• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Pasta: a simple or complex carb?

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
I've always assumed it to be a simple carb comparable to white bread or white rice but I've seen it a few times on lists of "good carbs."

Any one know the low down?

Bella

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Yes, I think they're deluding themselves. I can only see wholewheat pasta being a complex carb.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Beat, you disappoint me. I thought this was going to be a thread about what your favorite pasta is. :(

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
Beat, you disappoint me. I thought this was going to be a thread about what your favorite pasta is. :(

Oh, we can steer it that way...

Call me boring but I just really like a good spaghetti recipe. No, I LOVE a good spaghetti recipe. Let's eat!

Bella

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Yes, I love it too. Specially with a tomato-y sauce.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
I hate when spaghetti has chunks of tomato in it, probably because I don't like tomato's.

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
I've always assumed it to be a simple carb comparable to white bread or white rice but I've seen it a few times on lists of "good carbs."

Any one know the low down?

Scientific definition of simple carb => simple sugar... monosaccharides (glucose, frutose, lactose, galactose) or disaccharides which is two monosaccharides linked together.

That's not really what they're referring to when they talk about simple vs complex carbs though... Even some complex carbs are healthy. :dry:

The easiest way to know whether it's "good" carbs or not is in refinement. The more refinement eg processed potato powder in chips, the worse it is for you.

pippi

MBTI Type
xxxx
Whole wheat pasta is a complex carb. The regular semolina one is not.

ps: The more processed or cooked a carb is the easier it is to convert it to sugar so cook it al dente.

wolfy

awsm
The best pasta diet wise is made from quinoa. That pasta is a complex carb.
Like everyone said it depends on what grain it's made from.

Eldanen

Arcesso pulli gingerios!
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I've never had quinoa pasta. I've had spelt though. Does that count as complex?

Bella

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Quinoa is definitely complex. But how do you mean pasta? It's a grain. Unless they've started making pasta out of it. Did they?

Eldanen

Arcesso pulli gingerios!
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Quinoa is definitely complex. But how do you mean pasta? It's a grain. Unless they've started making pasta out of it. Did they?

They did. As well as spelt.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I agree with Beat, tomato chunks are icky, but I also dislike tomatoes! (however, I like marinara sauce :doh:)

I'm always fond of farfalle with sundried tomato pesto, tuna and kalamata olives :wubbie:

Midget

MBTI Type
ENFP
Ugh...I HATE tomatoe chunks, too. Ick tomatoes. But chunk-free sauce is fine. :p