• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Tomatoes

Seraph

MBTI Type
INTJ
*$^^@##!

Today, 6 out of 10 of my little tomato plants has been pulled to pieces. Not eaten, just trashed.

There have been starlings browsing in the garden. I think they do it just out of curiosity. "Here's something new... let's peck it!"

Darned birds. :steam:

I understand your frustration. My tomato plants have all become tasty nighttime snacks for the local deer. They have helped themselves to the tomatoes and just chew off the entire stalk. :ranting:

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Try this, I saw it on TV:

https://www.topsyturvy.com/?cid=631254

$20 for 2 plants and 2 rigs = NICE! :nice:

I wouldn't start anything from seeds, that takes FOREVER. Buying the little plants at a nursery or large hardware store is usually what I do.

O

Oberon

I'm in North Carolina right on the I-95 corridor. I have some big, fairly vigorous tomato plants in my garden in which the tops are starting to yellow. The veins in the leaves remain green at first while the rest of the leaf turns yellow; then finally the whole leaf goes. So far only about the top third of the plant is infected. The two worst plants for this are some cherry tomatoes, but some of my slicing tomato vines are starting to exhibit the same signs.

It has been a little dry over the past weeks, but we've had some rain over the past few days and I've been watering, so water stress should not be a problem. There are no insect pests that I've noticed, although it's likely that there's an aphid or two in the mix somewhere. Over the course of the summer I've fertilized my 25x25-foot plot with ten pounds of commercial 10-10-10, watered in.

What do you suppose is causing the problem?

Alwar

The Architect
MBTI Type
INTP
Past few weeks have been rather cold with little sunlight in the midwest. Looks like it may be a bad year for gardens. Tomatoes are fully grown but not turning red.

Kingfisher

full of love
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Oberon - sometimes overwatering causes tomato plants to turn yellow.
they might also need plant food, or i guess more specifically, nitrogen. lack of nitrogen in the soil causes them to yellow, also.
or it could be a disease, i don't know.

O

Oberon

Turns out it's most likely an infection of tobacco mosaic, a virus endemic to nightshades.