User Tag List

12 Last

Thread: Thanksgiving?

MBTI
    infp

Default Thanksgiving?

Over here in the Uk of course we dont have thanksgiving - it sounds a really lovely time - can you tell us over here in 'blighty' what its all about and what's special about it?
    I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.
    Maya Angelou

MBTI
    ENTP

Yes. This is the easiest question I will get all today.

Just when it starts to get dark and cold, all your family gathers together to share the biggest meal of the year. Your grandmother and your aunts stay up late and get up early to cook the most wonderful assortment of foods you only get one time a year (turkey, cornbread stuffing, 3 types of pies, etc.) and each year you get to see how everyone has grown and changed. Lots of hugs, playing dominoes, watching football together even though I hate football, napping. You smile and laugh so much your face hurts.

I like it even better than Christmas.
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."

MBTI
    infp

Sounds like you get to have xmas twice a year!!
    have a good one!
    I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.
    Maya Angelou

MBTI
    ENTP

In my family, the extended family (3 generations) only gets together for Thanksgiving. The individual families bud off and do their own thing on Christmas.

MBTI
    ENTP

My favorite holiday all year. No gifts, no cards, no church service, no extras.

Just 1 day of food and gratefulness and 3 of relaxation.
    Quote Originally Posted by pippi View Post
    Fiver is correct, it is freeing to not have to impress someone, to be accepted for who you really are.

MBTI
    ENTP

Yea, this lazy aspect is probably the best thing about Thanksgiving.

MBTI
    infp

Quote Originally Posted by Fiver View Post
    My favorite holiday all year. No gifts, no cards, no church service, no extras.

Just 1 day of food and gratefulness and 3 of relaxation.
    I see the appeal - I think Christmas is ruined by the gift giving - stressful to do - all that bloody shopping - and wasteful generally - the amount the children in my extended family got last year was obscene really - totally agree that its the company and relaxation thats important

In our house boxing day is like this - we all meet and play daft games, walk the dogs together and eat delicious stuff we dont usually eat the rest of the year - and get tipsy on some good wine!
    Maya Angelou

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

bronte, I love your avatar.

We don't usually have a big gathering. It's just me, the hubby, and our four kids. We celebrate a day late because my husband doesn't get Thursday off. He cooks the turkey. I cook the other stuff. We buy a pumpkin cheesecake and sometimes have birthday cake since our sons' birthdays are on the 24th and 29th. We might watch a movie together or get in the van and drive through the park to see the Christmas light displays.

This year my ENFP friend that I haven't seen in eight years and her three children are coming to spend the holiday with us, so it will be different than usual. I am so excited to see her again.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    infp

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    bronte, I love your avatar.

We might watch a movie together or get in the van and drive through the park to see the Christmas light displays.

This year my ENFP friend that I haven't seen in eight years and her three children are coming to spend the holiday with us, so it will be different than usual. I am so excited to see her again.
    Its the princess and the pea by arthur rackham (he does beautiful but slightly creepy illustrations of fairy tales - this is my favourite - thanks!)

Sounds lovely - I think we're really missing out in the UK - its the middle of winter and it seems a long time until xmas!

Have a good one
    Maya Angelou

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Synarch View Post
    Yea, this lazy aspect is probably the best thing about Thanksgiving.

Even with all the work involved I have to agree. Watching the Lion's lose and eating is what it's all about.