• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Ask Malia: Cooking advice

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
I'm a keen/able chef, who often has mexican dishes I'd like to make that call for tomatillos. These are not available in the UK, is there an acceptable substitute?

maliafee

Navajo Stew - TASTY

Hey Malia! Great thread idea!!

I've been given the assignment of a vegetarian dish for the next potluck with my friends. The theme for the night is Old Western Films, but someone already snagged the obvious spaghetti option. Do you have any ideas for a really tasty southwestern vegetarian addition? I'm pretty comfortable using Tofu, but exploring some legumes would be interesting to try.

:D Thanks!

My very favorite southwestern vegetarian dish is called Navajo Stew. My INTJ brother gave it to me and I kind of adjusted it to my liking. This is one of the tastiest things I have ever eaten. No kidding. Here you go:

NAVAJO STEW
=========

1 large onion, chopped
1 red bell pepper, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced

1 large sweet potato, peeled and chopped
1 large can tomatoes, and their juices, fire roasted if possible
1 medium can black beans, and bean liquid (if you don't like bean liquid, add a little more veggie broth and discard bean liquid)
2 cups vegetable broth

1-2 cups cooked brown rice (cook according to package instructions)
[this is served added in with the end product, so make the amount that pleases you. Add olive oil, salt, pepper, chopped chives, cilantro, and/or chili peppers, to taste, for extra flavor to the rice while you cook it, but it isn't necessary]

2 tablespoons ancho chiles in chipotle sauce, minced<--important to the flavor of the stew, so try to find it if at all possible
2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
1/2-1 teaspoon cayenne (depending on your preference. Omit if averse to spicy food.)
1 teaspoon dried oregano OR 1 tablespoon fresh, chopped oregano
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon salt (or more, to taste)
dash red pepper flakes

olive oil for sauteing

DIRECTIONS:
Heat olive oil in bottom of medium soup kettle with a lid until ready for sauteing. Add onions, bell pepper, and saute until transparent. Add garlic just at the end and saute for about 30 seconds. ***At this point you may stir in (to lightly toast) salt, pepper, and cayenne if you wish, or you can add it at the end with the rest of the other seasonings.***

Add sweet potato, tomatoes and their juices, beans and liquid, and vegetable broth.

Add all seasonings and stir well.

Bring stew to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes, stirring as needed. Cover, and turn heat to low. Cook for 45 minutes.

Remove lid and adjust for seasoning. Stir in brown rice and serve with desired garnishes.

RECOMMENDED GARNISHES:
sliced, ripe avocado
shredded cheese (a mild Mexican white cheese or cheddar is great)
sour cream (you can use a vegan sour cream here -- though I find most vegan sour creams taste kind of off, they taste good added to spicy or savory things)
chopped chives
sliced jalapenos
cilantro
warm tortillas (vegetarian)

TORTILLAS

The best soft taco tortillas (or tortillas for tearing and dipping into Navajo Stew) in the whole entire world are made by a family in Woodland, CA. They sell them at the Sacramento co-op and the Davis co-op, among other places. When I moved away from Sacramento for a while, I used to order them by mail. They are incredibly good: thick, chewy, tender, crisp on the outside when you cook on a cast iron griddle or over a barbecue, and full of flavor. Moreover, they're vegan.

Here is their contact info:
Micaela's California Fresh
2081 Freeway Dr
Woodland, CA 95776
(530) 662-0512

If you live in California, the cost of shipping and buying them wholesale (I order about 10-20 packs of 12 tortillas at a time and freeze them for later use) ends up being about the same cost as buying them at the store.

maliafee

I'm a keen/able chef, who often has mexican dishes I'd like to make that call for tomatillos. These are not available in the UK, is there an acceptable substitute?

The best thing I can recommend is to substitute green tomatoes in an equal amount by weight/measure and then add lime or lemon juice, to taste. I wish there were a better solution, but that's what I would do if I couldn't get them. Of course, I'd also probably build a mini green house and grow them myself. ;-)

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
The best thing I can recommend is to substitute green tomatoes in an equal amount by weight/measure and then add lime or lemon juice, to taste. I wish there were a better solution, but that's what I would do if I couldn't get them. Of course, I'd also probably build a mini green house and grow them myself. ;-)

Tried both of those things.. wasn't keen on the green tomato + lime (and I understand tomatillo might look like a green tomato, but doesn't taste much like it?). Tomatillo's don't grow well in a british greenhouse.. not sure why!

maliafee

Tried both of those things.. wasn't keen on the green tomato + lime (and I understand tomatillo might look like a green tomato, but doesn't taste much like it?). Tomatillo's don't grow well in a british greenhouse.. not sure why!

Yes, sorry, I know they aren't the same. The flavor is rather tricky. Very tart. I read that you can get fresh tomatillos in Brixton and also that you might be able to find the canned ones online for delivery. Any luck with that?

maliafee

I need some healthy "just my four year old and I are home during the day" lunches.

No worries. What kinds of food do you like? What ethnic genre is your favorite? What kinds of food does the four year old hate? Are there foods that you both love that you want to be made healthier? :) I'd like to know a bit more about what you like so I can craft some recipes that will be easy and tasty for you personally.

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
Do you do much indian cookery? I'm a big fan of toasting my own spices and grinding them for a fresh balti or bhuna.

maliafee

Awesome, thanks! I'd love to see the fish casserole recipe too :D

I found this online a while back and adjusted it. DELICIOUS!

Mediterranean Fish Casserole
==================

Ingredients
1 1/2 lbs. fish fillets (choose flat fillets) (sole is a good option)
juice of 1/2 a lemon
1/2 teaspoon salt
freshly ground black pepper, to taste
4 ounces cream cheese (optional, herbed cream cheese - YUM)
1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano OR 1 teaspoon dried oregano
8 oz. mushrooms, chopped roughly (get any kind you like, but crimini taste better than button and portabella taste better than crimini, in my opinion)
15 oz. canned tomatoes, drained and chopped
1 tablespoon Italian parsley (flat leaf), chopped
1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped OR 1 teaspoon dried basil

PROVENCAL TOPPING
3 tablespoons Italian parsley (flat leaf), chopped
6 basil leaves, cut in fine strips
5 tablespoons dry breadcrumbs (Italian-seasoned Panko is the best)
5 tablespoons grated fresh parmesan cheese or a romano-parm mix
2 tablespoons olive oil or butter (I like 1 tablespoon oil + 1 tablespoon butter)
3 garlic cloves, finely minced

DIRECTIONS

Fish:

If your fish fillets are large, you need to cut them in half (vertically). They should be easy to be rolled.

Drizzle lemon juice over the fish. Season with salt and pepper. Spread the cream cheese onto the outer shiny side of fish.

Roll up fillets. Season with salt and pepper.

Vegetables:

Into a greased 9x13 casserole dish add chopped mushrooms.

Place tomatoes on top of mushrooms.

Add 1 tbsp of parsley and 1 tbsp of basil to the tomatoes and mushrooms.

Place rolled fish on top of tomatoes and mushrooms.

Provencal Topping:

Mix all ingredients except oil/butter.

Cover the fish with Provencal topping.

Drizzle with oil or sprinkle with butter flakes.

Bake for 20 minutes in a preheated 425 F oven.

OPTIONAL:
Serve with buttered boiled potatoes sprinkled with chives.

maliafee

Do you do much indian cookery? I'm a big fan of toasting my own spices and grinding them for a fresh balti or bhuna.

I'm lucky to live near a co-op that sells all the best Indian-related spices whole so I can do just that! Homemade curries are unbeatable, don't you think? :)

Indian food is hard to beat! I'm sure there is plenty I have yet to make, but I have a lot of favorites. My best is Rogan Josh.

Any recipes you care to share?

maliafee

Rangler

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
3w8
I was looking for some ideas for curry marinades for tofu.

iwakar

crush the fences
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
What sort of seasoning and preparation best compliments soylent green?

maliafee

I found this online and it's my standard.

Felafels:

1 cup dried chickpeas or 16 oz. can of chickpeas or garbanzo beans.
1 large onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped fine
3 tablespoons of fresh parsley, chopped
1 teaspoon coriander
1 teaspoon cumin
2 tablespoons flour
Salt
Pepper
Oil for frying

Preparation:

Place dried chickpeas in a bowl, covering with cold water. Allow to soak overnight. Omit this step if using canned beans.

Drain chickpeas, and place in pan with fresh water, and bring to a boil.

Allow to boil for 5 minutes, then let simmer on low for about an hour.

Drain and allow to cool for 15 minutes.

Combine chickpeas, garlic, onion, coriander, cumin, salt and pepper (to taste) in medium bowl. Add flour.

Mash chickpeas, ensuring to mix ingredients together. You can also combine ingredients in a food processor. You want the result to be a thick paste.

Form the mixture into small balls, about the size of a ping pong ball. Slightly flatten.

Fry in 2 inches of oil at 350 degrees until golden brown (5-7 minutes).

Serve hot.

Serving Suggestion
Falafel can be served as an appetizer with hummus and tahini, or as a main course. Stuff pita bread with falafel, lettuce, tomatoes, tahini, salt and pepper. As an alternative, falafel can be formed into patties and served like a burger.

Serves 4.

spirilis

Senior Membrane
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
ooooo falafels! wow I might need to try that :D