User Tag List

View Poll Results: Do you find Guinness tasty?

Voters
46. You may not vote on this poll
  • I find Guinness really tasty

    32 69.57%
  • I don't find Guinness so much tasty

    9 19.57%
  • I haven't drunk Guinness yet

    5 10.87%
First 5678 Last

Results 61 to 70 of 71

Thread: Guinness

  1. #61
    Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Posts
    2,934

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gauche View Post
    Well, you know guys, you are from the angloamerican zones , so "Irish school" is somehow natural to you, but we have different beer giants here, like Pilsner or Kelt, maybe we and you are just used to something different..

    cheers
    You're right. The best beers in the world are by far those brewed in Czech Republic (Pilsner Urquell for instance), but the angloamerican zone usually ignores this fact.
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

    7w8 SCUxI

  2. #62
    Oberon
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackmail! View Post
    You're right. The best beers in the world are by far those brewed in Czech Republic (Pilsner Urquell for instance), but the angloamerican zone usually ignores this fact.
    You must work on those social skills, blackz.

    You see, if I had wanted to state this sentiment, I would have put it rather this way:

    "My favorite beers are the Czech products such as Pilsner Urquell. Although it isn't widely known, the Czechs are some of the best brewers in the world."

    Your phrasing includes an assertion of objective truth, "The best beers in the world are by far those brewed in the Czech Republic...," which puts you in the presumptive position of Arbiter of Absolute Truth in all things beer-related. Also, your phrasing includes an accusation: "...the angloamerican zone usually ignores this fact." It may also be that this opinion is not widely shared because the Czech products are not well-known in the west. There is no need to accuse anyone of intellectual dishonesty or snobbery.

    My phrasing, on the other hand, is the perspective of one who is sharing a personal opinion, but also is willing to allow the hearer to have his or her own personal opinion which may differ from yours without causing any interpersonal friction.

    EDIT: Now it's time for you to laugh at me for being a pompous ass.

  3. #63
    Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Posts
    2,934

    Default

    Dear Oberon,


    If we listen to your reasoning, I'd say your perfectly right.

    But I think you are aware of the ENTP playful nature, that could lead us, for instance, to deliberately exaggerate a fact just for the sake of arguing, and titillate our dear Angloamerican friends, especially if the thread is light, convivial, and do not require subtle thoughts.
    Let's take a beer thread, for instance...

    But again, if I were an ENTP answering this previous ENTP, I'd be aware of that, and I'll try to exaggerate my answer the other way: for instance I could be overly rational, precise and factual to every details.

    Now the question is: What would an ENTP answer to an ENTP who has already answered to another fellow ENTP?

    [We should call it the meta-meta beer thread?]
    Last edited by Blackmail!; 12-18-2008 at 11:56 PM.
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

    7w8 SCUxI

  4. #64
    Oberon
    Guest

    Default

    Well, it was either reply as I did, or flatly assert that the best beers in the world are at present brewed in the United States.

    Which, as anyone with any sense can see, is so.

  5. #65
    not to be trusted miss fortune's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Enneagram
    827 sp/so
    Posts
    20,131

    Default

    I disagree with both of you... I hate all lagers- they're icky

    Now a good dark ale is a thing to shiv someone for I'm going to have to stick with the British Isles, but I'm NOT saying that Guinness is the best


    Some American microbreweries do a lovely job with thier ales as well though, which I can respect, buy and drink quite happily!
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

  6. #66
    Oberon
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    I disagree with both of you... I hate all lagers- they're icky
    You wouldn't be disagreeing with me, whatevs. I'm an ale man to the end... top-fermented is where it's at.

    But based on what I've had here in the US, the domestic products from Victory Brewing Company and Dogfish Head and Dominion and Weyerbacher really do top the list. To be fair, I have never had any UK brews in their native environments.

  7. #67
    Reason vs Being ragashree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    Mine
    Enneagram
    1w9
    Posts
    1,770

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    I disagree with both of you... I hate all lagers- they're icky

    Now a good dark ale is a thing to shiv someone for I'm going to have to stick with the British Isles, but I'm NOT saying that Guinness is the best


    Some American microbreweries do a lovely job with thier ales as well though, which I can respect, buy and drink quite happily!
    Hey, don't be too down on the good European lagers though. Seriously, have you ever tried a proper Czech Budweiser, for example (as opposed to its bland, rice-puddingy American namesake?). Some of that stuff can be pretty good, which is not to say I would want to drink it exclusively, but it can be nice for variation! Agreed on the British dark ales though (and not a few of the lighter ones as well - Young's Special London Ale springs very easily to mind here). I tend to think that the good Belgian beers(including, but not limited to, the Abbey styles) are very comperable to the British ales in terms of style, range, and quality though. I'd be hard to put to say which I would prefer given equal price and availability.

    Indeed the American microbrewed stuff can be pretty good, much better than the insipid mass-marketed stuff they usually send us. There are a couple of larger companies I wouldn't knock though. Anchor (they of Steam Beer fame) seem to put a decent amount of effort in, and the Samuel Adams brews are probably the best widely available American draught beers. I would quite happily choose several products of the latter company in preference to all but the VERY best of British draught brews... And in preference to Guinness, for what it's worth - my opinion on the later will always be essentially "Oh, well, if that's all they've got that won't poison me..."

  8. #68
    Senior Member 563 740's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    294

    Default

    Does a Guinness measure a pint glass or does a pint glass measure a Guinness???
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Extremes: Need To Pursue

    I like my cars fast, my music loud, and my women even faster and louder!

  9. #69
    Senior Member Travo7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    MBTI
    IN??
    Enneagram
    IDK
    Posts
    112

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gauche View Post
    Well, you know guys, you are from the angloamerican zones , so "Irish school" is somehow natural to you, but we have different beer giants here, like Pilsner or Kelt, maybe we and you are just used to something different..

    cheers
    Do you have czechvar where you live? Possibly the most drinkable I've come across.

    Guinness: It's like liquid pumpernickel (sp?). I love it.

  10. #70
    Member Lozzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Posts
    32

    Default

    Guinness is fantastic. I tend to drink ales more when I'm down the pub though.

    Has anyone tried a 'fluff'? I was introduced to it a while back. You get a pint glass, add half a pint of coke, flatten it (important!) and fill the rest with Guinness. Ice is good. It sounds awful but it's actually quite tasty.
    We don't need reason and we don't need logic, 'cause we've got feeling and we're damn proud of it!

    Speeding Motorcycle - Daniel Johnston

Similar Threads

  1. Famous Guinness Drinkers
    By dynamiteninja in forum Popular Culture and Type
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-24-2009, 01:01 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO