User Tag List

First 12

Thread: Thanksgiving?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by bronte View Post
    Over here in the Uk of course we dont have thanksgiving - it sounds a really lovely time - can you tell us over here in 'blighty' what its all about and what's special about it?
    It's a traditional holiday that's based on a feast where the early settlers dined with the Indians. The foods we eat at Thanksgiving normally are not the foods that were served at this feast, ironically.

Basically, people get together with their families and eat turkey, stuffing, and and cranberry sauce.

MBTI
    INtP

Quote Originally Posted by Fiver View Post
    My favorite holiday all year. No gifts, no cards, no church service, no extras.

Just 1 day of food and gratefulness and 3 of relaxation.
    Quote Originally Posted by bronte View Post
    I see the appeal - I think Christmas is ruined by the gift giving - stressful to do
    Both of these. Thanksgiving is rare among holidays these days - it's "big" enough that people make an effort to get together, but it's not commercialized. In fact, pretty much the worst thing about Thanksgiving is that it's the traditional start of the Christmas season and the inevitable slew of advertising and unmeetable expectations that surround Christmas (as I'm writing this, a commercial for our local news is giving advice on how to "get ahead" this weekend and "get an advantage over the other shoppers" for post-Thanksgiving Christmas shopping ).

for Thanksgiving .
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INFJ

Cool

It's just a excuse for us to get even collectively fatter.

It's always something... PuddleRiver's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    5w6

It's a time to count your blessings and give thanks for our loved ones and for everything that we've been given.

Oh yeah, and to eat humungously too, of course.
    "In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay one invincible summer."
    ~~~~
    A Christian's life may be the only Bible some people ever read.
    ~~~~
    "The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them" Maya Angelou.
    ~~~~
    I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ" Gandhi
    ~~~~

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Synarch View Post
    watching football together even though I hate football
    Yes, there is football, and I generally like it. This year it looks like the games are gonna suck, though. The Detroit Lions and the Dallas Cowboys always play on Thanksgiving for some reason.

The 10-1 Tennessee Titans, who suffered their first lost last Sunday, get to take out their rage on a poor, pathetic 0-11 Lions team. Won't it be a shame if the Titans lose, though?

The 7-4 Cowboys will be playing the 2-9 Seattle Seahawks for what will probably be another lopsided game, but not as bad as the first one.

At night the Cardinals are playing somebody, but who cares since nobody can watch it except the few people out there with the NFL network.

I miss work (without pay) and spend time at my Grandma's house with my mom's family. It's kind of a shitty deal all together. It's only better than Christmas because it's usually not as snowy.
    "When a resolute young fellow steps up the great bully, the world, and takes him boldly by the beard, he is often surprised to find that it comes off in his hand, and that it was only tied on to scare away the timid adventurers." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

MBTI
    intj

i enjoy the holidays this simple reason:
    - i am bold enough to reject invitations to squander my time.. and therefore , i am left to enjoy the silence of the absence of traffic, children , neighbors. Truly a time to celebrate by creating something elegant and/or destructive.

"The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke