a punish and he might start to dislike walking with you alltogether. Depending a bit on the race. Some dogs or quite 'dumb' and will repeatedly follow the same patterns, despite outcome. But in case of german shephards for example. They tend to have a very good memory and if something is not to their liking. It will influence them for the rest of their lives.

If you are able to keep the focus of the dog on an item you have in your pocket. And occasionally play with it with her so she likes to walk right next to you, focusing on the toy. She will most likely learn and enjoy to walk right next to you. And Encouraging the good behaviour by supplying the treat. (Without ever giving the ball when pulling.) You can in time transition the prize toy with a mere pat on the back for walking next to you.

To get her to walk next to you, you just have to get her interested in whatever is in your pocket. Watch how long her attention span to it is and everytime you lure her next to you, try to stall giving the prize and let her walk next to you for it for a while, then giving it to her. But remember, it is imperitive you attempt to show the dog in time that it's the proper walking method (next to you) is the reason she gets the prize. Giving the toy to her when she is pulling would completely undermine your intentions and cause the whole training exercise to fail, especially if she is a particularly smart, evolving dog.

Anyhow, every dog is different and could use different approaches. But point 1 and 2 that I mentioned are always winner. Can't really go wrong as long as you follow those two rules. :)

BerberElla

12 and a half weeks
MBTI Type
infp
Thanks for the post fluffywolf. She is a staffie so I'm not sure how smart they are, personally I think my cats are much smarter than her lol.

Umm the only toy she is really into at the moment is her ragging rope, would that work or is it too distracting?

I truly hate the leash I bought for her, it's really unfair so I won't be using it anymore.

I am consistent, she just seems to take quite awhile to pick up on things.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
A staffie. :D

Yeah, they are notorious for being more then a handful. They're quite rigid in their ways. Wouldn't say they're among the 'dumber' races there are. But most definatly among the most stubborn races. Which isn't a bad thing but they do require patience. :)

And anything will do, what I use is a rubber like ball with a rope through it. That's 'visible' through my pocket. And train my dogs to be interested in that. But I must say I always train with it from the moment they're a puppy and it's their ultimate reward they know because of it. Trying to get a mature dog interested in a new thing can be hard though, so if she's only interested in the ragging rope. Then it's definatly a viable toy to start with.

If she's still very playful in general you can try to teach her to become interested in another item to play with you though. A ball on a rope for example has been for me the best 'reward' item. Give it, hold on and tug a bit and then let her win the object after a short wrestle. Dogs love that. :)

A ragging rope (if it looks like what I imagine it looks like. It's a pretty broad concept :p ) might be a bit hard to use as a reward in this case. But like I said. The most important thing is for her to be interested in it. So if it's the only thing she likes, it will do. :) Just show and teach her that it's always in your pocket, ready to be rewarded for showing what you want her to be showing.

BerberElla

12 and a half weeks
MBTI Type
infp
A staffie. :D

Yeah, they are notorious for being more then a handful. They're quite rigid in their ways. Wouldn't say they're among the 'dumber' races there are. But most definatly among the most stubborn races. Which isn't a bad thing but they do require patience. :)

And anything will do, what I use is a rubber like ball with a rope through it. That's 'visible' through my pocket. And train my dogs to be interested in that. But I must say I always train with it from the moment they're a puppy and it's their ultimate reward they know because of it. Trying to get a mature dog interested in a new thing can be hard though, so if she's only interested in the ragging rope. Then it's definatly a viable toy to start with.

If she's still very playful in general you can try to teach her to become interested in another item to play with you though. A ball on a rope for example has been for me the best 'reward' item. Give it, hold on and tug a bit and then let her win the object after a short wrestle. Dogs love that. :)

A ragging rope (if it looks like what I imagine it looks like. It's a pretty broad concept :p ) might be a bit hard to use as a reward in this case. But like I said. The most important thing is for her to be interested in it. So if it's the only thing she likes, it will do. :) Just show and teach her that it's always in your pocket, ready to be rewarded for showing what you want her to be showing.

The ragging rope did infact used to be a ball on a rope lol but she ripped the ball off in a week so all that's left is the rope.

Unfortunately I didn't get her as a proper pup, she was 16 weeks old when she came to me.

Her mum died giving birth to her so she didn't experience being around any other dogs and she was kept locked up in a tiny cupboard for most of the 16 weeks until I rescued her. :cry: She was also beaten so she is quite a fearful dog, it's taking me time to help ease her worries.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
One more thing, you can lure her while saying a command. Like "follow". Before you do the play trick. It might stimulate her to relate the command to the action she is going to do.

Don't say it in a strong way though. Coming towards you always has to be fun for a dog. Shouting at a dog to come closer to you goes against their instincts. And dogs have a good hearing, there's no reason at all to shout anyhow. Dunno why some people do it. :p )

However, commands only really work well on dogs that are willing to work for you or the reward (which is 98% of all dogs luckily). Some dogs (the rare 2% :p ) don't respond well to commands. And even though they might want the reward or even be ok with walking next to you. They're unwilling to do so on command. You just have to feel how your dog responds to authority.

edit: My point here is obviously that it is important for the dog to want to walk next to you. :)

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Choke collar! Very simple and effective and not inhumane. She can walk at liberty as long as she does not pull so hard that she engages the choke collar. It is the ultimate negative feedback loop and works VERY quickly. This worked on my very stubborn Siberian Husky 19 years ago. :D

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Choke collar! Very simple and effective and not inhumane. She can walk at liberty as long as she does not pull so hard that she engages the choke collar. It is the ultimate negative feedback loop and works VERY quickly. This worked on my very stubborn Siberian Husky 19 years ago. :D

A husky enjoys pulling, they're instinctively driven to it. Most husky's would keep pulling, choke collar or not. Your husky must be a rare case. :p

A choke collar can definatly work on some dogs that are smart enough not to try it too many times in a row. But at the same time it may also have an effect of them not enjoying the walk alltogether. Depending on the psyche of the dog.

What works for one dog might not work for another. And in the case of a choke collar it can have negative effects.

On most german shephards, a choke collar doesn't have any effect on the pulling, but it does offer a great way to get attention or give them a correction without needing to stand up to them dominantly. (A little tug, the collar rattles then chokes slightly gets their attention.)

But then again, I teach my dogs to follow next to me on command, but in leisure time, when not training, I give them the freedom to do whatever they want, which means 'my dogs pull during leisure walks, since they enjoy that. (Good wrist training.) But choke collar or not, they will keep pulling very strongly. :p

My shephards are in top condition though. I can ride on a bicycle for 10 kilometer and they pull me all the way at 20-30Km/h (Which is like ehm, 15-20Mph?). It's like sitting on a moped. Vroom vroom.

But like I said, for some dogs it's in their nature to pull and work. They love it and a choke collar will have no effect, or a negative one in terms of frustration. Plus, when they do pull you're instinctively going to correct them. Which means you keep giving a negative effect to walking. Whilest the other way around. (Rewarding him for not pulling). Will ultimatly keep the dog happier.

He might like pulling, but if he's rewarded for not pulling or likes to follow your command. You can get him to not pull, without needing to correct him for doing something he enjoys doing. :)

Biaxident

Charting a course
MBTI Type
INFP
No one mentioned the number one training aid, "treats". And all the dogs I have had respond to a noise to focus attention on me before giving a command. Usually it's a hissing noise.

And I have noticed that the dogs I have had, respond better when strict training doesn't last more than 20 minutes or so. I think most dogs get bored if it lasts too long.

I walk our Border Collie/Australian Shepherd mix without a leash. And if she sees a new dog or cat she wants to go visit, she waits for me to tell her it's okay.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Sure treats work.

Don't do that myself much since my dogs follow a specific diet to stay in shape and in the sport it's not allowed to use treats of any kind so I need to train them to be willing to do anything without expecting treats. :p

But for yer everyday household dog, yeah treats work most definatly. :)

There are also clickers to get the attention of a dog and use it as a reward. Using a clicker hardly works on already matured dogs. It's a method of training that has to be started when they're still a pup to be really effective.

BerberElla

12 and a half weeks
MBTI Type
infp

I popped into the pet shop quickly on my way home with the kids and asked about it, and the man looked at me like I was the cruelest dog owner ever. :cry:

I'm not sure if she would even learn on it, I'm not joking she pulls on her regular lead so much you can hear her wheezing as it chokes her already. :doh:

@Bi I have tried treats, but so far zero success, she is too excitable when we are out and about, the treats work at home to get her to learn tricks, she high fives me now. :D However when we are outside she is more concerned with dragging me along to see what she can rummage from the floor, which is also a bad thing. She tried to eat some bubble gum some kid had literally just spat out on the way home just now.

Biaxident

Charting a course
MBTI Type
INFP
There are also clickers to get the attention of a dog and use it as a reward. Using a clicker hardly works on already matured dogs. It's a method of training that has to be started when they're still a pup to be really effective.

I think Berb's puppy is still young enough for it to have an effect.

Biaxident

Charting a course
MBTI Type
INFP
I popped into the pet shop quickly on my way home with the kids and asked about it, and the man looked at me like I was the cruelest dog owner ever. :cry:

I'm not sure if she would even learn on it, I'm not joking she pulls on her regular lead so much you can hear her wheezing as it chokes her already. :doh:

@Bi I have tried treats, but so far zero success, she is too excitable when we are out and about, the treats work at home to get her to learn tricks, she high fives me now. :D However when we are outside she is more concerned with dragging me along to see what she can rummage from the floor, which is also a bad thing. She tried to eat some bubble gum some kid had literally just spat out on the way home just now.

LOL! :D Gotta love puppies.

I don't know about Fluffy, but I think a noise that startles her out of the "Let's go run and explore NOW!" behavior, would help. Then you have to distract her with something else so she doesn't start right back up.

Some people use whistles. But try something less irritating first. :)

Biaxident

Charting a course
MBTI Type
INFP
So something like that clacker thing someone mentioned above? :)

Sure, but I have used a can filled with ball bearings or pennies, whistles, or just hissing. Anything loud enough or irritating enough, to break that behavior loop and get her to pay attention to you.

professor goodstain

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7~7
A husky enjoys pulling, they're instinctively driven to it. Most husky's would keep pulling, choke collar or not. Your husky must be a rare case. :p

A choke collar can definatly work on some dogs that are smart enough not to try it too many times in a row. But at the same time it may also have an effect of them not enjoying the walk alltogether. Depending on the psyche of the dog.

What works for one dog might not work for another. And in the case of a choke collar it can have negative effects.

On most german shephards, a choke collar doesn't have any effect on the pulling, but it does offer a great way to get attention or give them a correction without needing to stand up to them dominantly. (A little tug, the collar rattles then chokes slightly gets their attention.)

But then again, I teach my dogs to follow next to me on command, but in leisure time, when not training, I give them the freedom to do whatever they want, which means 'my dogs pull during leisure walks, since they enjoy that. (Good wrist training.) But choke collar or not, they will keep pulling very strongly. :p

My shephards are in top condition though. I can ride on a bicycle for 10 kilometer and they pull me all the way at 20-30Km/h (Which is like ehm, 15-20Mph?). It's like sitting on a moped. Vroom vroom.

But like I said, for some dogs it's in their nature to pull and work. They love it and a choke collar will have no effect, or a negative one in terms of frustration. Plus, when they do pull you're instinctively going to correct them. Which means you keep giving a negative effect to walking. Whilest the other way around. (Rewarding him for not pulling). Will ultimatly keep the dog happier.

He might like pulling, but if he's rewarded for not pulling or likes to follow your command. You can get him to not pull, without needing to correct him for doing something he enjoys doing. :)

You are CORRECT. The dog has to enjoy the walk too. Or else it could possibly not want to go for a walk all that much. Seen in its behavior while on a walk.
The dog is the king/queen of frolic. The symbol (frolic) would have never been invented without the existence of dogs.
I personaly like the (one step forward-two steps back) w/o any muzzle technique. Every time there's a pull, there is a (gentle) pull back that is more opposing. It's your best friend. Be it's best friend.

maliafee

Sue Miles is an amazing trainer who trained my puppy 20 years ago and who used to work with big cats and dolphins. She has a book called "The Ten Secrets for Housebreaking Your Puppy" or something like that,
but more relevantly to you she has a DVD called Force Free Puppy Training.

It's available here: Purchase books and DVDs by Sue.

It works even if your dog isn't a puppy. We had a dog who was aggressive as all get out and in just a few hours Sue turned her around completely. She is quite great. I highly recommend her help!

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I didn't read through all the replies, but having two dogs that do this myself, I replaced a collar with an entire harness, and that made it to where when she pulls it isn't putting pressure on just her neck, but her entire torso, making it easier on her and--more importantly--easier on me to pull her back.

Even though she's only 15 lbs, I have to use a leash made for a dog up to 75 lbs, because she's that strong. I use a locking retracting leash and harness combo which gives her the ability to explore, or keep her close when on the sidewalk near the roadway.

Twice a week (I try at least twice a week.. doesn't always happen.) I take her to the local dog park and she can run wild for hours out there. Gives me time to read, walk, and talk to strangers and see other dogs, and she LOVES it.

I don't really mind the hard dragging she does on me, because it exercises my forearms and arm muscles. I was only worried about her, and she seems to like the harness better now that she isn't choking herself trying to drag 145 lbs. of human behind her.