• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Living outdoors... for the rest of your life

JAVO

MBTI Type
eNTP
[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfk4ifx-8jw&eurl"]Eustace Conway - a modern day Daniel Boone[/YOUTUBE]

Hearing of this guy brought tears to my eyes and made me feel somewhat as if I had thrown my life away.

I liked this statement:
"One of the most important things is to know that you don't know what you're doing."

Wild horses

MBTI Type
ENFP
Ooooh this thread is dangerous... could really start givin me ideas... tanks for sharing JAVO!!!

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I've thought of doing that several times... Kind of natural since I grew up in the woods and now live in an urban area. -_-

spirilis

Senior Membrane
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
So if I recall, one of my science teachers in HS got married to some guy who lives basically in a primitive shack without running water, and she was uber excited to live like that. Both of them were camp counselors at this nearby nature camp/park where all the local middle schools send the kids for a 1-week trip during the 6th grade. I'm guessing this guy's shack was near or adjacent to that park.

Just the first thing that popped into my mind when I read the title to this thread :)

----
Wow, just watched the video. That's beyond astonishing!

GargoylesLegacy

Kickin' Ass since 1984
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w9
Very impressive. I would want to try that myself, just for a challenge and to see how far I would get, since I consider myself a very strong personality.

As for you saying this:
Hearing of this guy brought tears to my eyes and made me feel somewhat as if I had thrown my life away.
It's never too late, friend. Who knows what your future will bring.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Interesting to read about, but I wouldn't want to do that.

I :heart: my computers, books, electricity, and air conditioning way too much to even find the idea palatable.

Kyrielle

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
The romantic inside me says "Yes!" but the realist inside me says "No!". The realist wins, usually.

SurlyAdam

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Fuckin' hippie... No, I don't mean that. :doh:

This man lives a fulfilling, peaceful life. That's a beautiful story.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
The worse you are at it, the easier it is to do for the rest of your life. If you take my meaning.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The idealist in me thinks that's a great idea.
Often I have to tell her to shut up.
I like avoiding snow, weird-looking wildlife, and tornadoes by staying indoors.
Living outdoors would take that away. Along with my bathtub, books, and coffeemaker.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
The idealist in me thinks that's a great idea.
Often I have to tell her to shut up.
I like avoiding snow, weird-looking wildlife, and tornadoes by staying indoors.
Living outdoors would take that away. Along with my bathtub, books, and coffeemaker.
The idealist within one is adept at killing one swiftly and without consideration for logistics.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The idealist within one is adept at killing one swiftly and without consideration for logistics.

I'm supposed to embrace that quality.

I've been hanging out with too many NTs these days for my own good.. I've even begun to catch myself making analogies using mathematical terms.. evil, logical math... :moodeath:

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
I'm supposed to embrace that quality.

I've been hanging out with too many NTs these days for my own good.. I've even begun to catch myself making analogies using mathematical terms.. evil, logical math... :moodeath:
Math is a task, not a state of mind. You've been hanging around with too many math students.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Math is a task, not a state of mind. You've been hanging around with too many math students.

I don't know any math students!
I actually meant that the influence of my NT friends has helped me process things in a more logical sequence than I've been accustomed to.. and I believe it carried over into getting a better grasp on mathematics in school recently, to my surprise... and now I catch myself making the math analogies..

But I'd thought my cruddy little quip was more concise.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
It impressive that’s for sure, I love the fact that he hasn’t shut himself off from the world, he isn't some weirdo hermit or fanatic so he's easy to relate to.

I recon it would be awesome to do but there are things like music that I couldn’t go without so I’d need a generator at least and even then I don't think I could do it for too long, I would *cough* miss people *cough*.

laintpe

Summer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I was enticed by Christopher McCandless' journey, but seeing as I wouldn't eat any animals he had to shoot to maintain his skeletal figure... and that there isn't much tofu growing on trees in alaska... and seeing as i like being alive... i'll probably just admire from afar. Although Thoreau did it and he was a little less drastic... it's a nice thought, but i'll probably never abandon civilization for "the wild".