• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

A special Gift for a special Person

GargoylesLegacy

Kickin' Ass since 1984
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w9
Herrow dear T-Central Fellows! :D
So I wanted to go and visit my Dad around my Birthday for a Change and I thought I could bring them X-Mas Gifts, while I am there just so shortly before X-Mas. "Them" would be my Dad, his Girlfriend and my Half-Sister.

Pre-Story
So I worked on the Gift for my Half-Sister, which I finished in 1 Week of Work. I used "Crochet" Technique to do it, even tho I have never done a Bag or Anything like that before. Just straight Cords. It turned out very nice (Pics are HERE in Case you wanna see). I packed the Bag with some Hello Kitty Stuff to round it up. She is at School-Age BTW.
I still need to make the Keychain for the Strap. Will do it tomorrow or the Day after.

Then I did or still do the Gift for my Dad's GF. I am making a wooden Jewel-Box for her, which is "filled" with soft Cloth on the Inside. Also I will decorate it with some shiny Gems and Stuff. On the Inside I will back selfmade Bathsalt and a selfmade Jar of Salve. It is coming great after working on it the whole Day. Will make Pictures within the next Days.

Problem
So now, while those Gifts were in my Head since the very Beginning when I had the Gift-Idea...I was thinking about Stuff for my Dad. First I wanted to make him a Portrait with a self-crafted Frame. Then I thought about a self-crafted Mouse-Pad. The Problem is...when comparing with the Things I made "for the Girls" it feels wrong in so many Ways. I worked on Jennis Gift for a Week, on Daisies for 2 or 3 Days in the End and for him it would be only a few Hours? Not right. But I can't think of Anything.

He is 44 Years old, loves Computer and Tech Stuff as well as his Family. He is a Security Guard and yeah...I am just not sure what to give him.
The Thing is, he lives in Italy, so some Things already dun work. Also it has to be Something I can transport in the Train. =/
The other Thing is...I have last seen him 2 Years ago, before that I didn't see him for 10 Years! And in that Time I never had the Chance to give him any Gifts. Not for X-Mas, not for B-Day. So a Portrait looks "cheap".

Now...does Anyone have a decent Idea of Something I could craft until Dec 7th? I am pretty good at almost Everything that has to do with Handcrafting and such, so that should be no Problem.
(Gee, sorry for the long Pre-Talk. But I want you to understand the Problem better)

Last edited:

GinKuusouka

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I bet he misses you when you're not there. :) Those are awfully long periods of time to not see him, and for him not to see you. Sometimes circumstances can't be helped however. But it makes me think. Wouldn't it be nice if you could go with something computer-y for him like the ideas that you had? But what if you could somehow incorporate a picture of yourself, or you and him, onto it? Or something else just as personal? (Would you truly believe that he would value a gift from you any less just because of those differences? I don't know your dad and I admittedly don't know you that well. But if he loves you that much, I would believe he would cherish anything from you.) Perhaps you could try to make a plaque of sorts for him? Something that may have a special saying held between the two of you, or that will completely remind him of you when you're not there. I hope these ideas help out a little bit.

GargoylesLegacy

Kickin' Ass since 1984
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w9
Yeah actually...my Dad and his GF asked me to go and live with them. But I can't just yet. I still have some "unsolved Issues" here, kinda.
And last Time when I was at my Dads and met my Half-Sister for the very first Time (she was still pretty small) she cried when I went home. She has never seen me, but she seemed to know we are related. Was pretty touching actually. So yep, they miss me, especially since we can't talk too much, cuz he has such horrible Work-Scheds. X__x

I'd really love to make him Something Computery, but it's hard. I mean it would suck if I make him Sumfin and he doesn't have a Use for it. ^^°
I know he wouldn't mind a "smaller Gift" but that's just me and my Perfecionism. I feel like I should spend at least 1 Day on his Gift. Hm...maybe I should stick with the Portrait, IDK. Oh and maybe I could make the Frame Computery! I mean okay, a Portrait is not really Something he can "use" but hm...would be cool if I could add some Function to the Portrait or the Frame maybe. :huh:

Oh and BTW, some Time ago I sent him a DVD I made completely myself. I added Songs I sung, Pictures I made, Pics of myself from all the Years he didn't see me etc. I even went around and made Photos in my City to make a "Sight-Seeing Slideshow" for him. Also I wrote a pretty touching Letter with uhm...IDK 3 Pages on 9Pt. He loved it. :yes:
The funniest Thing was, when he asked me how the Hell I did the DVD so well, even tho he is a real Computer Pro and he had given me the Program I partially used himself. *lol*

I guess I should try to make a Portrait of him with some Use (on the Frame or IDK).
Tho, I am still open for Ideas. I need to finish the Girls Gifts still. I am adding decorative Touches to them, and that's gonna take another Bit. Gee, I am a freaking Perfectionist. ^^°°°

Thanks a lot Gin. Seems you inspired me so far. =)

GinKuusouka

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm glad that I could be of some help. I'm not too into the techy stuff myself, but it sounds like you have the start to a great idea. Make the frame more computerized for him. As for use, he would probably get rid of what he's using now so he could use whatever you give to him. That probably doesn't help you much, but that sounds like something he would do by your description. So, even though you probably still will, I'd at least say don't worry so much about that. However, you could try making a collage for a mousepad too. It goes something along the lines of a portrait, but will take more time to build. :) (By the way, I do hope those issues get cleared up for you. :hug: ) You could probably also try etching parts of a poem or a small poem that you wrote into the frame, if you go for that idea. Or, if you could, have it be in a little secret compartment of sorts. lol A trick for him to open so he can find this. Hmmm... :) I don't want to give you too many ideas, but I hope that also helps a little bit.