MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w8

A single beta fish. lol.
    R[a]ngl[e]r

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by Shaula View Post
    Freshwater. And don't worry I'm planning on fishless cycling. But thank you for the advisory anyway. For the time being I'm just contemplating on what I want to do. I'm a bit excited because this is the first time I've been able to afford such a size.
    If I were you, I'd do something completely different. Go to the nearest bait shop and stock your tank with a dozen minnows. Maybe go to a local pond and catch three or four sunfish.

Yeah, they'll eat the minnows, but that's okay. If you've got some plants in the tank for cover, they won't eat them all at once. You can restock with minnows as needed, maybe drop in a crayfish or two for variety.

I think it would be fun to have a fish tank stocked with local indigenous species.

Sharks, ftw!

MBTI
    XXFP

When I read the thread title, the first thing I thought was "where would somebody get a 55 gallon oil drum anyway?"

Fish are cool though. I don't have a tank, but considered getting one. Maybe I should get around to it. It seems cool to have one ... living ecosystem in your home.

I really like the looks of that first one, neat and clean.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyrielle View Post

Don't know how much it'll bend til it breaks.

beyondaurora

I have a 55-gallon South American Cichlid tank which consists of:

Pacu
    Texas Cichlid
    Red Devil Cichlid
    (2) Leaf Fish
    A few minnows (feeder fish) that managed to escape the jaws of my cichlids and continue to spawn

Surprisingly, cichlids are hardy fish. I had goldfish when I first started fishkeeping - man, was that a mistake! Hardest fish to keep ever. The only thing I've had to worry about with the cichlids are diseased feeder fish (it's fun to watch them get mowed down, but it sucks dealing with a tankwide Ich infestation or bacterial infection - I lost my Jack Dempsey recently to this).

Here's some pics of my tank (just cleaned it today)...
    Attached Images Attached Images

MBTI
    INTJ

gasoline

MBTI
    INTP

How the heck do you keep plants alive in a fish tank? I've tried three times and the plants always die. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. Maybe I need to give them some artificial light?

Right now I have three red cloud danios and two cherry barb tetras in a ten gallon tank. I wish I had five of just one species, because they seem to be happier when there are more of one kind in there.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by rhinosaur View Post
    How the heck do you keep plants alive in a fish tank? I've tried three times and the plants always die. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. Maybe I need to give them some artificial light?

Right now I have three red cloud danios and two cherry barb tetras in a ten gallon tank. I wish I had five of just one species, because they seem to be happier when there are more of one kind in there.
    You need at a minimum some bad ass lights (metal halide or high pressure sodium) and a CO2 delivery system to keep lush green plants alive for very long. Most people forget that live plants only boost the O2 content of the water during the LIGHTED phase of the Krebs Cycle, so when the lights go off, (DARK phase of Krebs) the plants actually are consuming free O2 and making it less available to fishies...

They are a pain in the ass in my opinion, stick with the big fake plastic ones and save yourself a lot of heartache...and money!

I have a 55 gallon tank with 1 Green Terror, 1 Jack Dempsey, 1 Convict Cichlid, and 1 Manauganese Cichlid - all really freaking big!!!

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by rhinosaur View Post

It depends on the plants, really. But yeah as Halla said, if you want stuff to grow like crazy, you do need some nice lights, CO2, and probably some Eco-complete/laterite/flourite in the substrate. You can do a low-tech setup that has low light, though. Not as fun to take care of because low-light plants grow very sloooowly, whereas high-light plants in a high-tech setup will need trimming every week.

I only have the "nice lights" part of the deal...the plants are growing well, but so is all the freaking brown algae (at least it comes off very easily)...too many phosphates/silicates in the water I've been told...
    "I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference."

Robert Frost

beyondaurora

Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post
    They are a pain in the ass in my opinion, stick with the big fake plastic ones and save yourself a lot of heartache...and money!
    Exactly. I think my tank (see above) looks pretty good, and all the plants are fake. The floating fake plants are especially nice because they filter out some of the light and provide a hiding place for the minnows.