User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by targo View Post
    lol my son can NOT have his food mixed up so it's been far too long since I've had a stew or even a pot pie for that matter...... *sigh*
    At my house, boy would go hungry occasionally, or learn to choke it down. =]

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by oberon67 View Post
    At my house, boy would go hungry occasionally, or learn to choke it down. =]
    I do understand that cafe's son(s) (and targo's?) have medical issues that contribute to that. Mine's just picky. Actually, it's my daughter who is picky-- the boy will eat just about anything unless it's in sandwich format, oddly enough. (I am a mean, mean mother who still serves him sandwiches if that's what everybody else is eating-- he takes them apart and eats the components.)

The pot pie is in the oven right now.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

Oberon

Okay, point of order...

My wife will point to anything comprising meat and vegetables in gravy with a pastry crust on top and call it a "pot pie."

But per my German-immigrant upbringing, pot pie is made by cooking a pot of savory meat and gravy with vegetables, and cooking hand-rolled noodles in it as it simmers. (The noodles are a simple egg-yolk-and-flour affair. Cut the dough in and you've got something very like spaetzle; pinch it and drop it in, particularly into ham broth, and it's "rivels." Roll it with a roller and cut it into squares, and you've got pot pie noodles, or nudeln.) But in any case, "pot pie" is boiled, not baked.

Put meat, gravy, and vegetables into a pie shell and bake it, on the other hand, and it's not a pot pie but rather a pie, named for the meat in it. The result is a chicken pie or a beef pie, but not a chicken or beef pot pie.

Does anyone else know what I'm talking about?

MBTI
    INFP

What is a pot pie? lol I have never had one, is that like a normal pie in the uk?
    "No one can be free of the chains that surround them"

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Okay, point of order...

My wife will point to anything comprising meat and vegetables in gravy with a pastry crust on top and call it a "pot pie."

But per my German-immigrant upbringing, pot pie is made by cooking a pot of savory meat and gravy with vegetables, and cooking hand-rolled noodles in it as it simmers. (The noodles are a simple egg-yolk-and-flour affair. Cut the dough in and you've got something very like spaetzle; pinch it and drop it in, particularly into ham broth, and it's "rivels." Roll it with a roller and cut it into squares, and you've got pot pie noodles, or nudeln.) But in any case, "pot pie" is boiled, not baked.

Put meat, gravy, and vegetables into a pie shell and bake it, on the other hand, and it's not a pot pie but rather a pie, named for the meat in it. The result is a chicken pie or a beef pie, but not a chicken or beef pot pie.

Does anyone else know what I'm talking about?
    My mother made something that sounds vaguely like what you describe. Boiled peas in a milky gravy with dropped biscuit dough dumplings. It's called "peas'n'pysta" in the Appalachian foothills. But I've never heard anything called "pot pie" except for savory baked stews in a pie-type crust.

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by Sahara View Post
    What is a pot pie? lol I have never had one, is that like a normal pie in the uk?
    From above:

"Per my German-immigrant upbringing, pot pie is made by cooking a pot of savory meat and gravy with vegetables, and cooking hand-rolled noodles in it as it simmers."

What other people call pot pie, I call a meat pie. Draw your own conclusions.

MBTI
    INFP

From above:

"Per my German-immigrant upbringing, pot pie is made by cooking a pot of savory meat and gravy with vegetables, and cooking hand-rolled noodles in it as it simmers."

Ok that sounds like a normal, just "pie" over here, although never had one with hand rolled noodles, usually just chicken and mushrooms or steak and kidney. i have never made one from scratch although my grandfather used to make the best.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

From above:

Except there was no meat in my pot pie yesterday (which was delicious, by the way)!

Sahara, the way I'm using the term "pot pie" is like this: Chicken Pot Pie IX - Allrecipes Except without the celery. Can't stand celery unless it's raw with something stuffed in its crevice.

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Hey, I've got a couch. Come on down!

(Am I going to regret saying that?)
    Nonsense! I help with dishes and cleaning and everything! I'll even watch Winnie the Pooh with the kids to keep them quiet and settled!
    There is no such thing as separation from God.

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Except there was no meat in my pot pie yesterday (which was delicious, by the way)!

Sahara, the way I'm using the term "pot pie" is like this: Chicken Pot Pie IX - Allrecipes Except without the celery. Can't stand celery unless it's raw with something stuffed in its crevice.
    Yes that's them, got it now.

Truly yummy, and the kids like them too. Maybe I will try and make one myself too.