• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Pot Pies: Food of the Gods?

O

Oberon

Okay, I guess what I'm really thinking of as "pot pie" is what is more properly referred to in the world at large as "slippery pot pie."

Sahara, in the US to use the word "pie" without any modifiers usually implies something sweet, i.e. a dessert pie such as apple pie, cherry pie, pecan pie, key lime pie, and so on.

Ooooh...key lime pie...I want some!

EdwardsKeyLimePie1.JPG

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
:yes: I do understand that cafe's son(s) (and targo's?) have medical issues that contribute to that. Mine's just picky. :) Actually, it's my daughter who is picky-- the boy will eat just about anything unless it's in sandwich format, oddly enough. (I am a mean, mean mother who still serves him sandwiches if that's what everybody else is eating-- he takes them apart and eats the components.)

The pot pie is in the oven right now. :party2:
Even without the autism, I'll admit that I've never been big on the idea of making kids eat stuff they don't like. I do like them to try things, but the way I see it, I don't go to the grocery store and intentionally buy things I don't like then force myself to eat them, so not giving them input about what I make, then expecting them to eat it is hypocritical. I'm not going to make them separate meals, and I do dislike complaining, but if they tried a bite or two and honestly don't like it, it's no big if they go make themselves a cheese sandwich or something.

Now that I know there is autism involved, I first, thank God in heaven that they eat as many things as they do (some of the stories I've heard!) and realize making the pickier eating son eat things with "sauce" would be the sensory equivalent to locking his slightly less picky eater brother into a room with a running vacuum cleaner that could not be turned off. If I ever did that I would deserve to got to jail for child abuse.

Of course, now I really don't cook anymore.

Sahara

MBTI Type
INFP
That looks soooooo nice. (drooling)

In the Uk pie is savoury, sweet is always cake of some type.

I kept wondering if a pot pie was like a stew with a pastry lid over the top. They are nice too.

O

Oberon

Note: If you ever order key lime pie and it's green, you're getting a second-rate product. Lime juice is cloudy white/translucent and will yield a white-to-cream-colored pie filling, depending on the other ingredients. If the pie is green it's because somebody added food coloring to it.

O

Oberon

I kept wondering if a pot pie was like a stew with a pastry lid over the top. They are nice too.

Bottom crust is optional, though I prefer it. The rich pastry saturated with gravy is one of the best parts.

Sahara

MBTI Type
INFP
Though I know what Yorkshire pudding is by reading about it, I've never had the pleasure of eating one.

You must try them, they are scrumptious bites of heaven, and really easy to make, I love making large ones and pouring gravy and veg into the middle, looks good too.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Even without the autism, I'll admit that I've never been big on the idea of making kids eat stuff they don't like. I do like them to try things, but the way I see it, I don't go to the grocery store and intentionally buy things I don't like then force myself to eat them, so not giving them input about what I make, then expecting them to eat it is hypocritical. I'm not going to make them separate meals, and I do dislike complaining, but if they tried a bite or two and honestly don't like it, it's no big if they go make themselves a cheese sandwich or something.

I agree with you on all of this. My philosophy is "it's my job to put nutritious and appetizing food in front of them, and it's their job to eat as much or as little of it as they like." So I serve what I serve and they eat it or don't, but I do take their preferences into consideration when I decide what to make. And if they truly, truly do not like a food, I might still give them a tiny bit of it (they say it can take up to 10-15 times of offering a new food before a kid will accept it) but I don't actually care if they eat it. I try to make sure there are enough "courses" that everybody gets SOMETHING they like, if it's not the entire meal. I hate cajoling them into eating something-- once the food is on the table, I am totally hands-off. That includes making new food; if they want something else, they're welcome to get it themselves. :)

Sahara

MBTI Type
INFP
I agree with you on all of this. My philosophy is "it's my job to put nutritious and appetizing food in front of them, and it's their job to eat as much or as little of it as they like." So I serve what I serve and they eat it or don't, but I do take their preferences into consideration when I decide what to make. And if they truly, truly do not like a food, I might still give them a tiny bit of it (they say it can take up to 10-15 times of offering a new food before a kid will accept it) but I don't actually care if they eat it. I try to make sure there are enough "courses" that everybody gets SOMETHING they like, if it's not the entire meal. I hate cajoling them into eating something-- once the food is on the table, I am totally hands-off. That includes making new food; if they want something else, they're welcome to get it themselves. :)

I wish I could behave the way you and cafe do at the dinner times, I get so stressed and it turns into a battle that I usually lose.

Ok I am going to try again today, I wll make the cannelloni, serve it, and then try to ignore the waste, the picking, the moaning and the outright refusal to eat. :blush:

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I like that approach. I wish that would work here or that I had the energy to make it work.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I wish I could behave the way you and cafe do at the dinner times, I get so stressed and it turns into a battle that I usually lose.

Ok I am going to try again today, I wll make the cannelloni, serve it, and then try to ignore the waste, the picking, the moaning and the outright refusal to eat. :blush:

Sahara, I'm the type who throws a book at any problem I have (especially parenting ones!) so I don't know if this will be useful to you, but there is a GREAT book about this very topic. Amazon.com: How to Get Your Kid to Eat: But Not Too Much: Books: Ellyn Satter

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I like that approach. I wish that would work here or that I had the energy to make it work.

I imagine it's a lot easier with two!

I also have some weight issues that I don't want to pass down to my kids with such gems from my childhood as "the Clean Plate Club" and "ballerinas eat their Brussels sprouts." So I'm pretty hands-off about food. I'll provide the actual food, and let Noah provide the parental guidance in that area.

O

Oberon

My wife and I keep a basket of fresh fruit on the kitchen counter, and all the kids know that they can go get a piece of fruit and eat it whenever they want.

The trick, we find, is keeping the basket filled. Typically we'll have apples, bananas, and one other fruit (plums, peaches, grapes, oranges, or what have you) in the basket. The kids tear it up. We've nicknamed our two-year-old "the fruit bat."

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I imagine it's a lot easier with two!

I also have some weight issues that I don't want to pass down to my kids with such gems from my childhood as "the Clean Plate Club" and "ballerinas eat their Brussels sprouts." So I'm pretty hands-off about food. I'll provide the actual food, and let Noah provide the parental guidance in that area.
My brother and sister-in-law think I'm bad for not forcing my kids to eat. They have always made their kids eat and believe very strongly that it's the right thing to do, but somehow they aren't noticing that their kids are or are becoming obese or else they are noticing but not figuring out the correlation.

I know my kids should be eating more fruits and vegetables and that they should not be eating as many carbs and meats as they eat, but most of them self-regulate on the amounts pretty well. Out of the four, I only have one kid that eats like me, though. Likes almost everything, including fruits and veggies and doesn't eat a lot at any one time.

I do have some limits on what they can eat when and how much. They are lenient, though. No ice cream sandwiches until after lunch and only one a day. That kind of thing. I limit the empty junk food, but don't limit food with some valid nutritional value. They can eat all the fruit and corn dogs they want, for instance.

Amazingly enough, they are pretty healthy. I don't know what the long term effects will be, but this is the best I can do right now.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
My brother and sister-in-law think I'm bad for not forcing my kids to eat. They have always made their kids eat and believe very strongly that it's the right thing to do, but somehow they aren't noticing that their kids are or are becoming obese or else they are noticing but not figuring out the correlation.

I know my kids should be eating more fruits and vegetables and that they should not be eating as many carbs and meats as they eat, but most of them self-regulate on the amounts pretty well. Out of the four, I only have one kid that eats like me, though. Likes almost everything, including fruits and veggies and doesn't eat a lot at any one time.

I do have some limits on what they can eat when and how much. They are lenient, though. No ice cream sandwiches until after lunch and only one a day. That kind of thing. I limit the empty junk food, but don't limit food with some valid nutritional value. They can eat all the fruit and corn dogs they want, for instance.

Amazingly enough, they are pretty healthy. I don't know what the long term effects will be, but this is the best I can do right now.

It sounds pretty great actually. They're learning to self-regulate and they won't have the baggage of being forced to ignore their internal gauges to live with forever.

I am way lazy so a lot of what I prepare turns out to be more of an assembly thing than true cooking. I might actually cook once a week or less.

O

Oberon

My wife took our third child (a son, age 7) to the doctor for a routine checkup, and the doctor noted that while his height was normal for his age, his weight was a couple of standard deviations below average.

"Do you think we should try to get him to eat more?" my wife asked, suddenly worried.

"Oh no!" the doctor said. "He's healthy in every respect, so there's no need to change his eating habits. Besides," she added,
"...it's really refreshing for me to see a kid who isn't grossly obese for a change."

Rajah

Reigning Bologna Princess
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
I'd mentally prepared for a healthy diet this week. Then I read this thread.

Thanks, Ivy.

Fuck, pot pies are good.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
My wife and I keep a basket of fresh fruit on the kitchen counter, and all the kids know that they can go get a piece of fruit and eat it whenever they want.

The trick, we find, is keeping the basket filled. Typically we'll have apples, bananas, and one other fruit (plums, peaches, grapes, oranges, or what have you) in the basket. The kids tear it up. We've nicknamed our two-year-old "the fruit bat."
That's cute (fruit bats are cute, too). My younger daughter's only requests this week were for strawberries and plums. The only fruit my older son will eat is bananas and the younger one only eats apples. :17425:

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Nonsense! I help with dishes and cleaning and everything! I'll even watch Winnie the Pooh with the kids to keep them quiet and settled!

Hey, I can already park them with WTP to keep them quiet and settled! If this arrangement is going to work, I'm going to need you to read to them and play games and stuff.

Rajah, you'll be happy to know that my pot pie filling was very nearly fat-free, with the exception of a bit of butter to saute the onions in (maybe 2 tbsp in all, which is spread out between 2 large casserole dishes). The crust was a fattyfest of course, but I didn't feel too bad about the whole thing. And it DID kick ass. :)