• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Can a new species emerge?

deleted
Can a new species emerge in today's age, not (a) showing itself for the first time, but (b) coming into existence for the first time, branching off an older species, and how long would it take?

I'm asking this out of fear. My cat and dog have been getting awfully close.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Unlikely. Their spawn would be sterile if at all viable. Just let them have fun.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
lemons said:

:smile:

In the interest of answering this question seriously....

I think in a short time frame - i.e. years or decades - the notion of a Species, and what constitutes it, can be hazy indeed.

One of my interests is birding - and taxonomists seem to go back and forth between creating more subspecies, and then eventually splitting subspecies off into brand new species, vs. those on the other side of the fence lumping subspecies together into one. I think this is just what happens on such a small time scale. Fuzziness. And, disagreement on the very definition/notion of what a species is. But it's interesting to consider that subspecies could be the start of a branch of what would eventually become a new species --- after a long period of time.

I mean, even on a large time scale, evolution can be kind of fuzzy -- just a constant progression. I think it's when you have geographic isolation that it can be more obvious.

New species emerging in our lifespan? Would have to be a lifeform with a really, really short lifespan - minutes, maybe. Bacterium, insects, or the like.

Poser

Fe, rusted.
MBTI Type
INTP
I think that this would be a good time to reinforce my commitment to rid the world of Manbearpig.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think that this would be a good time to reinforce my commitment to rid the world of Manbearpig.

Manbearpig is indeed a threat to the stability of our society.

O

Oberon

One useful metric in the defining of a species is cross-fertility. If two individual animals cannot produce offspring due to genetic incompatibility, then it's safe to say that they are not the same species. If they can produce offspring but the offspring are not fertile, the result is a "mule," and again the parents are not the same species. However, if the two animals can breed and produce fertile offspring, they are the same species.

Taxonomists may quibble over this definition and they're welcome to, for taxonomic definitions of speciation serve their own purposes and don't really apply to this particular question.

I would say then, that if you can successfully breed two healthy individual animals from a common ancestor and the two individual animals are not cross-fertile, but they are both fertile with other genetically compatible individuals, it's safe to say that you have observed the emergence of a new species.

Has this been observed experimentally? Not to my knowledge.

Could it be? Hard to say. It deserves investigation.

O

Oberon

Can a Chihuahua and a St Bernard make puppies?

Yes. You can artificially inseminate a St. Bernard female with Chihuahua sperm and get puppies.

The proposition wasn't one of taxonomic differences, but of genetic compatibility. Which you already knew.

JAVO

MBTI Type
eNTP

Do not fear. Dogs often attempt to produce offspring with everything, including lampposts, couches, and hot water tanks. Put away your Darwin books, and go get a pot of cold water instead. :D

deleted
Do not fear. Dogs often attempt to produce offspring with everything, including lampposts, couches, and hot water tanks. Put away your Darwin books, and go get a pot of cold water instead. :D

I tried that. I think it just made their nipples harder, which you know...

Blackmail!

Gotta catch you all!
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Has this been observed experimentally? Not to my knowledge.

Yes it has.

With fruit flies (Drosophila pseudoobscura). Under extreme environmental pressure (simulated within a laboratory), the interfertility between the surviving population and the main specie severely decreases only after a dozen generations (see Diane Dodd experiment for instance).

So the speciation process can be very fast if needed.

O

Oberon

Yes it has.

With fruit flies (Drosophila pseudoobscura). Under extreme environmental pressure (simulated within a laboratory), the fertility between the surviving population and the the main specie severely decreases only after a dozen generations (see Diane Dodd experiment for instance).

Really?

I hadn't heard of this. The new bugs must not have been fruit flies.

What did they name the new species, now that it was no longer Drosophila pseudoobscura?

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
You watch a movie and you stop when you find something interesting.
Is there a stop in the movie?