• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Ecuador Wildlife - first installment

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've realized I have too many wildlife photos for one thread, so this is just part of it.

Apologies in advance for any and all of the annoying ads that come as a result of the image hosting site....

And for the various image sizes [edit: I'm going to do it differently next time]

These were all taken on the coast of Ecuador, near Puerto Lopez, in a dry tropical forest, as well as the Isla de la Plata. The final few shots were taken in an outdoor botanical garden in Quito.

Tropical Gnatcatcher

Sandwich Terns

Brown Pelican

The birds! The birds!! Take cover! Magnificent Frigatebirds.

Blue-footed Boobies

Magnificent Frigatebirds

Red-footed Booby

Masked Booby

Olivaceous Piculet

Ecuadorian Trogan

What I believe to be the Chestnut-capped Brush Finch

Pacific Pygmy-Owl

Rufous-headed Pygmy Tyrant

Black Flowerpiercer (note the curiously-shaped bill. Neat adaptation.)

Sparkling Violetear

Black-tailed Trainbearer

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Those are incredible pics! Very inspiring.

INA

now! in shell form
MBTI Type
intp
Beautiful!
The Sparkling Violetear is my favorite. It looks like a hummingbird. Is it?

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Wow! The colours are amazing.

SoAndSo

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
1w?
Awesome pics! I'd love to go someplace and see so much variety...just beautiful! As a child I'd go to the aviary and sit for hours just watching them. Thank you for sharing. :)

INA

now! in shell form
MBTI Type
intp
:yes: The photos are giving me a major case of wanderlust.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Awesome pics! I'd love to go someplace and see so much variety...just beautiful! As a child I'd go to the aviary and sit for hours just watching them. Thank you for sharing. :)

Thanks! I'm sure you'd love it there, then, if you could sit in an aviary for hours as a child!

nightning said:
Love the hummingbirds and boobies Great photographs

Thanks nightning! I'll have more hummingbird photos later. The boobies were great (lol). Very, very interesting birds, and it was amazing how fearless they were of us. Hopefully it'll continue to be that way and they'll never learn to be afraid. Also, what was cool about this location was that it was one of the only (if not THE only?) locations where all 3 species of booby breed. To be surrounded by colonies of seabirds is a really neat thing

InaF3157 said:
The photos are giving me a major case of wanderlust.

:laugh: I have a troublesome personality, in that I get major wanderlust, but also like having stability and a permanent place to call home. It can be problematic balancing the two desires.:)

INA

now! in shell form
MBTI Type
intp
:laugh: I have a troublesome personality, in that I get major wanderlust, but also like having stability and a permanent place to call home. It can be problematic balancing the two desires.:)
I can dig this. I love going away . . . and coming back. It does wonders. Too much of one and I crave the other. What would be perfect is having a home base and a job that requires/provides for not infrequent travel.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
thanks for sharing! really pretty. :)

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
Thanks nightning! I'll have more hummingbird photos later. The boobies were great (lol). Very, very interesting birds, and it was amazing how fearless they were of us. Hopefully it'll continue to be that way and they'll never learn to be afraid. Also, what was cool about this location was that it was one of the only (if not THE only?) locations where all 3 species of booby breed. To be surrounded by colonies of seabirds is a really neat thing

Goodie!

I heard funny things about those boobies. Apparently the parents doesn't care if one chick beats up on the other one. Literally one chick can be pushed away from the nest and left to starve and the parents would ignore it. :shock: