• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Pot Pies: Food of the Gods?

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Okay, this is going to make me sound like a yokel, but so be it: I fucking love pot pies. Not the frozen Stouffer's kind, though. Those blow. But a real, home made pot pie, with veggies and perhaps chicken and a gravy of... whatever that stuff is? Divine.

A friend of mine made a root vegetable pot pie for us last Fall when we visited for dinner. It was the best pot pie I have ever had. It had white potatoes, sweet potatoes, butternut squash, carrots, and onions, with a cheesy cream sauce. Later on I tried to recreate it but it just wasn't the same. (Probably because she used heavy cream and I used skim milk, but I just can't justify that for everyday cooking.)

Tomorrow I've decided to make a pot pie. I haven't had one since the winter. It's not really a summer food, but fuckit, I'm going to have a pot pie in August. Is that so wrong?! Can't do the root veggie one since there's no butternut squash yet, but it'll be good without that. I'll probably steam white potatoes, sweet potatoes, and carrots. I'll saute some onions in some buttah, and then mix in some milk and flour. I'll probably add some peas for color. I've got a kick-ass recipe for a sour cream based crust that is wonderful with savory pies, but this time I'm just using the roll-out kind from the refrigerator section.

Dinner is going to kick ass tomorrow! :yes:

targobelle

~*taaa raaa raaa boom*~
MBTI Type
enfp
Ivy PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE I BEG of you to let me come over for dinner!!!!! PLEASE!!!!!

lol my son can NOT have his food mixed up so it's been far too long since I've had a stew or even a pot pie for that matter...... *sigh*

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Ivy PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE I BEG of you to let me come over for dinner!!!!! PLEASE!!!!!
Heh. I was thinking that it's too bad I live so far from her, otherwise I'd try to invite myself over. :D
lol my son can NOT have his food mixed up so it's been far too long since I've had a stew or even a pot pie for that matter...... *sigh*
I hate that. Pot pies, casseroles, and one dish meals are so delicious and nutritious, but that would be too easy. :rolli:

targobelle

~*taaa raaa raaa boom*~
MBTI Type
enfp
*sigh* that would be literally DELICIOUS to do. But yeah I know you're far away from me as well......

Brendan

Guerilla Urbanist
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Ivy I wish you would adopt me. I would stay and eat your pot pies well after your kids grow up and go to college and all that nonsense.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Ivy I wish you would adopt me. I would stay and eat your pot pies well after your kids grow up and go to college and all that nonsense.

Hey, I've got a couch. Come on down!

(Am I going to regret saying that?) :hug:

targobelle

~*taaa raaa raaa boom*~
MBTI Type
enfp
wait wait wait Ivy you must make him provide woms childcare for thing 1 and thing 2 though... I mean after all..... lol....

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
That's a pretty good idea! As soon as I run the fingerprint and criminal background checks and check his references and Google him to death. :)

MBTI Type
INTJ
That's a pretty good idea! As soon as I run the fingerprint and criminal background checks and check his references and Google him to death. :)

I had to pay $100 once to get googled to death. It was totally worth it.

O

Oberon

At my house, boy would go hungry occasionally, or learn to choke it down. =]

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
At my house, boy would go hungry occasionally, or learn to choke it down. =]

:yes: I do understand that cafe's son(s) (and targo's?) have medical issues that contribute to that. Mine's just picky. :) Actually, it's my daughter who is picky-- the boy will eat just about anything unless it's in sandwich format, oddly enough. (I am a mean, mean mother who still serves him sandwiches if that's what everybody else is eating-- he takes them apart and eats the components.)

The pot pie is in the oven right now. :party2:

O

Oberon

Okay, point of order...

My wife will point to anything comprising meat and vegetables in gravy with a pastry crust on top and call it a "pot pie."

But per my German-immigrant upbringing, pot pie is made by cooking a pot of savory meat and gravy with vegetables, and cooking hand-rolled noodles in it as it simmers. (The noodles are a simple egg-yolk-and-flour affair. Cut the dough in and you've got something very like spaetzle; pinch it and drop it in, particularly into ham broth, and it's "rivels." Roll it with a roller and cut it into squares, and you've got pot pie noodles, or nudeln.) But in any case, "pot pie" is boiled, not baked.

Put meat, gravy, and vegetables into a pie shell and bake it, on the other hand, and it's not a pot pie but rather a pie, named for the meat in it. The result is a chicken pie or a beef pie, but not a chicken or beef pot pie.

Does anyone else know what I'm talking about?

Sahara

MBTI Type
INFP
What is a pot pie? lol I have never had one, is that like a normal pie in the uk?

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Okay, point of order...

My wife will point to anything comprising meat and vegetables in gravy with a pastry crust on top and call it a "pot pie."

But per my German-immigrant upbringing, pot pie is made by cooking a pot of savory meat and gravy with vegetables, and cooking hand-rolled noodles in it as it simmers. (The noodles are a simple egg-yolk-and-flour affair. Cut the dough in and you've got something very like spaetzle; pinch it and drop it in, particularly into ham broth, and it's "rivels." Roll it with a roller and cut it into squares, and you've got pot pie noodles, or nudeln.) But in any case, "pot pie" is boiled, not baked.

Put meat, gravy, and vegetables into a pie shell and bake it, on the other hand, and it's not a pot pie but rather a pie, named for the meat in it. The result is a chicken pie or a beef pie, but not a chicken or beef pot pie.

Does anyone else know what I'm talking about?

My mother made something that sounds vaguely like what you describe. Boiled peas in a milky gravy with dropped biscuit dough dumplings. It's called "peas'n'pysta" in the Appalachian foothills. But I've never heard anything called "pot pie" except for savory baked stews in a pie-type crust.

O

Oberon

What is a pot pie? lol I have never had one, is that like a normal pie in the uk?

From above:

"Per my German-immigrant upbringing, pot pie is made by cooking a pot of savory meat and gravy with vegetables, and cooking hand-rolled noodles in it as it simmers."

What other people call pot pie, I call a meat pie. Draw your own conclusions. :D

Sahara

MBTI Type
INFP
From above:

"Per my German-immigrant upbringing, pot pie is made by cooking a pot of savory meat and gravy with vegetables, and cooking hand-rolled noodles in it as it simmers."

What other people call pot pie, I call a meat pie. Draw your own conclusions. :D

Ok that sounds like a normal, just "pie" over here, although never had one with hand rolled noodles, usually just chicken and mushrooms or steak and kidney. i have never made one from scratch although my grandfather used to make the best.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
From above:

Except there was no meat in my pot pie yesterday (which was delicious, by the way)!

Sahara, the way I'm using the term "pot pie" is like this: Chicken Pot Pie IX - Allrecipes Except without the celery. Can't stand celery unless it's raw with something stuffed in its crevice.

Brendan

Guerilla Urbanist
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Hey, I've got a couch. Come on down!

(Am I going to regret saying that?) :hug:
Nonsense! I help with dishes and cleaning and everything! I'll even watch Winnie the Pooh with the kids to keep them quiet and settled!

Sahara

MBTI Type
INFP
Except there was no meat in my pot pie yesterday (which was delicious, by the way)!

Sahara, the way I'm using the term "pot pie" is like this: Chicken Pot Pie IX - Allrecipes Except without the celery. Can't stand celery unless it's raw with something stuffed in its crevice.

Yes that's them, got it now. :)

Truly yummy, and the kids like them too. Maybe I will try and make one myself too.