User Tag List

123 Last

Thread: Tomatoes

MBTI
    ENTJ

Default Tomatoes

I'd like to grow some tomatoes on my front balcony this year. Any tips re: container and soil mix that would be best? I know they like sunlight and it is a very sunny spot.

Best/tastiest variety?

I live in Montreal, Canada, and am not familiar with planting schedules here - any tips on that would be helpful, too.

- A Wannabe Urban Gardener
    "Only an irrational dumbass, would burn Jews." - Jaguar

"please give concise answers in plain English" - request from Provoker

Default I made a stand with a bowl, so that the tomato plant can grow down.

They haven't sprouted yet, but they should soon enough.

MBTI
    ENTJ

Grow down??

I actually really am asking about real tomatoes, btw. I live in Canada and would not be in trouble just asking for hydroponic marijuana grow op advice. If that's what you're referring to... I'm confused.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

...ortnalic worg annaw I
    Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    ENTJ

That should be fairly easy, no? Just a small little herb container on a windowsill?

Oberon

Dunno 'bout what you like, but this year I got on e-Bay and ordered seeds for a half-dozen different varieties of hot pepper and a thing called "Pink Oxheart" tomato. It's an heirloom breed popular in Russia, indeterminate, and noted for its large, fleshy fruits. Some Pink Oxheart tomatoes weigh as much as a kilo. Being as it's grown in Russia, it'll probably do fine in Canada too.

I advise you to start seeds inside under lights about now, if you haven't yet, so you'll have plants ready to put out on the balcony in a month or six weeks (or whenever the danger of overnight frost is past). Otherwise if you prefer you can just buy plants at the local hardware store (but you probably won't find Pink Oxhearts there). Tomatoes will do fine in ordinary potting soil, and will thrive on soluble plant food fertilizers like Miracle-Gro. Just follow the directions on the package.

MBTI
    ENTJ

Thank you, Oberon, that's exactly the info I was looking for. I am now going to seek out some seeds of the above-mentioned variety.

Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Well, the sweetest Russian variety of tomatoes is called the "Crimean black Tomato". Oxhearts are fine, grow easier, produce more fruits (and sooner), but aren't as tasty.

Plus, since Oxhearts are really huge, I do not think it is a good idea to grow it on a balcony, since the weight of the fruit can sometimes be too much for the plant's stems. Garden stakes are a requisite.

It requires lot of sun, but fears desiccation. It means your plants shouldn't face dominant winds, or be grown too high if you're living in a high-storey building. A large container will allow your plants to retain more moisture and water.

---

Russian tomatoes were selected to grow faster than normal tomatoes, but they give their fruits later in the season. They were planted in soil only when the locals were sure that the heat was there once again, and this could mean as late as the end of May (for the Siberian varieties).
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

Default Drugs - wtf? - Gravity helps tomato plants send nutrients down the vine.

I'm talking about using hanging planters. My planter is on a weighted stand, so the plant can grow down.

In our garden we use Ace Tomatoes as our primary variety because they are hearty, big, taste good, and are fleshy, not super watery. We use them for tomato sauce and salsa and they are awesome in sandwiches/salads. I still remove the seeds because I don't like seeds much, but they're not horribly seedy or anything. A great basic tomato. The green ones you can store and ripen slowly in a box on newspapers and have tomatoes even into the winter. YUM!

This is a good site for tomato-growing tips:

Tips for Growing Tomatoes.

Good luck, and have fun!