• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How to cook chicken

Zergling

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ExTJ
I'm interested in a way to cook chicken without producing lots of smoke. I live in a pretty small apartment, and when cooking chicken it has often smoked up very badly.

I've so far tried just heating it in a pan, and using olive oil to avoid sticking (My mom suggested this). Both oil and non-oil tend to produce lots of smoke. I'm not sure if putting it in the oven to bake would produce more or less, since some other food I';ve cooked that way have also produced a lot of smoke, though I could see that being the way to go. If boiling in water works, I may also give that a try. However, I'd rather hear something from other people before trying anything.

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
Reduce the heat?

Yessss.... And use the right oil - they all have a smoking temperature (you aren't using virgin oil, are you?)... use canola over virgin, and sunflower/peanut/corn oil over olive oil if it's still a problem.

Keep the temperature below 400 regardless if you are frying or similar.

But if you are baking, there is no way it should be smoking. The only way this should happen (and that goes for frying too) is if you are heating something too high... something that shouldn't be heated that high - coatings and oil are the two that are most likely in frying.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Oven-frying is a good way to go. The only way it smokes is if you have stuff dripped in the bottom of the oven. Not that I would know anything about that. :whistling: I like to use "Baking Miracle" to bread it. It's pretty yummy stuff and the box has directions.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I usually roast mine and it never smokes unless I forget about it and cook it too long and the drippings burn.

I imagine it would help to get leaner meat too...I think it's the fat that causes smoking.

Actually even if you are frying it shouldn't smoke....use a nonstick pan so you don't need to use much oil, keep it on medium heat. I don't think I remember mine smoking noticeably. If you move it often enough so it doesn't stick, you can even get by with just some cooking oil spray, which shouldn't smoke at all.

MBTI Type
INTJ
As for cooking it in a pan on the stove, these should keep it from smoking:

1. Use a skillet or saute pan with a lid.
2. Use medium high heat. If your stove is a 1-10 scale, use 6 or 7.
3. Use peanut oil or safflower oil. They're healthy and won't smoke.
4. Don't use too much oil. A tablespoon or two should be plenty to cook 8 pieces (a full chicken) in a skillet.

But I recommend roasting. If you have a 3.5-4 lb. chicken, this is what you do. Take a quarter stick of softened butter and mix it with your favorite spices. Salt, pepper, sage, thyme, and rosemary work well. Work that butter mixture inside the skin of the chicken all over the bird. Breasts, legs, everything. Slather the remainder that's on your hands all over the outside of the chicken. Put the chicken on a roasting rack and roast back side up for 30 minutes at 375 degrees. Turn the heat up to 450, turn the chicken breast side up, and roast for about 20 more minutes. It's done when a meat thermometer in the breast comes out at 160 degrees. Most importantly, after you take the chicken out of the oven, do not slice it or even touch it for 10 minutes to let the juices settle. Otherwise you'll get dry chicken.

If your bird is heavier than 4 lbs, leave it in a little longer. The true test of when it's done is the 160 degree reading in the breast.

If this causes your oven to smoke, you have a dirty oven :)

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
Here's another option - a smoker bag. Available in most big grocery stores. Put the whole chicken in the sealed bag and bake in the oven. It smokes and is sealed. Nothing comes out of the bag!

Tasty, too.

-geoff

Zergling

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ExTJ
My mom actually suggested some of the same stuff you guys did. (I asked her during a recent call.), so I'll probably just bake or measure the oil carefully if I eat plain chicken again. (Mostly I just use it in soup or curry types of things, or on tacos, where I can cut it into small pieces and it doesn't smoke too much anyway.)

O

Oberon

Olive oil smokes at a very low temp; almost any other oil would be a better choice.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I don't know how to cook chicken except for how everyone else said.

But when I first saw the title I had to do a double take because, I swore it said "How to cook children" Not that I want to cook or eat children I'm just curious how one would cook a child.

whiteraven

MBTI Type
intp
One word:
Slow cooker.
Oops, that is two. Get a slow cooker and put a layer of onions in the bottom so the chicken does not stick. Put it on low while you are gone for the day. Remove the chicken and make gravy...if you want the recipe for slow cooker gravy, I'll look it up. Perfect.

MBTI Type
INTJ

But when I first saw the title I had to do a double take because, I swore it said "How to cook children" Not that I want to cook or eat children I'm just curious how one would cook a child.

I bet there is an excellent recipe somewhere in the collected works of Edward Gorey.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

I swore it said that, too. I learned how to cook chicken when I worked at McDonald's. Children, however, sound quite delicious! :D

Here is the story of a man who enjoyed Asian food!