• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Ask Malia: Cooking advice

maliafee

Well, any liquid = too runny for me. This method would probably not work for someone who enjoys sunny side up eggs :)

Understood! Some people have this issue, and I understand. Nobody likes something that makes 'em queasy. But traditionally, omelets should be moist inside but not un/undercooked. I like your innovative method to address this taste preference, instead of just giving up on lovely omelets. :D

maliafee

Hey, malia--I once had some incredible soup at an Italian place in Houston. It was Sweet Potato with Chorizo. Have you heard of such a soup, or run across a recipe?

Well, I haven't come across this before, but the flavor combination sounds fantastic!

Here is a recipe I found online for you (beware, I haven't tried it myself), and it looks so tasty I wanna make it this week at the latest:

Quick & Easy Potato, Sweet Potato & Chorizo Soup

Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes

Serves 6-8

INGREDIENTS

1 tbsp olive oil
1-2 links smoked chorizo sausage, thinly sliced
2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and diced small
2 large potatoes, (I like Yukon Gold), peeled and diced small
8 cups chicken broth
Salt & pepper to taste
2 sprigs fresh thyme (rosemary would be good here too)

DIRECTIONS

1. Sauté the chorizo in olive oil in a large Dutch oven until they start to crisp around the edges about 3 minutes. Add the potatoes and sweet potatoes and sauté for another 3-4 minutes. Add thyme and chicken broth.

2. Stir in any bits stuck to the bottom of the pot and bring it to a boil. Lower the heat to simmer and cook uncovered for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. The soup is ready when the potatoes are soft. I mashed them a bit in the pot so that the soup thickened but there were still chunks of vegetables.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Okay, what types of flavors do you like? Or do you want me to... say... pick three random good vegetarian recipes? (And, are you vegan or vegetarian?)

~Malia

I'm vegetarian. I like lots of veggies but am not so hot on spinach :)

maliafee

Here's one (sorry I've been gardening all day so this is all I've had time to type from "the vault" -- I know you're not vegan but I thought I'd start with this cheese-less cheesecake because it's so goddamn good. in the next day or two i'll give you some other greats):

Mom's New York Cheesecake-----turned VEGAN! <--designed by Malia Fee
This is a big cheesecake - halve for a small-medium one.

CRUST
1 1/2 c graham cracker crumbs
4 T sugar, OR honey
1/2 c earth balance buttery spread, OR butter

FILLING
16 oz. soy "cream cheese"
16 oz. rice "cream cheese"
2/3 c soft silken tofu
1 T vanilla
1 1/4 c sugar, OR 1/2 c mild honey
1/3 c T lemon juice

TOPPING
2 c rice "sour cream"
3 tsp vanilla
1/4 c sugar
1/2 c lemon juice

*OPTIONAL* Cherry jam/preserves, for marbling the sour cream top! <-- this is gooood!

Combine CRUST ingredients and press into springform pan. Refrigerate.

Mix all FILLING ingredients in medium bowl.

Remove pan with CRUST from fridge and pour FILLING into pan.

Bake in preheated oven at 350 F until cheesecake is golden brown, puffed, and set on outer edges. Approx. 40-45 minutes.

While cake is baking, prepare TOPPING by mixing ingredients in medium bowl with a wooden spoon. Spread topping carefully over cooked cake, bake 5 minutes to set. Cool on rack, then refridgerate 6-8 hours, or overnight.

Sprinkle a little crumb crust mixture over top or serve with quality, lightly sweetened raspberries, strawberries, or cherries.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Great ideas for vegetarian dishes, maliafee. It's lent right now so I don't eat meat on Friday's and could use some veggie dish ideas. Thanks!

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
Understood! Some people have this issue, and I understand. Nobody likes something that makes 'em queasy. But traditionally, omelets should be moist inside but not un/undercooked. I like your innovative method to address this taste preference, instead of just giving up on lovely omelets. :D

It was sunny today, so I made the following.. sorta spanish style omelette for lunch in advance of my holiday in Spain.

Take two eggs and mix in a bowl with a little milk, salt and pepper.

Chop about a teaspoon of dried spanish style chorizo (the smoked, cooked style, not the mexican needs-to-be-cooked version).

Take some oakwood smoked cheddar, about a tablespoon and chop into little cubes.

Fry the chorizo in a pan for about two mins until it releases a little red oil, but before it burns.

Make the omelette around the chorizo, and when you fold it, dot it with the oakwood smoked cheese so that as the omelette finishes, the cheese melts.

Serve as a sandwich with home made honey bread (I know, I'm just showing off now ;) )

maliafee

Oh neat. I'm becoming a Catholic soon, too Hmm. I didn't know about this no-meat Friday thing. Interesting.

I'm giving you these two recipes below because they are two of my favorite all-time meatless dishes. The Yemista is my favorite Greek recipe, and the Mac & Cheese is all I asked for on my last birthday from my Mama (it tastes even better when SHE makes it) and is passed down from my mom's grandmother.

That said, vegetable stews, soups, and pot pies can be very delicious and satisfying. If you want something more homey like THAT, just ask.

YESMISTA - GREEK STUFFED TOMATOES AND PEPPERS

Yemista

5 ripe tomatoes (or 4 large)
5 medium green peppers (or 4 large)
dash of sugar for bottom of each tomato or pepper
3/4 cup olive oil
15 T rice (about 1 cup) - 1 1/2 T per tomato or pepper, to be stuffed
1 large onion, chopped fine
3 cloves garlic, minced very fine
1 shallot, minced fine
3 medium mushrooms, chopped well
1/4 cup fresh mint, minced OR 1 1/2 T dried, crumbled
1/2 cup fresh parsley, minced
1/2 cup slivered almonds
1/3 cup italian style breadcrumbs
1/2 cup hard cheese such as: mizithra, kefalograviera, or parmesan, cut into cubes
1/4 cup goat cheese (not feta), crumbled
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon ground pepper
1 1/2 cups broth, or water
1/2 cup olive oil
1 tablespoon tomato paste
4 medium potatoes, cut into wedges
salt & pepper, to taste
olive oil
block feta cheese, cut into slices

Remove tops of tomatoes (retain tops) and carefully scoop out flesh (retain flesh of 2-3 tomatoes as well).

Cut off tops of peppers (retain tops) and remove seeds and membrane.

Place tomatoes and peppers in a greased pan, large enough to hold them comfortably, and give each vegetable a tiny dash of sugar with your fingertips.

Process tomato flesh until pureed. Add 3/4 cup olive oil, rice, onion, shallot, garlic, mushrooms, mint, parsley, nuts, breadcrumbs, cheeses, salt, and pepper.

Stuff the vegetables evenly with this mixture and replace tops of tomatoes and peppers.

Toss potato slices in olive oil and salt and pepper. "Plant" in amongst the other vegetables.

Combine 1 cup water and 1/2 cup olive oil with a scant tablespoon of tomato paste and a little salt and pepper and pour this around the vegetables and potatoes.

Bake in a preheated 375 F oven for about 1 hour 45 min. (Vegetables should pierce easily and be slightly blackened in parts).

Turn off oven and leave in for another hour to "mellow" before serving.

Serve warm, with slices of feta cheese and crusty bread.

HOMEMADE MACARONI & CHEESE

Ingredients:

I pkg. small elbow macaroni
4 cups sauce

Sauce:

4 cups milk (can be 2% or whole, or part half and half)
4 tablespoons cornstarch
8 tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper (to taste)
1/4 teaspoon dried mustard powder (this can be left out if you don't like it)
1 teaspoon dried thyme
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
2 egg yolks (separated from whites; save or discard whites)
1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese (you can also use mild)

Toppings:

Cheddar cheese, grated (to taste, but 1-2 cups is good)

*OPTIONAL: buttered breadcrumbs

Instructions:

Whisk egg yolks in small bowl and set aside.

Mix cornstarch into cold milk into cold (no heat) medium saucepan until smooth. Turn heat to medium, and add butter, salt, pepper, mustard powder and thyme, stirring constantly until sauce simmers, and then continue to cook for another minute. Whisk in Worcestershire sauce.

Turn off heat and beat a small amount of white sauce into egg yolks, until you have "tempered" them. The mixture should look like thick cream. Add yolk/sauce mixture back to saucepan and stir in with the rest of the sauce.

Cook, stirring for a minute or so, take off heat and add 1/4-1/2 cup cheese, until it looks as cheesy as you like.
Check sauce for taste and adjust seasonings to your preference.

Meanwhile cook your macaroni in boiling, salted water to al dente and drain.

In a buttered casserole dish, mix half the sauce with half the noodles. Top with half the grated cheese. Cover with remaining noodles and sauce, and the last of the grated cheese. (OPTIONAL: add buttered breadcrumbs sprinkled over the top for crispness)

Bake in a preheated 350 F oven on the center rack until it looks lightly browned (or as brown as you like it).

maliafee

This sounds just delicious.

It was sunny today, so I made the following.. sorta spanish style omelette for lunch in advance of my holiday in Spain.

Take two eggs and mix in a bowl with a little milk, salt and pepper.

Chop about a teaspoon of dried spanish style chorizo (the smoked, cooked style, not the mexican needs-to-be-cooked version).

Take some oakwood smoked cheddar, about a tablespoon and chop into little cubes.

Fry the chorizo in a pan for about two mins until it releases a little red oil, but before it burns.

Make the omelette around the chorizo, and when you fold it, dot it with the oakwood smoked cheese so that as the omelette finishes, the cheese melts.

Serve as a sandwich with home made honey bread (I know, I'm just showing off now ;) )

maliafee

This recipe is an old classic, and it's especially good in Spring and Summer. Yum!

SOUTHERN TOMATO PIE

Ingredients:

1 pie crust for a 9" pie
1/4 cup fresh basil, torn, OR 4 teaspoons dried basil
1 tablespoon "Italian seasoning" (a dried mixture of oregano, basil, thyme, sage, rosemary, and Italian parsley -- you can make your own)
1/2 large yellow or red onion, sliced paper thin.
1 tablespoon olive oil OR a mixture of olive oil and butter
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1 cup cheddar, grated (I like sharp)
1/4 cup parmesan or romano, grated
1 cup mayonnaise

Instructions:

Preheat oven to 425 F.

Bake pie crust for 5 minutes, remove from heat and cool on a wire wrack.
Reduce oven temperature to 350 F.

Meanwhile, slice onions. In a cast iron or nonstick skillet, heat olive oil on medium and saute onions until slightly browned and transparent, about 5 minutes. Slice tomatoes, removing some of the seeds/pulp if excessive. Tear basil and measure out your Italian seasonings.

Assembly:

Divide tomatoes, onions, basil and seasonings in half.

Layer as follows: tomato slices, then sauteed onions, then salt and pepper well. Add basil and Italian seasonings. Repeat.

Mix mayonnaise with grated cheese and evenly cover tomatoes and onions to form a top "crust".

Bake until cheese topping is bubbling, 25-30 minutes (or as long as it takes to brown the topping to your liking - ovens vary).

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
Looks like a good recipe! I'd sooo have to ruin it's vegetarian leanings with some layered prosciutto on the top.

maliafee

Looks like a good recipe! I'd sooo have to ruin it's vegetarian leanings with some layered prosciutto on the top.

Well, yes. I mean, if you can, you MUST.

;-)

The Yemista is also good with browned, ground meat like lamb or beef. Did I also mention the macaroni and cheese would be a perfect accompaniment to my pulled pork, homemade bbq sauce, soft homebaked onion rolls, and cole slaw? Just sayin'...

:D

Owl

desert pelican
MBTI Type
INTP
Hi,

I'm going to be preparing lamb something-or-other in the near future. Do you have any suggestions?

Qre:us

This is a bit (lot) embarrasing....

...but, can you give some culinary advice (including therapeutic motivation :tongue:) for someone who can't cook (AT ALL!)?

My limitations:
- I don't like the stove, nor do I use it, unless it's the last choice (I also don't like oil as it spits out of the pan, as that scares me)
- I don't really do oven either as there's a time factor and I lose patience and the food inevitably burns (yes, including a beeping timer, because I'm either listening to music, or, when I get inspired to cook, I'm at the brink of hunger, and I can't WAIT for that kind of cooking{time})
- because I don't enjoy cooking, at ALL
- I don't do/like grocery shopping, esp. if the list has a variety
- I can't cook meat, and if I've seen meat pre-cooked, and prepare it, I won't be able to eat it after, and I have an aversion to cleaning meat

My slight ray of hope:
- I am familiar with the microwave

With all these challenges ahead of me, what's a dish you can suggest for an invalid like me, that is not only quick AND easy to make but requires limited ingredients and is healthy/tasty? (and nothing requiring too weird ingredients, nor too sophisticated culinary utensils. I don't do well shopping for vegetables and such - I have bought zucchini when my mom needed cucumbers, and I'm hopeless about the difference between lemon, lime, etc)

I have noticed that I spend a lot of $$ buying lunch every day because I would rather not make lunch, and I'm a picky eater in that I can't eat the same thing in a row...unless it tastes out-of-this-world awsome. And I don't like grocery shopping.

Is there hope for me? [OH! eggs, I can do...just not omlette, my eggs are scrambled eggs aspiring to be omlettes...one day]

Any recipes that could finally infuse an appreciation of cooking for me? (cuz I do love to eat)

I would be forever grateful to you, as others have tried, and none had made a difference to my apathy to cooking (i believe it lies in the recipe/dish, to get me motivated enough to try my hand at it)

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
My limitations:
- I don't like the stove, nor do I use it, unless it's the last choice (I also don't like oil as it spits out of the pan, as that scares me)
- I don't really do oven either as there's a time factor and I lose patience and the food inevitably burns (yes, including a beeping timer, because I'm either listening to music, or, when I get inspired to cook, I'm at the brink of hunger, and I can't WAIT for that kind of cooking{time})
- because I don't enjoy cooking, at ALL
- I don't do/like grocery shopping, esp. if the list has a variety
- I can't cook meat, and if I've seen meat pre-cooked, and prepare it, I won't be able to eat it after, and I have an aversion to cleaning meat

My slight ray of hope:
- I am familiar with the microwave

Is there hope for me?

Frozen%20Dinners.jpg

Best thing you could do is ditch the microwave so you have to use your stove/oven, after a while you'd realise how much better it makes food taste.