User Tag List

Thread: moving

MBTI
    yupp

Default moving

so I have three possibly four options

1.)hire movers, but alot of them seem pricey and I don't know if I can trust them. So any reccomendations would be great

2.)Find someone with a truck or van that can also help me move furniture

3.)rent a uhaul ask people I know to help move my s pay them like 20$ an hour to help move my furniture

4.)wait until my mom comes up and move then (but she doesn't know when she's coming up and it might not be until after this lease is up).

5.)"accidently" catch it on fire and buy new stuff (though I'll still have to get it into my new place and don't think I can afford to replace, bar stools, a desk, a bed, some shelves, and a tv stand. )

I have no clue what I'm doing.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    ENTJ

Get recs from people you know and hire movers. It is such an enormous pain in the ass to move yourself. I feel a slight rage coming on just thinking about it.
    "Only an irrational dumbass, would burn Jews." - Jaguar

"please give concise answers in plain English" - request from Provoker

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

How far are you moving? How much stuff are you moving (how many bed rooms)?

Try looking for movers on Craigslist.

With the exception of furniture, house plants, and pets box everything two or one week(s) in advanced. You can get boxes for free at grocery stores and other business that get a lot of shipments. Just ask. Pack heavy things in small boxes and lighter things in bigger boxes. Pack boxes into the truck first and create a wall in the very back, then load furniture. Also when you get moved save your boxes, if not damaged, until the next time you have to move.

Quote Originally Posted by Kangirl View Post
    It is such an enormous pain in the ass to move yourself. I feel a slight rage coming on just thinking about it.
    Moving yourself is painful but is much easier with one or two other people to help. In my experience with two people it takes a full day to pack a three-four bedroom house into the largest size Uhaul. But it is still a lot of hard work. You will be sweaty and nasty by the end of the day.

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    3.)rent a uhaul ask people I know to help move my s pay them like 20$ an hour to help move my furniture
    Get your friends to help you. They will make the best cheap labour. $20 a hour? Psh. Try to not go higher than $10 a hour.
    Is not to be held accuntable for peeling errors.

MBTI
    infp

I've moved so many times I think I can safely say that using a moving firm this last time was the best and easiest thing I ever did.

They came round a few weeks before with plenty of boxes, I also hired some packing crates for my valuables.

They were slightly early on the day, but all in all was one of the most stress free moves I have ever had.

Done the friends (and they did it for free since that's what friends are for) but we got more drunk than useful so that didn't go to well. Hired a van but got let down by some people so I lost half of my goods.

Anyway my recommendation goes to the professionals, worth the money.
    Echo - "So are you trying to say she is Evil"

DeWitt - "Something far worse, she's an Idealist"

Berb's Johari Berb's Nohari

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by Shaula View Post
    How far are you moving? How much stuff are you moving (how many bed rooms)?

Try looking for movers on Craigslist.

With the exception of furniture, house plants, and pets box everything two or one week(s) in advanced. You can get boxes for free at grocery stores and other business that get a lot of shipments. Just ask. Pack heavy things in small boxes and lighter things in bigger boxes. Pack boxes into the truck first and create a wall in the very back, then load furniture. Also when you get moved save your boxes, if not damaged, until the next time you have to move.

Moving yourself is painful but is much easier with one or two other people to help. In my experience with two people it takes a full day to pack a three-four bedroom house into the largest size Uhaul. But it is still a lot of hard work. You will be sweaty and nasty by the end of the day.

Get your friends to help you. They will make the best cheap labour. $20 a hour? Psh. Try to not go higher than $10 a hour.
    I'm moving 6 blocks just to a new building.Plus I only need help moving furniture I already know my current room mates and I'm subletting so I'm able to take smaller things over myself. I have a bed, a desk, a tv stand, a tv(is actually very light so I may be able to take that over myself), some shelves and a floor lamp (But i think I can take that apart)
    Quote Originally Posted by BerberElla View Post
    I've moved so many times I think I can safely say that using a moving firm this last time was the best and easiest thing I ever did.

They came round a few weeks before with plenty of boxes, I also hired some packing crates for my valuables.

They were slightly early on the day, but all in all was one of the most stress free moves I have ever had.

Done the friends (and they did it for free since that's what friends are for) but we got more drunk than useful so that didn't go to well. Hired a van but got let down by some people so I lost half of my goods.

Anyway my recommendation goes to the professionals, worth the money.
    I don't know which of the professionals I can trust, so many horror stories.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

this is what I do when I move:
    1. Rent U-Haul (or other) truck:
    It is a good idea to make this reservation at least 15-30 days before you move as the availability of trucks is significantly less when you try calling them an hour ahead of time. I have done the reservations online twice for U-Haul with no real problems. They will call you to confirm the reservation and tell you if the time you are trying to reserve is actually available.

Penske and Budget are alternative truck rental companies that may be available in your area. I would probably only try placing a reservation online or going there in person to get a reservation. I've waited as long as 45mins on the phone for U-Haul (ick).

2. Get 3-4 friends to help you out. Pay them in pizza/beer/whatever at the end of it.

3. Moving is stressful. Don't be surprised if something breaks.

4. Leave enough time at the end for cleaning up your previous apartment to get the deposit (if applicable).

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by file cabinet View Post
    this is what I do when I move:
    1. Rent U-Haul (or other) truck:
    It is a good idea to make this reservation at least 15-30 days before you move as the availability of trucks is significantly less when you try calling them an hour ahead of time. I have done the reservations online twice for U-Haul with no real problems. They will call you to confirm the reservation and tell you if the time you are trying to reserve is actually available.

Penske and Budget are alternative truck rental companies that may be available in your area. I would probably only try placing a reservation online or going there in person to get a reservation. I've waited as long as 45mins on the phone for U-Haul (ick).

2. Get 3-4 friends to help you out. Pay them in pizza/beer/whatever at the end of it.

3. Moving is stressful. Don't be surprised if something breaks.

4. Leave enough time at the end for cleaning up your previous apartment to get the deposit (if applicable).

+1!