• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

whats the deal with sodium

G-Virus

Broud Balestinian
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Hell no. I have been known to make some killer burgers, little did they know that the grill masters secret was MSG (in a shaker labled secret herb blend).

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
This thread sounds like a really bad Seinfeld routine.

Unless your sodium intake is about to give you a heart attack, why the sodium-hate?

G-Virus

Broud Balestinian
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
This thread sounds like a really bad Seinfeld routine.

Unless your sodium intake is about to give you a heart attack, why the sodium-hate?

Some people hate it because it not only raises their blood pressure it also promotes water retention making them look pudgy. :D

ragashree

Reason vs Being
MBTI Type
Mine
Enneagram
1w9
Hell no. I have been known to make some killer burgers, little did they know that the grill masters secret was MSG (in a shaker labled secret herb blend).

That stuff makes me ill. I don't think I'm actually allergic as such, but I can detect minute amounts in just about any foodstuff (no matter what other flavours there are) by the nasty cloying chemical flavour and the even more unpleasant stagnant aftertaste, which can persist until the next day after eating only one nicely MSG'd food item. On the few occasions recently I have eaten a larger quantity (eg a probably heavily adulterated Chinese meal) I have had some variation on nausea, fatigue, headaches, nausea, palpitations, disturbed dreams... you name it, MSG is to blame! ;)

The funny thing is that I don't think it bothered me much when I was young and used to be fed/eat all kinds of crap. It's only since I've become an adult and been largely cooking my own food (therefore knowing exactly what goes into it, and avoiding all unnecessary chemical additives) that I've become as sensitive to it as I now seem to be. I now have to avoid nearly all heavily processed foods and things like ordinary flavoured potato chips (some of the more expensive ones are ok) and definitely anything containing stock cubes. Even if it doesn't cause the nasty physiological symptoms I will still have the horrid taste to bug me for some time.

I know a couple of other people who get a similar problem with MSG, too. And no, none of us are allergy sufferers, food fetishists or vegans. The only common factor seems to that we have been cooking for ourselves/families for a long time and avoided putting crap into our food.

Food for thought, heh...