• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Ask Malia: Cooking advice

O

Oberon

Okay!

Malia... how come my three-egg omelets turn out scorched on the outside and runny on the inside, no matter how low I turn the (gas) stove? What's the secret to a perfectly cooked omelet?

maliafee

Okay!

Malia... how come my three-egg omelets turn out scorched on the outside and runny on the inside, no matter how low I turn the (gas) stove? What's the secret to a perfectly cooked omelet?

Well sure.

I'm surprised to hear that they're ALWAYS scorched, even when the stove is turned super low, which leads me to guess you have a pan whose bottom has a "hot spot" -- a place where it's somehow thinner than the rest of the pan.

What kind of pan have you been using?

1. Tools

---A. Use a good, well-seasoned, heavy-bottomed cast iron pan (8"-10"). (If you need to know how to season a cast iron, just ask.)

---B. Can't get a hold of a cast iron pan? Use a good quality nonstick. Aluminum skillets are nice for sauteing but for omelets they're for the birds!

---C. You'll also need a spoon, or rubber spatula that you don't care about melting :D, and either a whisk or fork to beat/whip the eggs. Don't forget your metal pancake turner (spatula) for folding the omelet near the end.

2. Ingredients for a simple cheese omelet (we can add ingredients after we get this basic guy down, if you want something more complex. :D)

3 fresh eggs, room temperature
2 tablespoons water
1/4 cup grated cheddar or swiss, or other favorite melting cheese (I like to add a little goat cheese, too!)
1-2 tablespoons of chopped scallions
salt and pepper, to taste

3. Directions for preparation

---A. Beat/whip eggs with water in a small bowl until frothy and uniformly yellow (use a whisk or fork).

---B. Grate cheese, chop scallions, set aside near stove. (You want your filling ready and on hand to add to your omelet when the time is right, not to mention your salt and pepper.)

---C. Meanwhile, heat skillet over low heat (If it is a cast iron pan, go ahead and grease with a nonstick spray like Pam. Add a pat of butter for flavor, if you like.).

---D. When skillet is hot (but not smoking, NEVER smoking!), pour your eggs into the pan. With your spoon or rubber spatula, draw egg from the outside into the center, then turn the pan a bit to allow the egg liquid to cover the now naked spot. Do this all around the pan, building up a nice texture for your omelet, always letting egg liquid cover bare spots.

---E. When your eggs are almost cooked, but still a little undone on top, add salt and pepper to taste, your cheese, and top with the scallions, spreading them in a line in the center of your omelet.

---F. With your metal spatula, check the edges of your omelet and make sure it is not sticking to the pan (if it is sticking, gently loosen the bottom with the spatula). Then take your spatula and fold your omelet in half. At this point, you need only cook another minute or two and it is ready. Optionally, cover your omelet with a pan lid for the last minute and a half or so to really get your cheese melted.

---G. Slide your omelet onto a plate, unless it is sticking to the pan (it shouldn't stick too much at all), in which case use your spatula to help gently slide it onto the plate.

O

Oberon

---D. When skillet is hot (but not smoking, NEVER smoking!), pour your eggs into the pan. With your spoon or rubber spatula, draw egg from the outside into the center, then turn the pan a bit to allow the egg liquid to cover the now naked spot. Do this all around the pan, building up a nice texture for your omelet, always letting egg liquid cover bare spots.

Aha! This is what I've been doing wrong.

I just cook them like a pancake, albeit with the lid on... pour and fry. I need to circulate the egg mixture so that it all comes in contact with the pan surface.

(and my pan is seasoned cast iron, by the way. I'm not crazy.)

maliafee

Well it sounds like you've got it mostly (and now ALL) covered!

Yeah, that's the secret. Plus the texture is really pleasing if you do it that way, and that's what gives it the nice golden brown marbling on the outside.

Have fun...

P.S. Not crazy? Your avatar would suggest otherwise. Kidding, except that it's scary to me and now I'm gonna have nightmares! Big time! ;-)

O

Oberon

Fear not the avatar, malia. Normally I'm just a fuzzy brown mouse. You only see me this way during Gauntlet season... it's my "game face." :D

Second cooking question: Have you ever done anything with Swiss Chard? We've planted some this year, and I'd like to do something more imaginitive with it than the old boiled-greens thing. Any ideas?

Swiss_Chard.jpg

Biaxident

Charting a course
MBTI Type
INFP
Aha! This is what I've been doing wrong.

I just cook them like a pancake, albeit with the lid on... pour and fry. I need to circulate the egg mixture so that it all comes in contact with the pan surface.

(and my pan is seasoned cast iron, by the way. I'm not crazy.)

I don't use a spatula. I roll the pan over the burner. And continue to do it until the loose egg is gone. Then by the time I get all the tasty stuff in, it's time to plate it.

maliafee

Here's the deal: the fresher the better. Use the day you pick it! It's fantastic you are growing some. YUM!

Swiss chard is used in lots of Sicilian cooking. Here are two good stand-bys:

Basic Swiss Chard

1 large bunch of fresh Swiss chard
1 small clove garlic, sliced
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons water
Pinch of dried crushed red pepper
1 teaspoon butter
salt

Rinse out the Swiss chard leaves thoroughly. Remove the toughest third of the stalk, discard or save for another recipe (like the below Swiss chard ribs with cream and pasta). Roughly chop the leaves into inch-wide strips.

Heat a saucepan on a medium heat setting, add olive oil, a few small slices of garlic and the crushed red pepper. Sauté for about a minute. Add the chopped Swiss chard leaves. Cover. Check after about 5 minutes. If it looks dry, add a couple tablespoons of water. Flip the leaves over in the pan, so that what was on the bottom, is now on the top. Cover again. Check for doneness after another 5 minutes (remove a piece and taste it). Add salt to taste, and a small amount of butter. Remove the swiss chard to a serving dish.
---

Sauteed Swiss Chard Ribs with Cream and Pasta Recipe

1 lb. swiss chard, yielding 2 cups of chopped ribs
1/4 cup (half a stick) butter
3/4-1 cup heavy cream
Enough dry pasta to make about one quart of cooked pasta (use rice pasta if gluten-free is required)
Salt and pepper

Separate the ribs from the greens in the manner described here. Cut the ribs into 1/2-inch to 1-inch pieces. Blanch the ribs in lightly salted boiling water for 3 minutes.

Melt butter in a saucepan on medium heat. Add the drained, blanched ribs and simmer for 4 minutes. Add heavy cream and cook until cream reduces by two-thirds.

While the cream is reducing, cook up your pasta according to the pasta's package directions.

Mix creamed chard with pasta. Season lightly with salt and freshly ground pepper.

Serves 4.

MBTI Type
INTJ
When I make an omelette, I flip it and then turn the heat off and let the residual heat firm up the bottom while I add my fillings to the top. I hate how the inside stays runny.

maliafee

It shouldn't be runny if you make it right. :) But that method sounds good as long as it's not too dry.

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
Hey, malia--I once had some incredible soup at an Italian place in Houston. It was Sweet Potato with Chorizo. Have you heard of such a soup, or run across a recipe?