User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INTP

Default Smells or aromas that evoke feelings

After recently reading a thread on food cravings it made me think about smells that make me reminisce, some weird, some not so. I also heard it was a bit of an INTP thing to get lost in dreaming about things in my past, which I tend to do quite a lot.

I love the smell of rain on concrete or asphalt, a very wet, dusty smell but very pleasant. It reminds me of being younger, playtime etc at school.

Also the smell of creosote, but i think thats more of a substance abuse thing :P

I'm not very into floral smells......I think that goes back to an old Physics teacher I used to have that doused herself in the latest Eau de Toillette to detract would be rapists with a toxic cloud.

Does anyone else have any weird aroma or smell that invokes some kind of memory or thought....or am i just a bit out there on this one?
    Yes, you are unique......just like everyone else

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

no not at all...i have weird ones like that too and i love the rain on asphalt smell too.

and what is creosote? a similar one for me may be skunk...from when i used to love to smoke pot and it has that smell...so skunk just smells like pot to me now and i kinda like it...is that kind of the same thing that you're talking about?

and i love the smell of clay and paint because my parents were artists...my dad was always sculpting...so that smell reminds me of them.

and cut grass and honeysuckle takes me back to this memory of playing tag with my sisters barefoot in the backyard.

i'm pretty sure there's a million smells that remind me of something...i think that's typically what triggers it for me.

----------------
    Now playing: The Kooks - If Only
    via FoxyTunes

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

I like the smell before it rains
    axe deoderant body spray
    beer
    gasoline
    cut grass
    barbecues

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4, 7
    Socionics
    IEE

Freshly mowed, green-grass reminds me of elementary school when my friends & I would run back into class for 'story-time' (that, and running into doggy poo- horrific for any kid).

I love the smell of popcorn.. reminds me of days when my buddy and I used to run up and down the ramp in Edward's movie theaters. Children.

I love the smell of candy cane.. reminds me of my dad, when we used to live in a run down apartment & he'd decorate this fake office planter with bright green, magenta, blue lights as our X-mas tree.. Good times..

I also love the smell of the ocean water. Reminds me of walks my mom and I used to take after church to the beach when I was 3. I remember the smell of morning ocean mist. I will always be an HB girl..

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Love the smell of wet, decaying leaves in the woods on a humid morning/after it rains.

The smell of potting soil (or clay) just out of the bag. My parents kept a vegetable garden when I was little, and I threw pottery on the wheel often in high school. Both were soothing moments.

The smell of wood smoke in the fall. Reminds me of books and going on adventures and time.

The smells of pot roast and pancakes both remind me of safe places (not at the same time mind you).

And I like the way my dog's fur smells. It's kind of like corn chips.
    "I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference."

Robert Frost

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

The morningrise breeze that blows into my room's window has a scent I could best describe as wet chocolate with grass.

Any extremely sweet scent strikes me as joyous because they remind me of the perfume I wore during historical nights of partying.

MBTI
    Why?
    Socionics
    SEX

Music usually leads me to remember scents... Music is heavily involved in my life..
    ... They say that knowledge is free, and to truly acquire wisdom always comes with a price... Well then,... That will be $10, please!

MBTI
    INFP

The way that kittens smell.
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

Gardenias remind me of my grandmother. She used to grow them in her backyard and we'd tend them together when I was little. They were her prettiest blooms.

My grandfather used to tell us that we were his. <3
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

MBTI
    istj
    Enneagram

According to the RAC Foundation:

--Salty sea air: Encourages deep breathing and helps relieve stress.
    --Fast food wrappers, fresh bread and pastry: Can cause driver irritability and a tendency to speed.
    --Peppermint, cinnamon, lemon and coffee: Can help make us more alert drivers.
    --Chamomile, jasmine and lavender: Can cause drivers to relax too much or fall asleep.
    --Odorless interior: Can create irritability and even olfactory hallucinations.

That being said, I love the smell of salty sea/ocean air.