User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Charting a course
    MBTI
    INFP

No one mentioned the number one training aid, "treats". And all the dogs I have had respond to a noise to focus attention on me before giving a command. Usually it's a hissing noise.

And I have noticed that the dogs I have had, respond better when strict training doesn't last more than 20 minutes or so. I think most dogs get bored if it lasts too long.

I walk our Border Collie/Australian Shepherd mix without a leash. And if she sees a new dog or cat she wants to go visit, she waits for me to tell her it's okay.

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Sure treats work.

Don't do that myself much since my dogs follow a specific diet to stay in shape and in the sport it's not allowed to use treats of any kind so I need to train them to be willing to do anything without expecting treats. :P

But for yer everyday household dog, yeah treats work most definatly.

There are also clickers to get the attention of a dog and use it as a reward. Using a clicker hardly works on already matured dogs. It's a method of training that has to be started when they're still a pup to be really effective.

MBTI
    infp

Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post
    Choke collar! Very simple and effective and not inhumane. She can walk at liberty as long as she does not pull so hard that she engages the choke collar. It is the ultimate negative feedback loop and works VERY quickly. This worked on my very stubborn Siberian Husky 19 years ago.
    I popped into the pet shop quickly on my way home with the kids and asked about it, and the man looked at me like I was the cruelest dog owner ever.

I'm not sure if she would even learn on it, I'm not joking she pulls on her regular lead so much you can hear her wheezing as it chokes her already.

@Bi I have tried treats, but so far zero success, she is too excitable when we are out and about, the treats work at home to get her to learn tricks, she high fives me now. However when we are outside she is more concerned with dragging me along to see what she can rummage from the floor, which is also a bad thing. She tried to eat some bubble gum some kid had literally just spat out on the way home just now.
    Echo - "So are you trying to say she is Evil"

DeWitt - "Something far worse, she's an Idealist"

Berb's Johari Berb's Nohari

Charting a course
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf View Post

There are also clickers to get the attention of a dog and use it as a reward. Using a clicker hardly works on already matured dogs. It's a method of training that has to be started when they're still a pup to be really effective.
    I think Berb's puppy is still young enough for it to have an effect.

Charting a course
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by BerberElla View Post
    I popped into the pet shop quickly on my way home with the kids and asked about it, and the man looked at me like I was the cruelest dog owner ever.

I'm not sure if she would even learn on it, I'm not joking she pulls on her regular lead so much you can hear her wheezing as it chokes her already.

@Bi I have tried treats, but so far zero success, she is too excitable when we are out and about, the treats work at home to get her to learn tricks, she high fives me now. However when we are outside she is more concerned with dragging me along to see what she can rummage from the floor, which is also a bad thing. She tried to eat some bubble gum some kid had literally just spat out on the way home just now.
    LOL! Gotta love puppies.

I don't know about Fluffy, but I think a noise that startles her out of the "Let's go run and explore NOW!" behavior, would help. Then you have to distract her with something else so she doesn't start right back up.

Some people use whistles. But try something less irritating first.

MBTI
    infp

So something like that clacker thing someone mentioned above?
    Echo - "So are you trying to say she is Evil"

DeWitt - "Something far worse, she's an Idealist"

Berb's Johari Berb's Nohari

Charting a course
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by BerberElla View Post
    So something like that clacker thing someone mentioned above?
    Sure, but I have used a can filled with ball bearings or pennies, whistles, or just hissing. Anything loud enough or irritating enough, to break that behavior loop and get her to pay attention to you.

Senior Member professor goodstain's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7~7
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf View Post
    A husky enjoys pulling, they're instinctively driven to it. Most husky's would keep pulling, choke collar or not. Your husky must be a rare case. :P

A choke collar can definatly work on some dogs that are smart enough not to try it too many times in a row. But at the same time it may also have an effect of them not enjoying the walk alltogether. Depending on the psyche of the dog.

What works for one dog might not work for another. And in the case of a choke collar it can have negative effects.

On most german shephards, a choke collar doesn't have any effect on the pulling, but it does offer a great way to get attention or give them a correction without needing to stand up to them dominantly. (A little tug, the collar rattles then chokes slightly gets their attention.)

But then again, I teach my dogs to follow next to me on command, but in leisure time, when not training, I give them the freedom to do whatever they want, which means 'my dogs pull during leisure walks, since they enjoy that. (Good wrist training.) But choke collar or not, they will keep pulling very strongly. :P

My shephards are in top condition though. I can ride on a bicycle for 10 kilometer and they pull me all the way at 20-30Km/h (Which is like ehm, 15-20Mph?). It's like sitting on a moped. Vroom vroom.

But like I said, for some dogs it's in their nature to pull and work. They love it and a choke collar will have no effect, or a negative one in terms of frustration. Plus, when they do pull you're instinctively going to correct them. Which means you keep giving a negative effect to walking. Whilest the other way around. (Rewarding him for not pulling). Will ultimatly keep the dog happier.

He might like pulling, but if he's rewarded for not pulling or likes to follow your command. You can get him to not pull, without needing to correct him for doing something he enjoys doing.
    You are CORRECT. The dog has to enjoy the walk too. Or else it could possibly not want to go for a walk all that much. Seen in its behavior while on a walk.
    The dog is the king/queen of frolic. The symbol (frolic) would have never been invented without the existence of dogs.
    I personaly like the (one step forward-two steps back) w/o any muzzle technique. Every time there's a pull, there is a (gentle) pull back that is more opposing. It's your best friend. Be it's best friend.
    everyone uses every function about evenly. take NE for example. if there are those who don't use it much, then why are there such massive amounts of people constantly flowing through Wallmart with 20 items or less?

Sue Miles is an amazing trainer who trained my puppy 20 years ago and who used to work with big cats and dolphins. She has a book called "The Ten Secrets for Housebreaking Your Puppy" or something like that,
    but more relevantly to you she has a DVD called Force Free Puppy Training.

It's available here: Purchase books and DVDs by Sue.

It works even if your dog isn't a puppy. We had a dog who was aggressive as all get out and in just a few hours Sue turned her around completely. She is quite great. I highly recommend her help!

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

I didn't read through all the replies, but having two dogs that do this myself, I replaced a collar with an entire harness, and that made it to where when she pulls it isn't putting pressure on just her neck, but her entire torso, making it easier on her and--more importantly--easier on me to pull her back.

Even though she's only 15 lbs, I have to use a leash made for a dog up to 75 lbs, because she's that strong. I use a locking retracting leash and harness combo which gives her the ability to explore, or keep her close when on the sidewalk near the roadway.

Twice a week (I try at least twice a week.. doesn't always happen.) I take her to the local dog park and she can run wild for hours out there. Gives me time to read, walk, and talk to strangers and see other dogs, and she LOVES it.

I don't really mind the hard dragging she does on me, because it exercises my forearms and arm muscles. I was only worried about her, and she seems to like the harness better now that she isn't choking herself trying to drag 145 lbs. of human behind her.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge