User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Quote Originally Posted by BerberElla View Post
    I need some advice.

My beauty, Princess, pulls so hard on her leash whenever we go out for a walk. I took a friends advice and bought a training lead, which goes around the mouth and stops her from pulling because it yanks her head to the side if she tries to pull too hard.

Now it is working, and walking has become a doddle, but I hate seeing her so restrained.

She used to sniff trees and try to explore in great eagerness, and now she can't even sniff stuff. I feel bad for her.

Is there any other way to teach her not to pull so hard on a regular lead?
    My dog did this too when I first got her. She had a normal leash and collar and would pull every which way. Then my boyfriend talked me into getting her a Martingale collar which is what he used for his Australian Cattle Dog:

You can also find them with a cloth only variety, where the "choke" area is cloth rather than metal. It has helped significantly. That and the fact that I force her to sit next to me for at least 30 seconds every time she tries to dictate what direction we're walking in.

Took time and patience, but eventually I won the power struggle. And that's basically what it is. Good luck Mon!
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

=( I like the treat idea more.. I dislike choking of my dogs, I can't bring myself to do it. I don't think her enthusiasm is something to be seen as a bad thing, so I can't punish her for doing it. The leash limits her to as far as I want her to go, and the harness makes pulling her back easier on both of us. I'll just have strong arms and she'll just be hyper.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

Charting a course
    MBTI
    INFP

Yeah I don't like collars that choke, tighten, etc. But the breed she has, is one of those that no-one wants to see out of control. And that has a bad reputation already.

It would be sad if she lost her dog because she was out of control, and scared someone. Then some "do-gooder" called whatever her version of animal control may be.

My dog's got a healthy dose of Pit Bull Terrier in her. I cannot let her get out of control if only because of the bad reputation. She's a sweet dog, but a bit addle-brained and has nearly gotten herself killed once before by breaking free of my grip and running straight into NYC metro traffic.

/agree Biaxident I also love her too much to cost us our (very strictly run) apartment (building) i.e. her home as well as mine, or a panicked stranger's call to Animal Control.
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

In the end, there is no best way anyone can give you through a forum. Just ideas and advice. But since each dog is unique. It's up to you to find the method you, and your dog, are most comfortable with.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    LII

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf View Post
    In the end, there is no best way anyone can give you through a forum. Just ideas and advice. But since each dog is unique. It's up to you to find the method you, and your dog, are most comfortable with.
    DOG TYPOLOGY.

My dog is totally ISTJ.
    "All humour has a foundation of truth."
    - Costrin

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

From my 5 german shephards, I'd classify 3 of them as ENTJ's. Their the pretendo macho's that always try to prove themselves. And do a lot of exagerating too!

The oldest and 'alpha' dog around the house is a ESFJ. Completely in control.

And the fifth, the youngest, he's just so ESFP. Cute though.

They are all very externally focused. But I think that's normal for dogs that are around other dogs. Or maybe even dogs in general.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    LII
    "All humour has a foundation of truth."
    - Costrin

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

not that this helps but my dog does the exact same thing. drives me nuts. she'll tug till she passes out or falls over.
    "Honest differences are often a healthy sign of progress. "

"You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty."

"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."

Mahatma Gandhi

Enneagram: 9w1

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Watch The Dog Whisperer.

I have a little toy Maltese and I think she's an ESFP.