User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Default So I Got a 55 Gallon Tank Today...

What kind of fish should I put in it?
    Is not to be held accuntable for peeling errors.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE

Fried ones with tomatoes, rice, vegetables and sauce.

Mightier than the tread of marching armies is the power of an idea whose time has come

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Mnn.... too bad I already had dinner.

Charting a course
    MBTI
    INFP

Fresh or salt water?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Whatever it is...fishless cycle it first! It'll make putting fish in it and having them live that much easier. (See now you've awakened my inner fish enthusiast.)
    It takes about a month, but when you're done, you'll be able to add all your fish at once.

Fishless Cycling

I say this, not knowing anything about how much you know about fish keeping and with the interest of your future fish in mind.

Anyway, if you're going freshwater...

Cichlids are usually cool fish to try. They can be very aggressive amongst different species, though, so a bit of research will be needed.

Or you could get a large school of some kind of tetras.

For bottom feeders you could get a group of kuhli loaches or corydoras catfish (they come in many varieties)...

Here's a good place to check out different species with commentaries from folks who have kept them. There's a forum, too, that will help you figure out how many of what once you've figured out which species you would like.

And then...to be truly evil...some freshwater aquascaping images, if you ever decided to go with live plants:

"I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference."

Robert Frost

Charting a course
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Kyrielle View Post
    Whatever it is...fishless cycle it first! It'll make putting fish in it and having them live that much easier. (See now you've awakened my inner fish enthusiast.)
    It takes about a month, but when you're done, you'll be able to add all your fish at once.
    What she said.

Schools of smaller tetra like Cardinal Tetra are always cool. Kuhli loaches are cool too. And they won't attack other fish like most cichlids.

It's always something... PuddleRiver's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    5w6

Gourami's are pretty cool, too. Just be careful who you put in the tank together. Pinks, blues, golds and greens can be pretty aggressive (especially golds and blues) I love the dwarves, but you can't put them in the tank with the others. I used to have a 30 gallon and 2 tens. I used one of the tens for a quarrantine tank when I brought them home from the store. Watch them for internal parasites and treat the tank accordingly. I had a lot of trouble with this from one particular store. Then leave them in the ten gallon for at least two weeks.

I miss having them but ran out of room. I envy you the 50 gallon, the bigger the tank the easier it is to take care of. Heck, it'll pretty much take care of itself.
    "In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay one invincible summer."
    ~~~~
    A Christian's life may be the only Bible some people ever read.
    ~~~~
    "The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them" Maya Angelou.
    ~~~~
    I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ" Gandhi
    ~~~~

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Freshwater. And don't worry I'm planning on fishless cycling. But thank you for the advisory anyway. For the time being I'm just contemplating on what I want to do. I'm a bit excited because this is the first time I've been able to afford such a size.

On a side note: Isn't it terrible that the hardest tanks to care for are marketed for children?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Shaula View Post
    Freshwater. And don't worry I'm planning on fishless cycling. But thank you for the advisory anyway. For the time being I'm just contemplating on what I want to do. I'm a bit excited because this is the first time I've been able to afford such a size.

On a side note: Isn't it terrible that the hardest tanks to care for are marketed for children?
    Yeah, it sucks. Everytime I go to Petsmart and see those parents picking up those super tiny tanks for their kids I can't help but think, "You'll be sorryyyy..." They just need to educate people very simply by explaining that: when fish are in small quarters, they are boring because they don't move much. It's like watching someone in a cubicle. Ever watch someone in a cubicle? It's boring.

Hmm, it looks like, if you were up to the challenge, you could try for a single, pair, or 4 discus along with a couple other small groups. I say challenge because they're so sensitive...to everything...but they are very pretty at least.

Hmm or you could start with looking at some biotopes and try replicating one.
    "I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference."

Robert Frost

Why do you want fish? What appeals to you?

I've had mostly community tanks, and had a cichlid tank for a few years (38 gallon). I'm currently taking a break from it all.

The most interesting fish I ever kept was the elephant nose (Gnathonemus petersii). They're an electric fish, but the charge isn't strong enough to be felt by humans. They use it to detect food. They like to jump out of the tank, and generally don't get along well with any other electric fish, including their own species.