User Tag List

First 2345 Last

Awesome!

I'm considering going to that, but still undecided.

MBTI
    INTP

Wow, I'd love to try this kind of thing, but I don't know whether I'd ever be brave enough. Even doing it temporarily would give you a whole new perspective on life and a confidence in your ability to do to anything.

I'm not patient enough to live like that. I'd have trouble catching food, so I'd jump off a really high tree instead.
    "When a resolute young fellow steps up the great bully, the world, and takes him boldly by the beard, he is often surprised to find that it comes off in his hand, and that it was only tied on to scare away the timid adventurers." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Dali

Haha!

Even before I opened this thread, I knew what type would say "F NO!!"

How I'd love to see a season of Survivor with all contestants being INFJ.

Exclamation

How long would it take to learn to do this successfully?

Tomas Johannson, a director of the Institute for Prehistoric Technology in Sweden, has calculated that would require twelve years of schooling today to learn enough to become a stone-age person.

(From the book Simple Life “Friluftsliv”- People Meet Nature by Roger And Sarah Isberg, p. 183)
    Quoted from: The Jack Mountain Bushcraft Blog

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by JAVO View Post
    How long would it take to learn to do this successfully?
    This isn't surprising. I do think at times about how if I ended up being stranded alone, in the wilderness, I wouldn't last long at all.

It's too easy to forget these days how easy we have it.....water comes out of a tap for us.

To actually live in the wild? Survival. I can easily see how it would take 12 years of schooling to really be able to do it - not only learn all of your natural history - plants/animals, their behaviors, hunting, etc, but building shelters, weapons, tools, boats/transport, making clothing out of animal and plant parts....yeah.

Humanity has lost a lot of raw skill/craft, esp. when it comes to survival. It'll be interesting if/when we end up having to go back in that direction, culturally.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Quote Originally Posted by Mo View Post
    Haha!

Even before I opened this thread, I knew what type would say "F NO!!"

How I'd love to see a season of Survivor with all contestants being INFJ.
    I know I wouldn't want to do it long term because I'm the one that takes the kids camping. My husband, the INTP, has no inclination to spend his leisure time in a non-climate controlled bug habitat. I've dragged him fishing a couple of times, but he always makes me bait his hook.

If we did ever have to kill our own meat, I know I would be doing the killing and the cleaning. I wouldn't probably hunt, though. I'd head down to the local farm store, buy a small animal trap and hope to catch a boy and a girl rabbit. Not my idea of a good time, but I'm darn well not going to sit around and starve.

I enjoy learning about the uses of local plants, so I do know a bit, but I'm not in a hurry to find out if we'd survive under primitive conditions.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    INtP

I've known a couple of people who live like this - they teach wilderness survival skills and do an awful lot of the "practice what you preach" thing. Living in tepees/yurts, gardening, raising poultry, etc. And just living out in the woods. Almost without exception, the happiest group of folks I've ever met.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INFP

It's a hell of a lot of work. I haven't gone to the extent this fellow did, but country livin' is country livin' and as soon as you are responsible for anything besides yourself that responsibility is exponential.

Nickle Iron Silicone Charmed Justice's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ

I do something like this short-term. I love the woods, and have taken some wilderness survival courses. I'd prefer living on a boat on in an RV and roughing it out that way though.